Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Nov 6, 2013
10:44:55 PM
Using Genie Remote to get to TV Menu

Hi all,

I just upgraded one of my receivers to a Genie and got the new remote with it.  On the old remote, I could move the slider bar at the top of the remote to TV and then the Menu button on the remote brought up the TV settings menu.  I used this to set the sleep timer on the TV nightly.  I can't figure out how to get to my TV Settings Menu using the new Genie Remote though.  There's no longer a slider button to switch to TV control and I don't see any buttons that have tat function.  Is there any way to get to the TV settings menu using Genie Remote?  The remote controls the TV fine (volume & input settings work), so if I can just find the proper button combination to get to the TV settings menu, I'll be set.  Thanks!

Hi all,

I just upgraded one of my receivers to a Genie and got the new remote with it.  On the old remote, I could move the slider bar at the top of the remote to TV and then the Menu button on the remote brought up the TV settings menu.  I used this to set the sleep timer on the TV nightly.  I can't figure out how to get to my TV Settings Menu using the new Genie Remote though.  There's no longer a slider button to switch to TV control and I don't see any buttons that have tat function.  Is there any way to get to the TV settings menu using Genie Remote?  The remote controls the TV fine (volume & input settings work), so if I can just find the proper button combination to get to the TV settings menu, I'll be set.  Thanks!

Using Genie Remote to get to TV Menu

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2013 11:06:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I'm not a fan of the new RC71 remote.  I don't think there's a way to bring up your TV's menu with that remote.   You can, however, still use the older style remote with your Genie DVR, as long as you don't use RF mode.

I'm not a fan of the new RC71 remote.  I don't think there's a way to bring up your TV's menu with that remote.   You can, however, still use the older style remote with your Genie DVR, as long as you don't use RF mode.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Using Genie Remote to get to TV Menu

2 of 9 (2,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 6:54:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

I was afraid of that.  Thanks!

I was afraid of that.  Thanks!

3 of 9 (2,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 10:03:20 AM
(0)
Contributor

Please check if this solution works for your TV.

Follow the steps to program your remote to TV. (mute+Select, Enter Code, Press Enter)

Now you could check the volume and Power button to control the TV.

To change the TV inputs, use the (ENTER) Key at the bottom right, below the '9' Key.

You could also find the word (INPUT) at the bottom of that key.

Use the (Long Press ) of the INPUT/ENTER Key.

Long Press::Keep on Pressing at that key for about 7 seconds and then the TV menu to change inputs pops up on the screen.!!

Pressing the key once will show the program guide at the bottom of screen for the channel that is on.

Not sure if this should work for all TVs. My TV Is Panasonic Viera.

Please check if this solution works for your TV.

Follow the steps to program your remote to TV. (mute+Select, Enter Code, Press Enter)

Now you could check the volume and Power button to control the TV.

To change the TV inputs, use the (ENTER) Key at the bottom right, below the '9' Key.

You could also find the word (INPUT) at the bottom of that key.

Use the (Long Press ) of the INPUT/ENTER Key.

Long Press::Keep on Pressing at that key for about 7 seconds and then the TV menu to change inputs pops up on the screen.!!

Pressing the key once will show the program guide at the bottom of screen for the channel that is on.

Not sure if this should work for all TVs. My TV Is Panasonic Viera.

4 of 9 (2,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 1:57:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Right, but this is only for the INPUT.  The OP needs to access the TV menu which is not possible with the RC71
Right, but this is only for the INPUT.  The OP needs to access the TV menu which is not possible with the RC71
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 9 (2,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 5:28:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

That's correct.  I need the TV menu to access the sleep timer and auto on/off options for the TV. 

That's correct.  I need the TV menu to access the sleep timer and auto on/off options for the TV. 

6 of 9 (2,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 6:16:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

and as I said, is not possible

and as I said, is not possible

7 of 9 (2,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2016 5:09:23 AM
(0)
Contributor

It is possible. But you first have to switch from RF mode to IR MODE

It is possible. But you first have to switch from RF mode to IR MODE

8 of 9 (1,608 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2016 9:06:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

@Fireman306 that makes no sense, RF vs IR has no effect on the TV!

@Fireman306 that makes no sense, RF vs IR has no effect on the TV!

9 of 9 (1,540 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments