Joe Golden's profile

Mentor

• 

59 Messages

Wednesday, April 11th, 2012 12:08 AM

Add More Ports to the RG

Hello everyone.

Last week I ordered the new wireless STB and I am very happy with it, but, I had no idea that I would have to plug in a access point into a port on the RG.  I was already using all four of them before, now I need one more.  Anyone n

know of any ideas that I can use that would make this happen?  Many thanks to all responders.

Joe

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Yes, you can use a Gigabit Ethernet switch to expand the number of ports.  The NetGear GS105 and GS108 switches are known to work well with U-Verse.

Mentor

• 

59 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks, ordered the GS105 and will have it thursday 4-12.

That sure was a quick response.  This board rocks!

joe

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Simple to plug an inexpensive ethernet switch (Cisco-Linksys EZXS55W EtherFast 10/100 5-Port Workgroup Switch)

to one of the RG ports and use its 4 ports for whatever else you want to connect.  This will  free up a port for the wireless box which is best plugged directly into to the RG. 

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

@billy2moto wrote:

Simple to plug an inexpensive ethernet switch (Cisco-Linksys EZXS55W EtherFast 10/100 5-Port Workgroup Switch) to one of the RG ports and use its 4 ports for whatever else you want to connect.

Yes, that will work for computers and other Internet devices only.  But if you try that with the DVR or STB units plugged into it it will fail miserably.  As the OP did not tell us what devices were in use, the recommendation to use a Gigabit Ethernet switch which is known to handle all U-Verse traffic was made to prevent this problem.

Mentor

• 

59 Messages

12 years ago

I like the KISS approach to all problems.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.