Wineaux's profile

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

Monday, May 14th, 2012 1:29 AM

Closed

802.11N Gateway?

It's been what, 4 years now for uVerse? 802.11N is now a fully ratified standard, and has been for years. Most every laptop, tablet, and cellphone is now shipping with built in 802.11N support. 802.11AC draft gear should start shipping this fall! I think most of us are sick and tired of having to put a second wireless router behind our 2Wire router for uVerse, and then not be able to use all the neat new WiFi remote apps for our cellphone's, including the most recent uVerse app. Seriously, it's time for AT&T to defecate or get off the pot and release either an 802.11N gateway, or an 802.11AC draft gateway. When can we expect to see AT&T make this very minor technological update and join the rest of us in the 21st Century?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@Darknessrise wrote:

@gregzoll_1 wrote:

@RobM314 wrote:
The need for speed. 802.11g is limited to 54mbs. I want dual band at least 300+300. The ability to create SSID for visitors would be very nice.

It will not make your Internet connection any faster.  I laugh everytime someone brings up the subject of wanting Wireless-N, when their Internet speed does not give the means to even needing anything faster than Wireless-G.

You seem to be forgetting that the people using wireless won't be sitting their computer directly next to the gateway. You'll probably not even get high enough throughput a room or so away for a 23/3 tier. I was 3 or so rooms away with my gateway with 4 bars and could barely get over 7 Mbps when transfering files.

And wireless N would have even less range.  G is better for longer distances.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

12 years ago

ATT has various 802.11n gateways under test in their labs now to get approved for use, as soon as they get done they will be offered to users.. When?, who knows..

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

12 years ago

If they're looking for beta testers, then all they need to do is visit this forum. Plenty of motivated folks in here for that!

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

They do have "N" gateways. If you want to drop your TV and VOIP and go back to ADSL. There's the Pace 4111N and the Motorola NVG510.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

12 years ago

That solution of course is a joke. Well, so is not having put an 802.11n gateway after all this time.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

12 years ago

What is driving your need for 802.11N?  

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

If I'm not wrong, the stock 802.11g max speed is 54 mbps. I have a dual band N receiver that maxes out at 450+450... 

Mentor

• 

86 Messages

12 years ago

If I'm incorrect, let me know. ATT supplies the RG's to you based on your payment to them for service (be it internet/phone/tv, what have you). Currently, U-verse does not offer 54mbps, or anything close to it, to anything other than some test areas and businesses. Why would ATT try to give you the highest end equipment if the service you are paying for can't even give you that speed?

If you're inquiring about home networking, that's not ATT's issue and you SHOULD have to buy a router in that scenario. I'm sure ATT will roll out a 802.11N RG soon, but it shouldn't be an urgency for them.

Scholar

• 

155 Messages

12 years ago

Just because AT&T offers a slow internet connection doesn't mean all the computers and devices in my house want to talk TO EACH OTHER on a slow connection as well.  Some of us have multiple devices that interact with each other, regardless of the internet.  Why cripple my home network because AT&T can't deliever a tolerable speed?  It's called "home networking", "internet connecting."

Mentor

• 

86 Messages

12 years ago

Home networking and internet connecting are completely separate mediums. One refers to WAN one refers to LAN. What type of work are you doing that you need to have a large amount of throughput on a LAN? Certainly nothing that most users have demand for.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.