kdmfc17's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, April 27th, 2015 11:26 AM

Sony HT-260 soundbar

Sony HT 260/UVerse remonte question.
I got the Aux function to turn on/off the soundbar (code was 4029), however when use the Uverse to control volume, my Samsung TV says im using external speakers??
HELP

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Remember, we are talking control of sound volume, not determining the source of sound. Sound will come from TV if the  speakers are on & soundbar when the soundbar is on. Which device outputs sound is selected by which is on.

Option 1 is control soundbar only.(when soundbar off, you control nothing)

Option 2 is the volume control follows the mode button. It controls the STB when in ATT mode (normal watching, but maybe not a valuable control without option 3),

Push TV button to control TV (varies TV sound only when speakers on, If speakers off, see TV message). Push ATT button to resume watching U-verse.

Push AUX button to control sound bar (when soundbar off, you control nothing). Push ATT button to resume watching U-verse.

Option 2 means you have to press the mode button to select the device you want to control. When volume is set, press ATT button to return to normal watching(att functions available).

Option 3 is a specific use of option 2. The advantage is you do not need to change mode to control the TV or the soundbar, while watching U-verse. You have moved the control point up(or is it back)  to a common point so that it controls output heard from both(or is it either)  downstream device(s).

The complaint for option 3 is  -  it may not be as good a choice if you have another source such as a DVD player. If you need to control sound originating from a DVD player, you need option 1 or 2.

But,option 3 is still option 2 - just press AUX or TV while watching the DVD & reset the level to whatever is best for option 3 when returning to U-verse using the ATT button. One extra level setting step, when returning to U-verse watching allows the efficiency of not needing to change modes while watching u-verse.

Your choice - the old pay(push) me now or pay(press) me later.

It is not option 3 that is junk. All these options are choices of how you want to operate using the limitations of the u-verse remote S10 (which is a junk "universal" remote).

There are differences with the S20. Only call the differences  improvements if there is one you like. The S20 is more focused on U-verse watching & disclaiming universal support while recognizing a sound bar is a valid device for watching & listening to U-verse.

For full flexibility, you need a Logitech Harmony. Any setup that has a soundbar deserves a Logitech Harmony to control it.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

When the TV is programmed, the default is - to have the remote ALWAYS control the TV volume. That is what you are seeing. Since the TV  speakers are off, the TV is alerting you that it is receiving volume IR & cannot do anything with it.

You have three choices -

1) att/ok-955-aux-enter will set the soundbar as ALWAYS the sound source.

2) Leave out the aux & the volume control will follow the mode button.

3) After programming #2

In att mode, set the STB volume to 15 as it appears on the TV screen.

Set the TV volume to a comfortable level

Set the sound bar volume to a comfortable level

While watching in att you will vary the STB sound level & hear the result on whichever speakers are on - The TV or the soundbar

How about the power list? to turn on the sound bar with the TV & STB -

att/ok-977-att-tv-aux-enter

Always include the wholle list that you want to turn on/off.

For a new twist on how this works get a new S20 remote -

http://www.att.com/media/att/2014/support/pdf/S-20_U-verse_remote_user_guide.pdf

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I'm a little confused, which optioon allows the Uverse remote to control the volume using the soundbar.
It seems like option 3 will use both the TV and soundbar volume which sounds like junk

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks. I went with option 1 and so far so good. Let me ask you this: equipment is Samsung TV, soundbar, and UVerse box onlly: Do you HDMI from Uverse to soundar then HDMI from soundbar to TV? I can use the ARC system going from soundbar to tv. Do i use any of the optical in/out puts?
Thanks

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I forgot to ask what STB stands for?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

STB is Set top Box (aka receiver) the tuner box.

You say you use option one - That does simplify things quite a bit.

There are two basic options for wiring -

1) Connect all content sources to the TV. Select the input from the TV. Connect audio in parallel.

2) Connect all content sources to the Home Theater box. Connect the HT to the TV with one HDMI. Select the input from the Home Theater box

Option 2 requires a comprehensive (aka expensive) Home Theater. A simple sound bar that cannot select video requires option 1.

For actual connections, the options are too numerous to list. A list could be started & people keep adding to it. The simple answer is you have to see what is availble on your equipment & try it. If you do not want to "try" actual wiring, as first step you can sketch it out & verify each connection is valid by reading the equipment documentation seeing how you would select it.

A common connection is to connect the TV HDMI or Component (when TV cannot decode surround) and connect the sound bar optical from the STB. Note, some TVs can use HDMI for video & analog (RCA red/white) for audio,

The new method of feeding the audio back over an HDMI from the TV to the sound producer is a good thing. Getting sound from TV assures covering all content sources. Except, some TVs think it is only needed when the source is broadcast. Be careful of that.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.