Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Apr 1, 2014
4:39:22 PM
No picture with Genie unless TV turned on first

Genie HR44 - 500 Receiver. Genie RC71 remote. Sony Bravia KDL-46EX600 TV connected to Genie with an HDMI cable. If I use the Genie remote to turn on both the Genie and the TV, there is no picture. Changing the TV input from the Genie to another input and back does not give a picture. Unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in does give the picture. If the TV is already on when the Genie is turned on, then the picture appears immediately. Turning the Genie on first, then turning the TV on gives no picture.

Any solution other than not using the Genie remote to control the TV and turning the TV on first?

Genie HR44 - 500 Receiver. Genie RC71 remote. Sony Bravia KDL-46EX600 TV connected to Genie with an HDMI cable. If I use the Genie remote to turn on both the Genie and the TV, there is no picture. Changing the TV input from the Genie to another input and back does not give a picture. Unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in does give the picture. If the TV is already on when the Genie is turned on, then the picture appears immediately. Turning the Genie on first, then turning the TV on gives no picture.

Any solution other than not using the Genie remote to control the TV and turning the TV on first?

No picture with Genie unless TV turned on first

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 4:44:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Sounds like an "HDMI Handshake" issue.  Easiest solution might be to simply leave the Genie HR44 "on" all of the time.   It's never really "off" anyway.  Standby just disables the video outputs, and that forces a re-handshake via HDMI when the TV is powered on. 

Sounds like an "HDMI Handshake" issue.  Easiest solution might be to simply leave the Genie HR44 "on" all of the time.   It's never really "off" anyway.  Standby just disables the video outputs, and that forces a re-handshake via HDMI when the TV is powered on. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: No picture with Genie unless TV turned on first

2 of 9 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 5:17:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

If the Genie is on, there is no picture. The TV has to be turned on first.

If the Genie is on, there is no picture. The TV has to be turned on first.

3 of 9 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 5:29:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Then the TV is losing its HDMI handshake when it's powered on/off.   It might be defective.  Have you tried a different HDMI cable?   Using Component Video (red, blue, green RCA cables) might be one solution.  

Another thing to try .... when there's no video, what happens if you press the remote's FORMAT or front panel RESolution buttons to cycle the video resolutions (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i)?  Do any of those yield video?

Then the TV is losing its HDMI handshake when it's powered on/off.   It might be defective.  Have you tried a different HDMI cable?   Using Component Video (red, blue, green RCA cables) might be one solution.  

Another thing to try .... when there's no video, what happens if you press the remote's FORMAT or front panel RESolution buttons to cycle the video resolutions (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i)?  Do any of those yield video?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 6:36:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

Since the TV is turned on second, I don't understand how it could be losing the handshake. It would appear that it never acquires it. I got the Genie on Saturday; my HR24 had no problem turning on the TV. The Genie remote does not have a Format button; you have to use the Info menu. I have not tried a new cable. Changing the resolution with the front panel does make the picture appear.

Since the TV is turned on second, I don't understand how it could be losing the handshake. It would appear that it never acquires it. I got the Genie on Saturday; my HR24 had no problem turning on the TV. The Genie remote does not have a Format button; you have to use the Info menu. I have not tried a new cable. Changing the resolution with the front panel does make the picture appear.

5 of 9 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 11:00:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The TV has to initiate and properly negotiate the HDMI handshake.   And, as you've discovered, not all HDMI devices "play nicely" together this way.  Try a new HDMI cable.  If that doesn't help, try the Component Video cable instead of HDMI.   You might also try setting the Genie to a fixed video output resolution (720p or 1080i) to see if that helps. 

The TV has to initiate and properly negotiate the HDMI handshake.   And, as you've discovered, not all HDMI devices "play nicely" together this way.  Try a new HDMI cable.  If that doesn't help, try the Component Video cable instead of HDMI.   You might also try setting the Genie to a fixed video output resolution (720p or 1080i) to see if that helps. 

6 of 9 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 3:17:52 AM
(0)
Expert

Litzdog's last suggestion is likely the key to solving this.  If you set the resolution output on the Genie to 1080i only I'd guess that your problem will disappear.  

Litzdog's last suggestion is likely the key to solving this.  If you set the resolution output on the Genie to 1080i only I'd guess that your problem will disappear.  

7 of 9 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 4:31:41 PM
(0)
Tutor

Both 1080i and 1080p were checked. Unchecking 1080i worked. Leaving them both checked and using a different cable also worked.

Thanks.

Both 1080i and 1080p were checked. Unchecking 1080i worked. Leaving them both checked and using a different cable also worked.

Thanks.

8 of 9 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 8:45:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Good to hear.  Enjoy!

Good to hear.  Enjoy!

9 of 9 (11 Views)