Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 23, 2013
7:32:41 PM
Connecting Uverse Receiver to another router?

my current wireless/wired setup is as follows:

Computer --wired connection --Uverse router-- wired connection -- Uverse Receiver

however, i'd like to use:

Computer --wired connection --Uverse router-- wired connection -- Third Party Router -- Uverse Receiver

so i can add additional devices (in the living room) to the network. (ie: smartTV, media center computer)

but apparently, the uverse receiver knows its not directly connected to the uverse router, but HOW?! and shouldn't this be able to be bypassed?

i've tested the setup, everything else connects EXCEPT the receiver.

the subnet mask is the same, the DNS is the same; unless the uverse is reading a port i don't know?

the chat i've had with the tech support just says "boost the wireless signal".. 

you'd think, if we pay all this money for their service, we should be able to use the service the way that seems best possible?

my current wireless/wired setup is as follows:

Computer --wired connection --Uverse router-- wired connection -- Uverse Receiver

however, i'd like to use:

Computer --wired connection --Uverse router-- wired connection -- Third Party Router -- Uverse Receiver

so i can add additional devices (in the living room) to the network. (ie: smartTV, media center computer)

but apparently, the uverse receiver knows its not directly connected to the uverse router, but HOW?! and shouldn't this be able to be bypassed?

i've tested the setup, everything else connects EXCEPT the receiver.

the subnet mask is the same, the DNS is the same; unless the uverse is reading a port i don't know?

the chat i've had with the tech support just says "boost the wireless signal".. 

you'd think, if we pay all this money for their service, we should be able to use the service the way that seems best possible?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 25, 2013 8:44:47 PM
(0)
Expert

cottenwess wrote:
I need more wired ports most of all. Netflix can't get enough bandwidth for HD streaming. And have to transfer files via disk or flash drive to media PC .

Replace the wireless router you're using in that location with a Gigabit Ethernet switch.  The switch should allow all wired devices to work correctly, however, there are some devices that might be bothered by the large amount of multicast IP traffic that will occur on all ports when the STB is powered on.  If oyu have any devices that are sensitive to the multicast traffic then you will either have to A) turn off the STB when using those devices, or B) use VLAN-capable switches to separate the IPTV and computer network traffic, or C) run a second Ethernet cable to separate the IPTV and computer network traffic.

The recommended Gigabit Ethernet switch is the NetGear GS-108 (8 ports) or GS-105 (5 ports).

Accepted Solution

Connecting Uverse Receiver to another router?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2013 7:43:50 PM
(0)
Expert
At the location where you've installed the router -- do you need the wireless network on this router? Or do you just need more wired ports to connect the other devices?

At the location where you've installed the router -- do you need the wireless network on this router? Or do you just need more wired ports to connect the other devices?

Re: Connecting Uverse Receiver to another router?

2 of 6 (8,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2013 3:42:57 PM
(0)
Tutor
I need more wired ports most of all. Netflix can't get enough bandwidth for HD streaming. And have to transfer files via disk or flash drive to media PC .

3 of 6 (8,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2013 4:36:48 PM
(0)
Employee
In essence you need two cables one from RG to Uverse receiver, a second from RG to other router.
How many TV receiver (Uverse), DVR has to be hardwired to RG,
could add WAP and wireless receiver ($49 one time charge) plus $7 per month per receiver above DVR.

The Uverse receiver is multicast iptv, your internet devices are something different, the Uverse equipment hardwired can work on a gigabit switch but not supported with other devices. http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020046&q_sku=sku3950269&q_manufactu...

Ethernet cable to switch, receiver and internet devices hardwired to switch.

Your options, encourage the wireless receiver approach
In essence you need two cables one from RG to Uverse receiver, a second from RG to other router.
How many TV receiver (Uverse), DVR has to be hardwired to RG,
could add WAP and wireless receiver ($49 one time charge) plus $7 per month per receiver above DVR.

The Uverse receiver is multicast iptv, your internet devices are something different, the Uverse equipment hardwired can work on a gigabit switch but not supported with other devices. http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020046&q_sku=sku3950269&q_manufacturer=&q_model=

Ethernet cable to switch, receiver and internet devices hardwired to switch.

Your options, encourage the wireless receiver approach
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 6 (8,818 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2013 9:39:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Edited by browndk26 on Dec 25, 2013 at 9:42:45 AM

When we had Uverse TV, I connected our apple TV direct to the Uverse STB via ethernet cable. I never had any problems using Netflix that way.Our STB's were all connected via RG6 cables from the NID (outside box). RG was (and still is) connected by ethernet cable to the NID. I also connected other devices by etherent cable to the STB to do firmware updates. Have you tried connecting your netflix device to an STB via ethernet cable?

When we had Uverse TV, I connected our apple TV direct to the Uverse STB via ethernet cable. I never had any problems using Netflix that way.Our STB's were all connected via RG6 cables from the NID (outside box). RG was (and still is) connected by ethernet cable to the NID. I also connected other devices by etherent cable to the STB to do firmware updates. Have you tried connecting your netflix device to an STB via ethernet cable?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
5 of 6 (8,794 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 25, 2013 8:44:47 PM
(0)
Expert

cottenwess wrote:

Replace the wireless router you're using in that location with a Gigabit Ethernet switch.  The switch should allow all wired devices to work correctly, however, there are some devices that might be bothered by the large amount of multicast IP traffic that will occur on all ports when the STB is powered on.  If oyu have any devices that are sensitive to the multicast traffic then you will either have to A) turn off the STB when using those devices, or B) use VLAN-capable switches to separate the IPTV and computer network traffic, or C) run a second Ethernet cable to separate the IPTV and computer network traffic.

The recommended Gigabit Ethernet switch is the NetGear GS-108 (8 ports) or GS-105 (5 ports).

cottenwess wrote:

6 of 6 (8,773 Views)
Solution
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments