For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
craigrbrown's profile

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, December 29th, 2013 11:40 PM

5031NV dmzplus mode affects voice service

I have newly installed U-verse service with a 5031NV modem. When DMZplus mode is enabled on the 5031NV to open the firewall for my DIR-655 router (or any other device), I am experiencing a problem with my voice service.  The problem is that when I make an outgoing voice call, the party I am calling can hear me, but I never hear the phone ringing, nor do I hear anything when the party I am calling answers.  Incoming calls to my phone line are fine.  I am able to "fix" the problem by disabling DMZplus, but the same problem occurs everytime I turn it back on for any device.

I have contacted Uverse 2nd tier tech support with this problem.  They have confirmed that the settings I am using on the 5031NV should not be cause any issues, but they are unable to explain or resolve the problem. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

I totally agree with you. I'm having the same issue, which is annoying. The only alternate solution that works is to dial the number (that does not work on the phone) via the Web Uverse page. This is my workaround. I wish AT&T would address this issue and upgrade to a better RG manufacturer.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

Does this problem affect other VOIP services that are provided by ATAs placed behind the owned router or does it only affect the AT&T VOIP service provided by the 5031NV?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

@Red_Hazard wrote:

Does this problem affect other VOIP services that are provided by ATAs placed behind the owned router or does it only affect the AT&T VOIP service provided by the 5031NV?

I believe that this particular issue was resolved with the latest firmware release for the 5031NV. However, the latest release contains a new firmware bug that renders DMZplus useless until a factory reset is performed.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

What is the latest firmware release and how to get it?  Mine is currently showing version 9.8.1.489233-att. 

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

I don't have a releases list, but AT&T normally keeps Gateways at the most current release automatically (they normally have a rollout schedule that covers all devices over the course of a few weeks).

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

Well, it's the same version as mentioned earlier in this thread, 2 years ago.  This device hasn't seen a firmware update in ages.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

I would suggest doing a factory reset just to see if that triggers a firmware update.

There were several people who reported being affected by the firmware bug with DMZplus mode not passing any traffic when enabled just this summer.  That bug had not appeared before that time frame, so I have to assume it was a firmware update at that time.  There's one report from someone that they received a .10.xxxx version.

If you purchased this 5031 prior to Jan 2015 and you're not currently paying an equipment fee for it, then you might not want to do this, but otherwise you can always ask AT&T to ship you another gateway because this one is not working.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

So, my 5031nv finally got upgraded to Firmware 10.5.1.525917-att, so naturally I wanted to try if the DMZplus feature now works correctly.  But I'm unable to force the 5031nv to put my router in DMZplus mode.  When I select that mode and click "Save", I get this error message:

The selected device has a static IP address. DMZplus requires that the selected device use DHCP to obtain its IP address.

And the problem is that I can't find a way to change it to dynamic IP address.  When I go into LAN IP Address Allocation, "Static IP" is the only option it's giving me (see below).  I can't even delete this device and start from scratch.  AT&T support has been no help.  Frustrating...  Maybe I should try a hard reset in hopes it will wipe all configurations out of it...

5031_add_alloc1.png

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I see the ATT router says your router is connected with static IP.  I believe you must go to your router and set it's WAN to DHCP first.  Then the ATT router should show it as connected via DHCP.  I also believe that DMZ plus will make a DHCP reservation for your router when it is set up.

Please let me know if this works for you, and if the voice works properly.

Thanks

Kol

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

Well, after multiple reboots of my router and the gateway, I was finally able to turn on the DMZplus mode.  It seemingly worked OK initially, but then I noticed sometimes my voice calls would not connect.  I would dial the same number, and 2 out of 3 times, it would just ring for what sounded like half a ring, and then just go silent.  On top of that, the gateway would reboot itself daily, and one day it just would not establish a connection with the AT&T network at all.  No internet, no phone service.  I was instructed to hard reset the gateway to bring it to factory settings, which restored the service.

So, it looks like this latest firmware update still does not solve the original problem.  Disappointing.

Apparently AT&T now provides a newer gateway device, but it's a lease only, so I'm not interested in that.  Maybe this new device doesn't have this problem.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.