Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Oct 23, 2013
12:45:57 PM
RC-71 remote will not program

I have a RC71 remote. It will not allow me to program it. I go to settings program remote and when I click on program remote it gives me an option to choose from RF/IR and it will not change from RF. I need help getting this fixed. I also have a dvr that I am trying to get programmed to work with the remote. It will not work either. I'm not sure if it is connected to the tv and dvr correctly. When my remote was working and I pushed input it recognized the dvr but when I tried to run the dvr I would get a no signal message.

Can anyone help me or do I need a technician to come out here

I have a RC71 remote. It will not allow me to program it. I go to settings program remote and when I click on program remote it gives me an option to choose from RF/IR and it will not change from RF. I need help getting this fixed. I also have a dvr that I am trying to get programmed to work with the remote. It will not work either. I'm not sure if it is connected to the tv and dvr correctly. When my remote was working and I pushed input it recognized the dvr but when I tried to run the dvr I would get a no signal message.

Can anyone help me or do I need a technician to come out here

RC-71 remote will not program

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 1:13:26 PM
(0)
Employee

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: RC-71 remote will not program

2 of 16 (114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 1:22:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

It is a HR44-500

It is a HR44-500

3 of 16 (114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 1:28:35 PM
(0)
Mentor

If you have an hr44 then you can not program it to IR you need to use RF and the process is the following

• Enabled RF (if not already enabled): 
    1. On the remote, press MENU. 
    2. Select "Settings & Help." 
    3. Select "Settings." 
    4. Select "Remote Control." 
    5. Select "IR/RF Setup." 
    6. Select "RF." 
    7. Select "Continue." 
    8. Press and hold the MUTE and SELECT until the remote's green LED blinks continuously. 
    9. Enter 961 using the number keys, then press Channel Up followed by ENTER. 
    10. When pairing is unsuccessful, the remote blinks for up to 30 seconds followed by one long blink in red.

If you have an hr44 then you can not program it to IR you need to use RF and the process is the following

• Enabled RF (if not already enabled): 
    1. On the remote, press MENU. 
    2. Select "Settings & Help." 
    3. Select "Settings." 
    4. Select "Remote Control." 
    5. Select "IR/RF Setup." 
    6. Select "RF." 
    7. Select "Continue." 
    8. Press and hold the MUTE and SELECT until the remote's green LED blinks continuously. 
    9. Enter 961 using the number keys, then press Channel Up followed by ENTER. 
    10. When pairing is unsuccessful, the remote blinks for up to 30 seconds followed by one long blink in red.

4 of 16 (114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 1:45:04 PM
(0)
Employee

Actually while watching live TV on your HR44, press and hold MUTE and ENTER.  this will pair your RC71 and HR44 in RF mode. then proceed to program your TV.

Actually while watching live TV on your HR44, press and hold MUTE and ENTER.  this will pair your RC71 and HR44 in RF mode. then proceed to program your TV.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 16 (114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 1:48:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

This is exactly what I did. It is set for RF, but it still won't allow me to program the remote. When I go to settings then remote and I click on program remote...it goes right back to have me select RF/IR. I know that the first time I programmed the remote it took me to a page to select my TV Type. It won't even go there now.

This is exactly what I did. It is set for RF, but it still won't allow me to program the remote. When I go to settings then remote and I click on program remote...it goes right back to have me select RF/IR. I know that the first time I programmed the remote it took me to a page to select my TV Type. It won't even go there now.

6 of 16 (114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 1:50:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm sorry I may be confusing you. The HR44-500 is my main receiver. The remote I am trying to program is on my other TV that is connected to the client genie...I think that is what you call it anyway. It is the small genie

I'm sorry I may be confusing you. The HR44-500 is my main receiver. The remote I am trying to program is on my other TV that is connected to the client genie...I think that is what you call it anyway. It is the small genie

7 of 16 (114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 1:57:50 PM
(0)
Employee

Then what is the model number of the client.

Then what is the model number of the client.

8 of 16 (114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 2:08:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

C41-700

C41-700

9 of 16 (114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 2:15:23 PM
(0)
Employee

while watching live TV on your C41, press and hold MUTE and ENTER.  this will pair your RC71 and C41 in RF mode. then proceed to program your TV.

while watching live TV on your C41, press and hold MUTE and ENTER.  this will pair your RC71 and C41 in RF mode. then proceed to program your TV.

10 of 16 (114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 2:21:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

Not working still brings me right back to the page where it makes you choose between RF IR.

Not working still brings me right back to the page where it makes you choose between RF IR.

11 of 16 (114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 2:27:19 PM
(0)
Employee

can you press CONTINUE?

can you press CONTINUE?

12 of 16 (114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 2:37:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

yes I can push continue. It brings me to the page where you hold mute and select, type in 691 and push up on the channel then done. After I do that it still does not let me go back and program the remote.

yes I can push continue. It brings me to the page where you hold mute and select, type in 691 and push up on the channel then done. After I do that it still does not let me go back and program the remote.

13 of 16 (114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 2:54:01 PM
(0)
Employee

you should be typing 961 NOT 691

you should be typing 961 NOT 691

14 of 16 (114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 2:57:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

Typo that is what I meant I typed 961 in the remote

Typo that is what I meant I typed 961 in the remote

15 of 16 (114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 5:46:26 PM
(0)
Mentor

When you press Mute + Select try hitting the Mute button just slightly ahead of the select button. It can be kinda touchy.

When you press Mute + Select try hitting the Mute button just slightly ahead of the select button. It can be kinda touchy.

16 of 16 (114 Views)