ronseg1's profile

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

Thursday, August 4th, 2011 6:34 PM

One RF remote, several TV's

I am thinking of getting U-verse. I have direct TV now and use one RF remote for 4 tv's and 4 receivers. Will one U-verse RF remote work 4 different TV's or do I need a different RF remote for each TV and/or receiver? My receivers are not near the TV's, but all are located in a separate room. If I am watching a TV in one room and someone else wants to watch a different TV in a different room, will the same remote change my channel to the other room's request?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

One u-verse remote is for one u-verse STB/TV. If you allow the STBs to be placed adjacent to each TV you do not need to purchase anything extra. The Remotes come with the STBs.

You have to be in a room to watch the TV & IR control the TV. Why not have the STB there too. When the STBs are centrally located they still need to be wired to the TV.

Most remotes are easily reprogrammed. The Pronto is not?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Can you say more about 4 rcvrs/tvs and one RF remote. How do you select which TV to control & why would you need such a thing?

U-verse RF remotes work with a dongle that converts the RF to IR at the STB. The dongle and the remote are paired with a code. I believe there are 9999 codes, So, you can have many pairs of remote/rcvrs that do not interfere with each other.

I suppose if it suites your needs you could change the code at the remote to match different TVs when you want to control that TV.

Also, you buy the remote/dongle as a pair. So, you would have four complete sets.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for your reply. Since I don't have the service or the remotes yet, I'm not completely clear about everything. I have 4 TV's in different rooms throughout the house. At this time I have all the direct tv receivers and dvr's in one room away from the TV's. I use a Pronto remote via rf that turns on the TV and controls the receiver. The Pronto has separate code for each TV and receiver. Am I understanding you correctly that I would need 4 separate remotes to obtain 4 "dongles?" What exactly is a "dongle?" What do you mean by STB? Thanks again for your time.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

The pronto remote puts a whole new spin on it. I see that it is made by phillips. Check with their support to verify that it supports u-verse equipment (e.g Motorola vip1216 & 1225).
If it does then the change to u-verse would be transparent - keep using the pronto.

STB is Set Top Box. The dongle plugs into a USB port on the STB (only for power) It contains an RF receiver & outputs IR to control the STB. The same function happening at your central location with the Pronto. The only difference is it is designed to handle only one STB. The Pronto is designed to handle way more.

Lets say you have the pronto set up to control 4 STBs. When you set the remote to #1 you generate IR (at the central location) to control STB 1. Same for #2,3,4. The only thing is - SInce the same IR will work all four STBs they must be isolated from each other. IR blaster #1 cannot be seen by STB 2,3,4. & same for all the STB/IR blaster pairs.

Hope the Pronto supports u-verse - have not seen any posts on here about it.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks, you have been very helpful. My only question now is will one u-verse rf remote work four stb's. Each direct tv receiver has an individual ir output that is controlled by the Pronto. It would be easier, I think, to use the u-verse remote than reprogram the Pronto for each receiver (and cheaper). If I need four different u-verse rf remotes, then it would probably be easier to reprogram the Pronto. Thanks again!

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

13 years ago

FYI, the RF remote does not come with the system.  It is a $60 upgraded remote.  If I were you, I wouldn't switch to Uverse, stick to Direct TV.  I have had Uverse for one month and the remotes are horrible and the upgraded RF remote still doesn't work and I'm only 15 feet from the reciever.  I wish I would have stayed with Dish.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

They put the RF Point-Anywhere on sale occasionally; I got mine for $29.

If any of the regular UVerse remotes stop working, they will replace them for free; just call in.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the info. My darling wife does not want the receiver near the TV for esthetics! All the TV's have been wired to the central control area. The Pronto can be reprogramed, I was just looking for an easier solution. From what I have read, the rf remote is not the answer.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

13 years ago

spd2denum: I sent you a private message, but I don't know how to get into my inbox, so your answer may not reach me.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

look in the upper right hand corner to the right of your name is an envelope - click on that for messages. If you have a new message it will say that to the left of the envelope.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.