tom9489's profile

Mentor

• 

68 Messages

Wednesday, February 25th, 2015 10:15 PM

U-verse Remotes and Insignia TVs

I have an Insignia (BestBuy house brand) TV.  When I use the U-verse remote to adjust the volume, it does so VERY SLOWLY.  If I use the TV's remote, the volume changes much more rapidly.

My son has two Insignia TVs and has Time-Warner cable.  He sees the same problem of slow volume adjustment with the Times-Warner remote.

Is this just a quirk of the Insignia TVs or is there a way to speed up the volume adjustment with the U-verse remote?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

You could try here - http://www.insigniaproducts.com/support.html

I suppose they could say their products work fine it is a u-verse problem.

You have to think of how to make it sound like they have something unusual & are not sharing in correctly - i.e. NO otherTV has this problem. It(other TVs) is either the right code or not.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Insignia TVs are quirky. I have seen some posts looking for an IR code. At least yours is working.

IR is just a trigger. Kind of like a doorbell. All you can control is the duration of the press. You cannot control the speed of the response after it rings.

Each IR burst triggers a different response as programmed in the TV. So, I would expect the response to be the same for both the u-verse remote and the TV remote.

You could try holding the button a little longer. You could try two quick presses. To see if the TV reacts to those & maybe that is what the TV remote does.

It seems unlikey that there would be two IR signals for a single volume trigger. You could pursue that if you get a Logitech Harmony remote where they presennt a list of functions. See if there are two. Maybe ask Logitech or check their forum(http://forums.logitech.com/).

Why not ask Best buy?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@tom9489 wrote:

I have an Insignia (BestBuy house brand) TV.  When I use the U-verse remote to adjust the volume, it does so VERY SLOWLY.  If I use the TV's remote, the volume changes much more rapidly.

My son has two Insignia TVs and has Time-Warner cable.  He sees the same problem of slow volume adjustment with the Times-Warner remote.

Is this just a quirk of the Insignia TVs or is there a way to speed up the volume adjustment with the U-verse remote?

If it's an LCD (LED) TV check for these settings on your advanced settings on the menu: Dynamic Contrast, Auto or Ambient Brightness, Energy/Power Saver, Intelligent Sensor or Auto Iris.

If you have any of them or similar ones try turning them 'off' one by one until you find the culprit, then turn the non-offending ones back on to double check. All of these can cause Uverse remote problems w/an LCD (LED).

If it's a plasma, make sure the DVR/STB is in front and the face pointing the same direction as the TV, so it gets no IR from the front of the screen. Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mentor

• 

68 Messages

9 years ago

I got out my digital still camera and aimed the remotes toward it and depressed the volume up and down buttoms.  The Insignia remote pulsed the LED with about a 1 second period.  The U-verse remote's LED stayed on as long as the buttom was depressed.  I realize that I can't ascertain if there is a very fast pulsing of the signal with this simplististic method, but it does show a difference between the two remotes.

I tried repeatedly pressing the volume up or down buttons on the U-verse remote with varying frequency.  I got a little improvement, but nothing like the Insignia remote.

I doubt if I could find anyone at BestBuy who would know the subtle differences between these remotes.

Mentor

• 

68 Messages

9 years ago

I must have read your mind.  I just got off of the Insignia forum you mentioned and pointed out that none of my other brands of TV (Sony, Philips and JVC) have this problem.  We'll see what they have to say.

Mentor

• 

68 Messages

9 years ago

I heard back from the Insignia Forum today.  They offered a number of possible codes to try.  The fifth code worked!  I had used the automatic code setup on the remote and had stopped trying different codes after I reached the first code which made the TV turn on and off.  I found that five of the codes made the TV turn on and off, but only one made the volume adjust work correctly.

Problem solved.  Thanks

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for posting your follow-up. Glad to hear you got it working.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.