Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 7, 2013
7:46:06 AM
Adding a second router to network. Can I give it a public IP address?
Edited by deezeejoey on Dec 7, 2013 at 7:46:50 AM

I just bought an Asus RT-N66W router. It has plenty of great features which I would love to use. One of those features is using a DDNS server.

The issue is that my Asus router has a private IP address given from the AT&T Uverse Modem/Router.

Idealy I would like to disable DHCP entirely on the uverse box and just serve the public IP address to my Asus router.

I called AT&T for support. They quickly transfered me to support line in which I would have to pay +$16/month. (?!?!) For them to help me.  

Network Setup

Internet > Uverse Box > Asus Router > Computers

For the moment I've placed the router in the "DMZPlus" zone. so that I am at least not going through 2 firewalls. 

I've been wondering if the Cascaded Router feature might help,

Is there something I might be missing? 

This was much easier to set up back when I had Time Warner... 

I just bought an Asus RT-N66W router. It has plenty of great features which I would love to use. One of those features is using a DDNS server.

The issue is that my Asus router has a private IP address given from the AT&T Uverse Modem/Router.

Idealy I would like to disable DHCP entirely on the uverse box and just serve the public IP address to my Asus router.

I called AT&T for support. They quickly transfered me to support line in which I would have to pay +$16/month. (?!?!) For them to help me.  

Network Setup

Internet > Uverse Box > Asus Router > Computers

For the moment I've placed the router in the "DMZPlus" zone. so that I am at least not going through 2 firewalls. 

I've been wondering if the Cascaded Router feature might help,

Is there something I might be missing? 

This was much easier to set up back when I had Time Warner... 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 7, 2013 1:02:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The DMZplus mode means that when your router makes a DHCP request to the RG, the RG gives it the public IP address.

This is probably exactly what you want.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Adding a second router to network. Can I give it a public IP address?

[ Edited ]
3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 7, 2013 12:57:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

This should help you ....click here

This should help you ....click here

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Adding a second router to network. Can I give it a public IP address?

2 of 4 (3,729 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 7, 2013 1:02:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The DMZplus mode means that when your router makes a DHCP request to the RG, the RG gives it the public IP address.

3 of 4 (3,725 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 5:14:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

DMZ Plus mode did work. I just needed to reboot the router!

Thank you guys for the response. 

DMZ Plus mode did work. I just needed to reboot the router!

Thank you guys for the response. 

4 of 4 (3,702 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments