Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Aug 13, 2014
2:06:42 PM
Remote control for Genie pauses and queues up commands

I have the following:

• Gene HR34/700 - running soft are 0x8d4
  • Direct TV Universal Remote (I do not know the model number - I have the same one for an HR24/500 DVR - it is also on this web page: http://www.directv.com/technology/remotes This remote is InfraRed
  • A HR24/500
  • Whole home DVR (I have Internet apps and can see both DVRs recorded programs from either DVR)

What is happening:

With regards to the Genie - I have noticed a problem where the remote will issue commands to the Genie but then Genie fails to react.  Often times, it appears that the commands are received by the Genie because they seem to queue up and execute all at once.

For example, I can issue a Fast Forward command then the play command.  The play command does not execute.  I then can press any other button and nothing happens (such as the Menu button).  Then without pointing my remote at the DVR, the Play command eventually executes followed by the Menu command.  The delay can be several seconds.  And the issue is not always present - most of the time it works as expected.  The example given is just a sample, it can and has occurred with any number of key sequences - Multiple skip forward presses - channel changes using the number keys, etc.

Any idea what might be going on or how to fix it?

I have the following:

• Gene HR34/700 - running soft are 0x8d4
  • Direct TV Universal Remote (I do not know the model number - I have the same one for an HR24/500 DVR - it is also on this web page: http://www.directv.com/technology/remotes This remote is InfraRed
  • A HR24/500
  • Whole home DVR (I have Internet apps and can see both DVRs recorded programs from either DVR)

What is happening:

With regards to the Genie - I have noticed a problem where the remote will issue commands to the Genie but then Genie fails to react.  Often times, it appears that the commands are received by the Genie because they seem to queue up and execute all at once.

For example, I can issue a Fast Forward command then the play command.  The play command does not execute.  I then can press any other button and nothing happens (such as the Menu button).  Then without pointing my remote at the DVR, the Play command eventually executes followed by the Menu command.  The delay can be several seconds.  And the issue is not always present - most of the time it works as expected.  The example given is just a sample, it can and has occurred with any number of key sequences - Multiple skip forward presses - channel changes using the number keys, etc.

Any idea what might be going on or how to fix it?

Remote control for Genie pauses and queues up commands

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2014 2:42:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Others have noted this issue with the current HR34 release.  Seems to be a software bug.   I trust you've tried resetting the Genie using the red button behind the front panel access card door?

Others have noted this issue with the current HR34 release.  Seems to be a software bug.   I trust you've tried resetting the Genie using the red button behind the front panel access card door?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Remote control for Genie pauses and queues up commands

2 of 8 (36 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2014 7:32:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

Seeing the same thing with HR34 for the last couple of weeks. Reset doesn't clear the problem. Bug in the last software update seems the likely cause.

Seeing the same thing with HR34 for the last couple of weeks. Reset doesn't clear the problem. Bug in the last software update seems the likely cause.

3 of 8 (36 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2014 7:37:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

I had the exact same problem.  I did the manual reset, tried to unplug it - everything I could think of.  Nothing worked.  I searched on the DTV site and found a solution.

Log into your DTV account - Under the Quick Links there is "My Equipment" and Activate Receiver, click that.

Near the top pf that page you will see a link to "Refresh your Service"  Click that.

You will then be presented a list of your boxes, (Genie and mini genie clients).  If you re-authorize the Genie itself that is what corrected the delay and pausing issues from the remotes for me.  I had the same remote delays etc.. problem on the mini genies too.

Be warned, it will take about 24 hrs for the guide to catch up and put the TV series you record back into the To Do list but it does come back.  Try and do this on a day before you record a small number of shows or no shows.  You can manually add them into the To Do list but if you have a lot of them it is a pain.

It worked great for me.  I was a little leery of the term 're-authorize' but it didn't effect my service at all - it just made my Genie start working like it did when I first got it.

Good luck!

mkztg

I had the exact same problem.  I did the manual reset, tried to unplug it - everything I could think of.  Nothing worked.  I searched on the DTV site and found a solution.

Log into your DTV account - Under the Quick Links there is "My Equipment" and Activate Receiver, click that.

Near the top pf that page you will see a link to "Refresh your Service"  Click that.

You will then be presented a list of your boxes, (Genie and mini genie clients).  If you re-authorize the Genie itself that is what corrected the delay and pausing issues from the remotes for me.  I had the same remote delays etc.. problem on the mini genies too.

Be warned, it will take about 24 hrs for the guide to catch up and put the TV series you record back into the To Do list but it does come back.  Try and do this on a day before you record a small number of shows or no shows.  You can manually add them into the To Do list but if you have a lot of them it is a pain.

It worked great for me.  I was a little leery of the term 're-authorize' but it didn't effect my service at all - it just made my Genie start working like it did when I first got it.

Good luck!

mkztg

4 of 8 (36 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2014 8:16:34 AM
(0)
Employee

I can tell you this was just pure coincidence as reathorizing the receiver all is does it tells the access card what programming you are allow to watch

I can tell you this was just pure coincidence as reathorizing the receiver all is does it tells the access card what programming you are allow to watch

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 8 (36 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2014 8:41:22 AM
(0)
Tutor

It very well could be a coincidence. As soon as I did that it started working again. It won't hurt anything to try.... Or don't. I was just sharing what I did and the results.

It very well could be a coincidence. As soon as I did that it started working again. It won't hurt anything to try.... Or don't. I was just sharing what I did and the results.

6 of 8 (36 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2014 1:38:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

I see the same pauses.  Very annoying. Smiley Sad  I tried the reauthorize, and I still see them.  But it was worth a shot!

I see the same pauses.  Very annoying. Smiley Sad  I tried the reauthorize, and I still see them.  But it was worth a shot!

7 of 8 (36 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2014 8:14:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

I was having the same problem with the Genie HR-34. I reset my receiver 4 consecutive times and it seems to have corrected the problem. This takes about 30 minutes but was well worth it. Don't know if it is a permanent fix but so far so good!!

I was having the same problem with the Genie HR-34. I reset my receiver 4 consecutive times and it seems to have corrected the problem. This takes about 30 minutes but was well worth it. Don't know if it is a permanent fix but so far so good!!

8 of 8 (36 Views)