For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
OhioRandy's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, July 30th, 2015 6:23 PM

Arris NVG589 Router: ATTs Best?? OR is there a better/newer one available on the Market??

EDITED from July 27:  To start, Im not a total tech saavy person but i know enough to b dangerous.  I currently have the Arris NVG589 and we have wireless signal problems (Currently have 45mbps service) and also pixelation on our TV service on ALL of our TVs (Wireless or ethernet).  I have read that there is such a problem between these ROUTERS and picture quality on this community board.  We have had ATT here numerous times and they have replaced lines did this or did that to improve signal and picture quality to no avail.  Ive also had the main board replaced (Not cheap but, under warranty) on my 65" Toshiba tv initially thinking it was a tv problem and only related to that tv, only to find out it was ALL our Tvs in the house, and all are less than 2 years old. So it goes back to the "ROUTER" issue again and replacement.   Is the Arris NVG589 the most current/best  model that ATT offers?  Is there a better one on the market that could possibly alleviate these problems and how do i get it?  Oh, I have a 1200 square ft. house, so coverage area for wireless isnt the problem because its so small.  Thank you so much for any anticipated help in solving this mystery. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

@OhioRandy wrote:

... I currently have the Arris NVG589 and we have wireless signal problems (Currently have 45mbps service)... 

Please describe your wireless signal problems: Are you talking about your wireless TV Receivers or your Internet devices?  Describe your problems.  Do you have your Wireless Access Point for your wireless TV receivers at least 3 feet (or more) away from your NVG589?

Have you tested wired speeds (i.e. a speed test from a computer connected to the NVG589 via an Ethernet cable)?

@OhioRandy wrote:

...  I currently have the Arris NVG589 and we have ... pixelation on our TV service on ALL of our TVs (Wireless or ethernet).  I have read that there is such a problem between these ROUTERS and picture quality on this community board.  ...

Where did you read that?  I know of no such relationship.  And I've read quite a few posts on this board.  Is it possible what you're seeing are artifacts of the compression to 6 Mbps?  Have you watched HD content on some other U-verse subscriber's TV (or at an AT&T Store) for comparison?  Can you further explain when you see this pixelation and what it looks like?

@OhioRandy wrote:

...Is the Arris NVG589 the most current/best  model that ATT offers?  Is there a better one on the market that could possibly alleviate these problems and how do i get it?...

Yes, the NVG589 is the best Residental Gateway that AT&T uses for non Gigapower installations.  If you have 45 Mbps HSI, there is no other device that fits your needs.

Have you, yourself, looked at your line stats using the NVG589's diagnostics page?  Take a browser to 192.168.1.254, click on the Broadband tab and look for the sync rates and error stats.  Copy and past them here, let us take a look and see if theres something wrong there.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Line 1 Line 2   Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream

Line StateUpUp
Downstream Sync Rate (kbps)2933425896
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps)30403040
Downstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)4636842456
Upstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)1129511961
ModulationVDSL2VDSL2
Data PathInterleavedInterleaved
SN Margin (dB)15.422.515.422.5
Line Attenuation (dB)54.040.253.540.8
Output Power(dBm)14.48.614.58.6
Errored Seconds21050
Loss of Signal0000
Loss of Frame0000
FEC Errors2433830423940
CRC Errors720110
Aggregated Information
Bonded Downstream Rate55230
Bonded Upstream Rate6080
IPv6
StatusAvailable
Global Unicast IPv6 Address2602:306:34b4:c0a0::/60
Border Relay IPv4 Address12.83.49.81
IPv4 Statistics
Transmit Packets40495513
Transmit Errors0
Transmit Discards6
IPv6 Statistics
Transmit Packets91056
Transmit Errors0
Transmit Discards0

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

OhioRandy wrote:

... I currently have the Arris NVG589 and we have wireless signal problems (Currently have 45mbps service)... 

Please describe your wireless signal problems: Are you talking about your wireless TV Receivers or your Internet devices?  Describe your problems.  Do you have your Wireless Access Point for your wireless TV receivers at least 3 feet (or more) away from your NVG589?

Have you tested wired speeds (i.e. a speed test from a computer connected to the NVG589 via an Ethernet cable)?

****We have a 1200 sq ft. house and the farthest point in the house only gets about 15 mbps wireless on laptop and play station 3's, I just went down there and ran a test w my cell phone on ookla and got Ping 29 ms / DL 18.30 mbps / UL 5.68 mbps.  Yes the WAP is at the least 20 ft from the tvs.  I use Ookla as a speed tester and on this PC which is connected via Ethernet cable and I gets great speed at an average of 45 mbps, current test reads DL 45.31 and UL 5.72.  I apologize for the seperate responses to your questions but im new to using boards and im unaware of how to reply to each of yo questions in one reply. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.