For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
dino747's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 11:51 PM

3800HGV AirPort Extreme IP address problem in BRIDGEMODE loose internet connection on iMac

I have Uverse/2-wire3800hgv working flawlessly for years.  I got a new iMac  and  AirPort Extreme that I put into bridge mode so the 3800hgv passes out the IP addresses. I use this 2-wire for my Windows computers wireless (works great for years!) and the AirPort for my iPad and iMac wireles....works great for a day or 3 days, then whenever my iMac wakes from sleep, I get the message "another device is using the same IP  address" which it is not. If I unplug the AirPort and re-start, it works again on my iMac. The airport wireless keeps working fine, it's just the 2-wire thinks the iMac has a conflicted IP address and wont let it connect to the internet.

Is there a way to assign the iMac a static IP? Or is it the AirPort that gets a "static IP"? And is there step by step instructions on here to go into the browser settings of the 2-wire unit to do that?  thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

I am the original poster of this "problem" and am glad (no...ecstatic !) to say it has been solved and working without reverting back to it's problem for 2 months. 

I simply went into the uverse-2wire http homepage setup and changed my 1 computer and airport extreme to a STATIC IP address. It was a bit difficult at 1st to figure out which device name was the airport so I probably ended up putting a stat IP on the airport AND my imac. I just ignored my 2 other computers. After setting the static number to something about 30 numbers higher, you have to hit the apply button and it's set. 

I think it had to do with the 2-wire/hvg unit confusing (or my imac causing the confusion) between the airport and the Imac (2 apple products confused it) and or when my imac went to sleep/woke up 2-wire thought that IP address was already used and it wanted to use it (or something of that nature). It was easier than I thought to do and sorry I didn't reply a earlier when I could have remember step-by step the process, but it was relatively easy. Lot's of luck to you all.

Scholar

• 

133 Messages

13 years ago

I am in Houston Texas and I too have had UVERSE working flawlessly for years.  Within the last 4 days my iMAC is giving me the exact same message as the user above: "another device is using the same IP address".  Unplugging the iMAC doesn't help.  My iMAC is using cat5e into a Netgear GS116E switch which is plugged into Port 4 of the 3800 2 wire router.  The only way to get rid of the message and reconnect is to reboot the gateway.  Before rebooting the RG If I turned off the ethernet card in the iMAC and use the aircard in the iMAC I get connectivity.  It has happened each of the last 4 days.  I'm running OS Lion on my iMAC so I don't know if it is a software upgrade on my OS Lion that is causing the issue or a software upgrade the RG.  I cleared the device list on the Router so it is easier to track the mac addresses that are connecting to the RG (I really don't think there is a duplicate but I've noted the mac address for each piece of hardware I own).  No strange mac address so I don't think my system is hacked.

I've unplugged my AT&T Microcell from Port 3 on the RG and plugged the iMAC cat5e into Port 3 to eliminate the switch from the equation (and to eliminate the AT&T Microcell from the equation as well).  On Port 2 I have a APPLE Time Machine capsule that has been configured the same way for years and I have an Airport Express for music that has been configured the same way for years.  My iMAC doesn't hit the APPLE Time Machine or Airport Express.  My Windows 7 laptop connects to the Apple Time Machine but I typically don't leave the laptop on for more than a few hours so I don't know if it is limited to Apple Computers.

Gateway software is 6.1.9.24-enh.tm

Gateway hardware is 2700-100531-006

It has been 13 hours since reboot of RG, I'm wondering if I will have problems at 24 hrs (DCHP refresh time).  I don't want to go the route of assigning manual IP address.

I'm glad I'm not the only one having a problem and now I know more about IP's and DCHP than I ever thought I would but I'm looking for some advice.

THIS SOUNDS SIMILAR TO ANOTHER RECENT POST "Recent wifi issues" although their issues are wifi but the common thread is Apple devices and IP address.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

I get this every once in awhile if you open Disk Utility and double click the AEBS click

on internet then click TCP/IP then click renew DHCP lease and within a few seconds all

is well. Yes it worked flawless for years that way not sure what party's firmware broke it.

No need to unplug or restart anything.

Scholar

• 

133 Messages

13 years ago

what is Disk Utility, does it ship with MAC OS? I couldn't find it on my iMAC.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

I typed disk in my macmini finder & it lists an app disk utility. When I open it I do not see AEBS, but that may be something I do not have (Airport Express?).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I think the poster meant to say airport utility not disk utility.  I am having this same problem as well and would love to find a fix that does not include me have to go thru this process every day.

Scholar

• 

133 Messages

13 years ago

has anyone heard if the 3801 HGV fixes the problem?

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

Sorry yes I meant Airport Utility and it ships with any of the Airports or can be downloaded at Apples site.

Yes I wish there was a simple fix but so far opening Airport Utility and clicking on internet

and then clicking on TCP/IP then click and hold for a second or two renew DHCP lease

has proven to work everytime it happens which is a lot faster than rebooting anything.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

13 years ago

I don't have this exact  setup,  but close.  Running an Airport Extreme in Bridge Mode with i38HG router (outside NID).  It sounds like you may have two DHCP servers running.   Make sure the DHCP is OFF on your Airport Extreme... you only want the one AT&T device doing the DHCP work.   In my case, I don't use the wireless built into my i38HG, and use the Airport Extreme for all my wireless device (It after all is  N class wireless) including my Windows, printers, Apple TV, iPhones and guest users. It works great.   Even then, the i38HG is assigning all the IPs.   

Also, go into your AT&T device, find the DHCP page and  set  DHCP Release time to something greater than 24 hours.  If you let your make sleep for a couple of days, set this to 36 hours.  Mine is 24 hours, don't remember that is the default or not, but I don't have issues.. but then again most of stuff is on 24x7. 

Here is the page link on my system http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_3

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for coming back and posting that the issue is resolved.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.