tricorn's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Thursday, July 17th, 2014 9:42 PM

5031 and DMZPlus

Just a quick note to anyone else trying to use the DMZPlus feature in the 5031NV RG.  The feature apparently interferes with VOIP connections.

Symptoms were that I could place a call, but couldn't hear anything most of the time.  Some numbers (consistently) worked fine, most didn't.  In at least some cases, the other end could hear me, but I couldn't hear them (I never even heard the ring).

Receiving calls appeared to always work (with one possible exception, but that was while some other issues were going on).

It also seemed to interfere with the VOIP lines registering.  I was able to manually reset them, and then they registered just fine, but doing a power-cycle, the Internet connection was working fine, but the phone lines were showing as inactive.  Not positive that was related, I only did it once.

I see that this issue has been reported, but apparently isn't widely known in tech support.  Not knowing this and/or not fixing this is costing AT&T money trying to resolve voice issues when it's a firmware issue in the RG.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

If you are having an issue with U-verse Voice (VOIP) where

• on some (maybe most) outgoing calls one party cannot hear the other, and/or rings don't happen,
  • incoming calls appear to work,
  • your Residential Gateway is an NV 5031, and
  • RG's DMZplus feature may have gotten turned on (either on purpose, or via Router behind RG detection).

Then there is a known bug in the NV 5031 firmware that is likely causing this.  You either need to turn DMZplus off, or get a different model RG (if possible).

(I have restated much of tricorn's post to try to make sure this shows up in search results and is clearly visible to people having this issue.  I have known this issue has existed since last year, but the knowledge is still not widely available.  I have also taken what steps I know to do to be sure that the responsible people within AT&T are working on this issue).

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

By the way, the ufix trouble-shooting process dead-ends for this problem:

I told it "Cannot make calls"; "Some calls"; etc, and it gets to "What do you hear when you attempt to make an outgoing call?"

The choices are "Busy", "Error Message", "Nothing Happens, still hear Dial Tone", and "Activate Number Message", none of which are what was happening.

Since this is so specific to the 5031, unless there's a firmware fix ready to roll out in the next week, I'd suggest that be updated to include this problem "Don't hear anything, Dial Tone goes away", and verify with "The person on the other end receives my call, but I can't hear them".

Then suggest that the DMZPlus feature may be the issue: "If you've enabled the DMZPlus firewall feature in the gateway, this may be the problem, here's how to check, here's how to turn it off, if you don't understand please contact technical support for assistance."

And when do we get IPv6?  I miss it, I had it on the NVG510 before I upgraded the speed, didn't realize that I'd be losing that.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I can confirm this. Same thing happenned to me. Tried to put 5031 in DMZ plus so I could add router. I can receive calls, but when I dial out, I hear no ringing. I'm calling AT&T after work tonight. I need that extra router (Netgear 2000) because I have and Xbox 360 and Xbox One and NAT will only be "open" for one or the other. Very frustrating. Sounds like a need another modem.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

9 years ago

When a firm knows that a device it supplies (and in my case, for which I was charged $99) fails to operate as its instructions assure the user it will, denies knowledge of any problem after being reported for a year on its own community forum, and continues to supply and charge for said item, there's a good term for that.

It's "consumer fraud."

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I will be going to Comcast if AT&T will not give me another modem/router. I should be able to connect a router to the 5031NV. It's pretty sad that they still can't figure a way to do this. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Had AT&T tech here today. She had the same 5031NV that I already have. We both agreed it would be pointless to replace. Told her that I had installed Netgear router previously (that I returned to best buy) and about not being able to put the 5031NV in DMZ Plus without losing voice. She said there is nothing that AT&T can do. This is the only router they install without leasing one. She said that I should try to hook up the Netgear again and call her when it is set up. She says that maybe they can reset the voice part after I hook up the router. I really find this hard to believe. Ithink she just said this to have some kind of resolution and get on with her day. I'm probably just going to go to Comcast and be done with it.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

There is something AT&T can do... fix the firmware on the 5031.  There is nothing that AT&T can do today to fix the problem other than give you a 3600, which are probably mostly in customer homes, or talk you in to upgrading to Power Tier or U-verse TV so that you have to get a different model RG).

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

You would think in this era of technology that they could figure this out. I surprised this issue is not coming up more often, with households now running multiple gaming consoles. I will never get Uverse TV, so that is out of the question. I guess it's either stay with AT&T and restart router/modem every time I switch from Xbox 360 to Xbox One or vice versa. Or Hello Comcast.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @wheelzbat,

I am so sorry about the issues you are having, but I will be glad to help. The issue we have encountered is that the DMZ function does what it states, but to the extreme. Since VOIP is IP based, what ends up happening is that a set of IP packets for the VOIP session gets sent over to the device in DMZ instead of the appropriate area. We are still working towards resolving the issue while maintaining the DMZ application of forwarding all data as most users request. In the meantime, I will be happy to assist you further and will be sending you a private message.

Also, in the meantime, if you download a program like wireshark, you can trace the packets. Just watch the packets coming in to the device in DMZ mode, and when you make a call, you will see what port the call is coming. From there, as long as you do not forward that port, your calls should work with no issue.

-David T

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks David, I sent you a message this afternoon. I'll wait for your call.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.