miltonq's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, July 10th, 2014 3:16 PM

Configure Netgear N900 as access point for uverse -- help

I have uverse in my home which uses a 2WIRE 3801HGV.  The signal on it doesn't cover my whole house, so they also installed another access point using 2WIRE i38HG.  So I can connect to either one of these networks in the house.  However, this still doesn't provide me sufficient coverage.

I own a Netgear N900, which I can get online as a stand-alone router and it does the job great for me.  Much better coverage (no comparison!) to the 2WIRE products, however it is online as a router, not an access point. I think this is why I can not see my other devices.  For example, I have a wireless printer and an Apple TV hooked up to the N900 network.  Unless I am using a computer connect to the N900 network, I can not see the those devices.  So I want to configure it as an Access Point instead of a router, and I can't for the life of me get it to work!

BOTTOM LINE QUESTION:

I have 2WIRE 3801HGV and Netgear N900.  Can someone please provide me directions how to get these two devices in the best possible network configuration (I assume that means using N900 as AP) such that devices on my home network can see one another regardless of which router/AP they are connected to?  Also, can you please advise if it is best to have different SSID's or the same?  I would rather not have to change SSID's depending on which room in the house I am in, but I don't know if you get better performance that way or not.  (One other note: yes, I have a hardwire running from the 2WIRE 3801HGV to my upstairs media closet where I am looking to have the N900 sit, so I do have hardwire connectivity between the 2 devices)

Any help you can provide in configuring my N900 in the best possible manor to work with my uverse would be REALLY appreciated.  I have burned way too many hours scouring the internet to get this set up working optimally.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

see post 13 in this thread on generically configuring a router as an access point behind a 2WIRE RG.

It boils down to:

• Connect a LAN port on the router (instead of the WAN port) to an RG LAN port
  • Turn off DHCP on the router
  • Fix each wireless access point/router at a different channel from the set 1, 6, and 11.
  • Best Practice: Set the SSID and wireless security settings of all of the wireless access point/routers to the same values.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks.  Going to try again... feels like I have tried this, but I will follow your directions.

Question though:  The Netgear N900 has an "AP Mode".  Should I use it, or leave it as a router?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

You can certainly try using the router's own AP mode.  In that case, you should be able to hook it up to the RG using the router's WAN port instead of using a LAN port.

I have not tried this myself, though I don't see why it wouldn't work, given that Netgear does what one would expect when placed in AP mode.  My expectations are that it quits acting as a layer 3 (i.e. TCP/IP routing device) and acts as a layer 2 (switch) device, with all RJ45 jacks (and the wireless radio) connected to the same LAN.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I'm working on this right now.  Another question:  The N900 has a 2.5GHZ and a 5GHZ option.  You set a different SSID for each.  Do you recommend I utilize the 2.5GHZ  one or the 5GHZ one?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I'm up and running now!  Thank you!!!

I honestly don't know what I was doing before, I swear I would have done your steps but obviously not.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

(by the way, I am using 2.4GHZ... I set up the 5GHZ as a different SSID which guests can use.  Let me know if you think I should do it differently).

Thanks for everything!

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

2.4 GHz has a longer range (theoretically), but is a crowded space... Microwave Ovens, Cordless Phones, Baby Monitors, other peoples 2.4 GHz networks...

5.0 GHz is shorter range, but normally has less interference.  You can use either or both as you choose.  The AT&T gear doesn't have 5.0 capability, so you don't want to try to share one SSID between your router at 5.0 Ghz and the 2WIRE gear.

Glad you have it working.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.