For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
D4V1D1's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, September 9th, 2015 11:19 AM

Can I buy my own wireless router for Uverse and avoif the $7 monthly rental?

I called AT&T on 9/8/15 and asked a representative if it is possible to purchase my own wireless router for my U-verse Internet/Voice service and avoid the $7 monthly rental fee, and was told that I could.  But on the AT&T forum, people said that it is NOT possible to avoid the $7 monthly fee, even if I purchase the equipment.  Who is correct?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

I'm sorry that you were so terribly misinformed but as pedro said, all equipment is leased and incurs a monthly fee.  This includes the Residential Gateway (aka RG/router/modem) which is wireless capable.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

9 years ago

@Chano wrote:

So, I don't understand.  Can't you or can you buy your own router (the same model) and remove that rental fee? 

No, you cannot.  AT&T charges all customers (who aren't grandfathered under an old policy) an equipment fee.  In any case, you can't buy the same gear directly from the manufacturer because it won't have AT&T's firmware.  You could buy it used, but (a) AT&T will normally give you trouble about activating it, and (b) what's the point, you'll still pay the equipment fee.

Guru

• 

638 Messages

9 years ago

the forum.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

So, I don't understand.  Can't you or can you buy your own router (the same model) and remove that rental fee? 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I called AT&T again today and was told that AT&T owns the wireless router, that I am only leasing it, that it must be returned to AT&T when I cancel my Uverse service, and there is no other alternative.  This reminds me of the OLD AT&T that made us lease their telephones, and would not allow us to connect an aftermarket telephone to our home landline.  Does anyone else remember those (bad old) days?  It appears AT&T is being heavy-handed again.  They didn't learn their lesson the first time around.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

9 years ago

The difference between the change where they had to let you buy CPE (which changed in the 1970's if I remember correctly) and now is that now you can tell AT&T to kiss off and chose someone else (including a Mobile provider) if you don't like the way they do business.

Back then (if you were in their service area), you could only get your phone service from AT&T and not allowing you to use your own CPE was considered abuse of monopoly power.  Since there is competition, no monopoly power.  If you don't like AT&T's business model, choose another.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

8 years ago

Right. there's so much local competition for Internet service now.

Do they really expect me to upgrade my service ever (for a $5 discount for 6 months) when it's going to cost me $99 for a tech install (why?  no one knows, no one understands, but the computer says so so it must be true) AND they're going to start charging me $7/month for the new RG I don't need.

If the current RG breaks, I'm dropping one VOIP line, switching the other one back to POTS, and gritting my teeth and switching to Cable for Internet access, until our local fiber network (publicly owned) is extended to our neighborhood.  Then I never want to see AT&T or Comcast ever again.  I'm currently paying $106/month for 2 VOIP lines and a 12Mbps Internet connection, and they want to add on another $7?  Take a hike.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I agree with everything you said...but in Florida there is really no competition which is why they get away with their antics.  I thought I was getting the $30 deal as advertised which turns out to be 78 and on top of that they collect it all up front because you have to pay a month in advance...at what point in time does a government entity step in and fine ATT for these kinds of false advertising and antics....by the way you are not told any of this until you get an almot immediate bill...I will switch to anybody but comcast because they are even worse...it is enough to make you leave Florida because other states do not allow these kinds of "illegal" practices. linda

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Have had Uverse since approx 2010. Never paid a monthly equipment rental. Last July, At&t technician responded to our Uverse outtage. Problem was at the street. Once connection restored, replaced our old router with a Pace 5268AC FXN. Works great, but when we received our next bill we were charged a monthly equipment fee. Tech did not advise us of the new fee & he took our old router. Called At&t & representative who said the fee is for equipment rental (no kidding, that's what was listed on the bill). She also said it was "like" insurance in case the equipment failed & needed to be replaced. Never notified of the fees. No option to get old router back. Initially At&t refused to refund, but instead credited our account $49 (that'll cover about 7 months). After seeing I was unable to purchase my own router, called back threatening a BBB report. Requested to speak to manager to get equipment fee removed. Promised that the fee will be removed. I'll believe it when I see it gone. Very shady! If you've never paid an equipment fee & At&T replaces your router, don't accept a credit. Escalate your request until it's removed!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.