madcreates's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, November 4th, 2014 2:25 PM

"Press Okay to watch TV" - My remote does not work - 2 now

Had I known this in advance I never would have signed on for this service.  That "press okay to watch TV" is too annoying.  Why else would I turn on the television if I did not want to watch it - so why do I have to press a button?  But that is the easy part.  My remote - and I am now on the second one - does not work when I press the "okay" button.

So how can I watch my new state of the art HD TV?  

AT&T - is there a work around for this?  Last night I came home exhausted, just wanted to watch mindless television, and I pressed 'okay' and nothing happened.  Nothing.  I have no faith now that a third remote will be any better.

Does anyone have a solution?  I keep reading that this is an AT& T default setting - but it makes no sense.  What am I supposed to do if the remote does not work when I click "okay?"

Should I just keep the television on for 24 hours so it does not go into the sleep mode? Please, can someone, anyone out there help me with this problem.  Otherwise my option is to go back to the competition - and they are truly awful.  But at least I could watch the tube.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@madcreates You could walk over to the unit and press the OK button on the DVR/STB itself to get rid of the screensaver.

Have you made sure to press the ATT button upper left first to put it in Uverse mode?

I've have 2 remotes that are still working after more than 6 years, they are more rugged than you think.

@aviewer Will come on and tell you to get a Logitech Harmony remote.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/universal-remotes#

😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

If "Press OK to watch TV" is coming on each time you turn on your TV, you're doing it wrong.  j/k

It sounds like you're turning the TV off without turning the STB/DVR off.  The Uverse remote should be programmed to control both your TV and the STB.  If it is, both your TV and the box will go off and when you use the "power" button on the remote, it will return you to the last channel you were watching.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

madcreates - I hope you will come back and say your progress because we can only offer possibilities & rely on feedback to build the possibility list.

I do like skeeters suggestion that you get out of sych when powering off. Did you mark it five stars? Or, did someone else? Did you determine yhat was your problem (or not)?

What I find worrysome is that the OK button is not working. This indicates poor IR reception. But, other buttons should have problems. Maybe not.

Is it a DVR - 2250 or the Cisco equivalent? Some have reported IR problems with these boxes. You might swap it with another STB in the house or ask for a replacement.

The IR could be too sensitive or not sensitive enough. Try covering the front of the U-verse box with a sheet of newspaper or something with similar transparency.

Whatever worls or does not work please post.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

How do I program this or how would I turn off the STB (is that the box? ).

It is always on. Thanks will try to apply this when I go home. Will
respond back

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

The remote does not have to be programmed for the STB. In fact you cannot. By factory setting, the remote should control all the STB functions.

One function is that the power button turns the STB on (watching) or asleep(the press OK screen). Yes, it is never cmpltely turned off. Consider the green oval light on the front to indicate on when lit and off when not lit. This will match the viewing - when the green light is lit, you can view a program. When it is not lit, the press OK screen is displayed.

The tech should have programmed it for the TV. Then, the power button will also turn the TV on/ff and the volume /mute buttons will control the TV.

When the STB & TV are in synch, all is well both turn on or off with the same power button press. If they get out of synch - one on & the other off (actually asleep), the OK button allows you to just turn on the STB, without turning off the TV. Since the TV is on, you can see that you need to use the OK button instead of the power button.

Understanding this, should help you to keep them in synch. Then, maybe, we can figure out why the OK button does not appear to work. You are going to need it to make menu/guide  selections.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

Tip of the Day:  When using the ATT Uverse remote to turn off both your TV and STB, you must allow it time to turn BOTH off.  If you press the "power" button and move the remote too soon, it will not turn off one or the other.  You have to give it a second or two to signal both items.

The remote signal goes to one at a time.  It might be turning off the TV but NOT turning the STB off.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

Maybe the poster is pressing the TV button before pressing Power (or is pushing the TV button at sometime for another reason and is not pushing the AT&T button before pushing the power button)?  This would:

1. Cause the Power button to only power up the TV and not the STB, and
  2. Cause the OK button to send an instruction to the TV rather than the STB, preventing it from waking up the STB?

Try pushing the AT&T button prior to the Power button.  See if that helps.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@skeeterintexas It does the DVR/STB first then the TV, can actually watch the lights on the remote when turning things off.  ATT button lites up, then a second or so later the TV button lites up. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Chris:

Color me a novice when it comes to TV technology - I'm really good with computers but for some reason, this television feels intimidating.

I did not know there was an "OK" button on the DVR - (and what does STB stand for anyway?)

I will try pressing the ATT button to put it in the Uverse mode too - these are good suggestions - will try when I get home tonight.

Yesterday a colleague suggested that I program the ATT remote - and printed out instructions for me - I did this last night and after a few tries it worked and I saved it.  However this morning when I got up and turned on the set to see if this was still working, it was not.  It was back to the "press okay" business which is more annoying that I can express.  So now I have to go home and again try to slay the remote "dragon."  Thanks for your comments - will let you know if they work.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I tried to program the ATT remote last night to turn the television on and off along with the box.  That worked but then I had a hard time turning off the tv with the remote.  I thought I had everything in sync and hit the "enter" to save the new programming.   But when I turned the set on this a.m., it was back to the "Press okay," message.  

I understand the box should go off when the TV goes off - mine is always on. 

I've not marked anyone's suggestions 5 stars yet - because I don't know if they are workable suggestions or not.  

I'm really not sure what kind of box I have - will take a close look tonight. 

I do appreciate your comments though - thank you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.