Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Aug 16, 2014
5:26:48 AM
View profile
Unable to fast forward during commercials

I have the HR44-700 Genie and mostly watch recorded TV series. I just found that I could not skip commercials while watching "Marriage" recorded from the FX channel. An error message appears that says "this program cannot be fast-forwarded". Has the forward skip function been removed in a recent update? This appears to only happen on video recorded from FX.

I have the HR44-700 Genie and mostly watch recorded TV series. I just found that I could not skip commercials while watching "Marriage" recorded from the FX channel. An error message appears that says "this program cannot be fast-forwarded". Has the forward skip function been removed in a recent update? This appears to only happen on video recorded from FX.

Unable to fast forward during commercials

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2014 6:13:41 AM
(0)
Guru

Did you record this from live TV or

The on demand channel.

Did you record this from live TV or

The on demand channel.

Re: Unable to fast forward during commercials

2 of 14 (194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2014 7:38:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

It was recorded from live TV. It is a new series (actually called "Married") that just started on the FX channel. No problem fast forwarding on other recorded series. I suspect that it is the result of some deal between FX and Directv. If the trend continues, it will kill my interest in owing a DVR.

It was recorded from live TV. It is a new series (actually called "Married") that just started on the FX channel. No problem fast forwarding on other recorded series. I suspect that it is the result of some deal between FX and Directv. If the trend continues, it will kill my interest in owing a DVR.

3 of 14 (194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2014 8:03:16 AM
(0)
Guru

I think its more fx than anybody else.

I think its more fx than anybody else.

4 of 14 (194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2014 8:34:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

The "This program cannot fast-forward" appears just above the time line at the bottom of the screen not in the video itself. Seem to me that Directv has permitted FX to imbed a code that brings the message up and disables fast-forward. I would like to know who is responsible and wonder if we will see this on other channels as well.

The "This program cannot fast-forward" appears just above the time line at the bottom of the screen not in the video itself. Seem to me that Directv has permitted FX to imbed a code that brings the message up and disables fast-forward. I would like to know who is responsible and wonder if we will see this on other channels as well.

5 of 14 (194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2014 8:43:02 AM
(0)
Guru

I think it has to do with first run new series.Just my conspiracy theory advertisers wanting to make sure people see the stuff they paid for you to see.

I think it has to do with first run new series.Just my conspiracy theory advertisers wanting to make sure people see the stuff they paid for you to see.

6 of 14 (194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2014 9:21:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

While common on the OnDemand downloads, this is the first I've heard of the live channel recording restricting fast forwarding.  Have you tried resetting the HR44 (red button behind front panel access card door)?

While common on the OnDemand downloads, this is the first I've heard of the live channel recording restricting fast forwarding.  Have you tried resetting the HR44 (red button behind front panel access card door)?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 14 (194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2014 10:44:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

Did the red button reset... no change in the fast forward problem. Cnnot fast forward anytime during the playback (not just commercials).  Show was recorded live on 8/12.

Did the red button reset... no change in the fast forward problem. Cnnot fast forward anytime during the playback (not just commercials).  Show was recorded live on 8/12.

8 of 14 (194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2015 9:40:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

9 of 14 (194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2015 8:58:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Nope. No lie. Everything there is accurate.

Nope. No lie. Everything there is accurate.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 14 (194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2015 9:48:43 AM
(0)
Scholar

If you set the Genie to Record a Season or Series from the Menu (There is a SW issue) It will Record all Shows either broadcast live or from On demand (internet) so It's Possible depending on the Channel -That you were watching a Downloaded show and (example) NBC Shows Downloaded will Disable FF & RW on content.

Selecting a Show from the Guide (and) Pressing the Record button twice will insure it will only record the Series when Shown over Sat (Live) Allowing FF & RW to be Done.

If you set the Genie to Record a Season or Series from the Menu (There is a SW issue) It will Record all Shows either broadcast live or from On demand (internet) so It's Possible depending on the Channel -That you were watching a Downloaded show and (example) NBC Shows Downloaded will Disable FF & RW on content.

Selecting a Show from the Guide (and) Pressing the Record button twice will insure it will only record the Series when Shown over Sat (Live) Allowing FF & RW to be Done.

11 of 14 (194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2015 7:50:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

The TV series in question is "The Big Bang Theory". I selected it from the

guide, and pressed the record button twice to record all episodes. Watching

older recorded episodes I was able to FF and RW without a problem. On the

current episodes I could not FF or RW and the window would pop up telling

me those features had been disabled. My point is this. If Directv is going

to advertise that I can " skip the boring bits when you’re watching a

recorded show? You can do that too." , then they need to put a disclaimer

stating that some networks will disable those features.

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 9:48 AM, gl1800 <directv-admin@forums.directv.com>

The TV series in question is "The Big Bang Theory". I selected it from the

guide, and pressed the record button twice to record all episodes. Watching

older recorded episodes I was able to FF and RW without a problem. On the

current episodes I could not FF or RW and the window would pop up telling

me those features had been disabled. My point is this. If Directv is going

to advertise that I can " skip the boring bits when you’re watching a

recorded show? You can do that too." , then they need to put a disclaimer

stating that some networks will disable those features.

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 9:48 AM, gl1800 <directv-admin@forums.directv.com>

12 of 14 (194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2015 11:26:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I've never seen this issue with any regular satellite channel recordings, only some of the OnDemand downloads disable FF.  If you're sure this is happening with regular satellite channel recordings, try resetting your DVR (red button behind front panel access card door).

I've never seen this issue with any regular satellite channel recordings, only some of the OnDemand downloads disable FF.  If you're sure this is happening with regular satellite channel recordings, try resetting your DVR (red button behind front panel access card door).

13 of 14 (194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2015 6:07:15 AM
(0)
Guru

I can FF in the most recent episode of that show.

I can FF in the most recent episode of that show.

14 of 14 (194 Views)