Wineaux's profile

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

Monday, May 14th, 2012 1:29 AM

Closed

802.11N Gateway?

It's been what, 4 years now for uVerse? 802.11N is now a fully ratified standard, and has been for years. Most every laptop, tablet, and cellphone is now shipping with built in 802.11N support. 802.11AC draft gear should start shipping this fall! I think most of us are sick and tired of having to put a second wireless router behind our 2Wire router for uVerse, and then not be able to use all the neat new WiFi remote apps for our cellphone's, including the most recent uVerse app. Seriously, it's time for AT&T to defecate or get off the pot and release either an 802.11N gateway, or an 802.11AC draft gateway. When can we expect to see AT&T make this very minor technological update and join the rest of us in the 21st Century?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

12 years ago

Why does one need  N?   (Which I have via the Apple Airport Extreme).  My Mac Pro Desktop acts as my primary machine.. All of my video is stored on it  and streamed to the TV and what ever other device some one wants to watch it on.   My thousand+ CD/mp3/itunes library  is likewise stored here, and all our iTune devices stream music from the shared libraries as well as being used to feed music to my surround sound system and the distributed sound system.  I use my iPad to play shared iTunes and then stream it via Airplay to my sound system, giving me a cool roving remote for my music, but hte stream has to come in from the Mac, to the ipad and backout to the Airplay devices. All in all, the N keeps up with hardly a glitch, but the hold G system just couldn' handle all the traffic.   I don't even game (no time) and I still load the N network ( Home network is 21 devices  without visitors (12 wired, 9 wireless) ).  The N is mostly for the video obviously, but also steps up to the demand of multiple devices.  It's not so much the N to access the public internet, but rather to satisfy the demands of all the devices in on the local LAN. 

I think this situation is likely to become the norm rather than the exception. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

When will AT&T support 802.11AC???

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

The need for speed. 802.11g is limited to 54mbs. I want dual band at least 300+300. The ability to create SSID for visitors would be very nice.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

@RobM314 wrote:
The need for speed. 802.11g is limited to 54mbs. I want dual band at least 300+300. The ability to create SSID for visitors would be very nice.

It will not make your Internet connection any faster.  I laugh everytime someone brings up the subject of wanting Wireless-N, when their Internet speed does not give the means to even needing anything faster than Wireless-G.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

The solution is to disable U-verse wireless settings and install a separate wireless n or ac router.   I just did so with the Belkin 900ac router.  Set up was effortless.  I was soon streaming media on 5ghz & other data on 2.4ghz and communicating between my various computers on my home network.  The only reason I did this was to increase range as ATT's 2WIRE 3801HGV doesn't have enough range to meet my needs.   Unfortunately, neither did the  Belkin as it's range was also poor.   I picked up the Belkin at a nationally known warehouse store at only $100.   I returned the router and will switch to the ASUS RT-66U 802.11ac at about $200 which has much better range and performance.   A single band wireless n  router that has great range and performance is the D-Link DIR-645.  Originally listed at $129, it can be found as low as $69.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:

@RobM314 wrote:

It will not make your Internet connection any faster.  I laugh everytime someone brings up the subject of wanting Wireless-N, when their Internet speed does not give the means to even needing anything faster than Wireless-G.

You seem to be forgetting that the people using wireless won't be sitting their computer directly next to the gateway. You'll probably not even get high enough throughput a room or so away for a 23/3 tier. I was 3 or so rooms away with my gateway with 4 bars and could barely get over 7 Mbps when transfering files.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@oufanindallas wrote:

@Darknessrise wrote:

@gregzoll_1 wrote:

@RobM314 wrote:

You seem to be forgetting that the people using wireless won't be sitting their computer directly next to the gateway. You'll probably not even get high enough throughput a room or so away for a 23/3 tier. I was 3 or so rooms away with my gateway with 4 bars and could barely get over 7 Mbps when transfering files.

And wireless N would have even less range.  G is better for longer distances.

It's not whether it's "G" or "N", it's all about the frequency. 5GHz has a lower penetration rate than 2.4 GHz. If you were on either side of a football field (line of sight) and tested 2.4 GHz against 5 GHz it would be a tie (range wise), but stick them in a building with walls and 2.4 GHz will win every time when it comes to distance. So in a residential setting I would say A MIMO "N" at 2.4 GHz would be your best bet. I'm stiil using an old D-Link DIR-655 which runs it "N" radio at 2.4 GHz and I can get a 150Mbps connection in my back yard ~ 250 feet from the house.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

11 years ago

Unfortunately, y'all have missed the point of having 802.11n on the 2-Wire gateway.

1) By having slower devices on my home network, like the 802.11g gateway, you slow down my entire wireless home network.  Transfering data to and from the Internet is but one component of a modern home wireless network,  I stream audio and video across my network internally, as well as copying file, and printing.  By not upgrading the gateway to 802.11n, and by the end of Q1 of 2013 to 802.11ac, AT&T is throttling and limiting my own internal network and my ability to stream hi-def video within my my home from my media server to other TV's and tablets throughout the house.

2) 802.11g can handle 720p streaming pretty well, but 1080p or 1080p 3D?  Not on a bet!  We're using IPTV to stream HDTV throughout our homes with uVerse.  Limiting our ability to do that wirelessly is crazy and shortsighted. 

Welcome to the future, and it is here now.  I expect to be able to stream my media within my home without issues.  Some executive at AT&T got a bonus for bringing those 2-Wire's in under budget by saving $2-5 when they saddled us with an 802.11g radio instead of an 802.11n radio, and then they ordered so danged many of them to bring the costs down another couple of bucks that we've been stuck with the danged things for way too many years since they have a warehouse full of the things and can't afford to make an upgraded box. 

So by saving a few bucks, AT&T forces its users to spend ~$50-150 on a secondary router that doesn't play well with the 2-Wire, and isn't supported by AT&T.  They just throw their customers to the wolves and let them sink or swim.  Networking isn't the easiest of subjects to master.  I know a whole lot more than most people, including the majority of AT&T's installers and techs, but I still needed to get a buddy of mine to help me get things seemless on my wireless network.  Well, it's sort of seemless.  The 2-Wire will no longer allow me to log onto my secondary router, even though it works and I can see it on the network, including the correct address for it.  So that means I'm going to have to reset the router to factory settings and go through that crap all over again, just to be able to open up a port for my Plex server to share my media via my MyPlex account.

This is just ridiculous, and trying to spin this mess into a discussion that AT&T's customers expect that an 802.11n router is going to give them faster internet speeds is just plain disingenuous and somewhat insulting.  There is a true FIOS provider working their way towards my neighborhood right now.  I don't expect AT&T to fix this, or any other of their myriad technical and call center issues before they arrive, and when they do I'm out.  Why in the heck are folks on here defending AT&T's *** technical implementations instead of pushing them to upgrade their equipment to not only keep up with current trends and usage, but just play catch up?  Is it just because the majority of the regular posters on here are AT&T employees and they see it as part of their job to defend AT&T at every opportunity when customers come here to ask questions or voice concerns or complaints?  It's not the first time that I've seen that happen, and I'm certain that it won't be the last.  It's also yet another reason that I'm pretty much done with uVerse, and AT&T as a company.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@Wineaux wrote:

Unfortunately, y'all have missed the point of having 802.11n on the 2-Wire gateway.

1) By having slower devices on my home network, like the 802.11g gateway, you slow down my entire wireless home network.  Transfering data to and from the Internet is but one component of a modern home wireless network,  I stream audio and video across my network internally, as well as copying file, and printing.  By not upgrading the gateway to 802.11n, and by the end of Q1 of 2013 to 802.11ac, AT&T is throttling and limiting my own internal network and my ability to stream hi-def video within my my home from my media server to other TV's and tablets throughout the house.

2) 802.11g can handle 720p streaming pretty well, but 1080p or 1080p 3D?  Not on a bet!  We're using IPTV to stream HDTV throughout our homes with uVerse.  Limiting our ability to do that wirelessly is crazy and shortsighted. 

Welcome to the future, and it is here now.  I expect to be able to stream my media within my home without issues.  Some executive at AT&T got a bonus for bringing those 2-Wire's in under budget by saving $2-5 when they saddled us with an 802.11g radio instead of an 802.11n radio, and then they ordered so danged many of them to bring the costs down another couple of bucks that we've been stuck with the danged things for way too many years since they have a warehouse full of the things and can't afford to make an upgraded box. 

So by saving a few bucks, AT&T forces its users to spend ~$50-150 on a secondary router that doesn't play well with the 2-Wire, and isn't supported by AT&T.  They just throw their customers to the wolves and let them sink or swim.  Networking isn't the easiest of subjects to master.  I know a whole lot more than most people, including the majority of AT&T's installers and techs, but I still needed to get a buddy of mine to help me get things seemless on my wireless network.  Well, it's sort of seemless.  The 2-Wire will no longer allow me to log onto my secondary router, even though it works and I can see it on the network, including the correct address for it.  So that means I'm going to have to reset the router to factory settings and go through that crap all over again, just to be able to open up a port for my Plex server to share my media via my MyPlex account.

This is just ridiculous, and trying to spin this mess into a discussion that AT&T's customers expect that an 802.11n router is going to give them faster internet speeds is just plain disingenuous and somewhat insulting.  There is a true FIOS provider working their way towards my neighborhood right now.  I don't expect AT&T to fix this, or any other of their myriad technical and call center issues before they arrive, and when they do I'm out.  Why in the heck are folks on here defending AT&T's ** technical implementations instead of pushing them to upgrade their equipment to not only keep up with current trends and usage, but just play catch up?  Is it just because the majority of the regular posters on here are AT&T employees and they see it as part of their job to defend AT&T at every opportunity when customers come here to ask questions or voice concerns or complaints?  It's not the first time that I've seen that happen, and I'm certain that it won't be the last.  It's also yet another reason that I'm pretty much done with uVerse, and AT&T as a company.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Well, you basically seem like the type of person who probably would not utilize the average, consumer grade, ISP provided internet gateway any way.

You're missing the point of the "Internet Gateway". It's a device designed for the ISP to provide access to the internet. As AT&T offers no internet faster than half the wireless speed (and a quarter of the wired speed) of the gateway suits it's purpose fine. It provides more than enough bandwidth to saturate your "internet connection".

As far as the majority of posters being employees, actually better than 95% of the posts on here are from customers just like you, and a lot of us, rather than expect, as you state, AT&T to throw out a warehouse full of gateways and start over, we went out and bought our own routers.

Plus even if they were "N", would it give you any more confidence in the quality of the equipment?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

@Darknessrise wrote:

@gregzoll_1 wrote:

@RobM314 wrote:

My RG sits in our basement, we get 54meg from it through Wifi, I test out at our 12meg speed with the profile that I have with ATT, and when I had 24meg, I still got a 24meg speedtest.  Even at 54 meg with Wireless-G, I have no problems moving files from my desktop to my netbook or vice-versa.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.