Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Apr 26, 2014
3:08:44 PM
How to open rc71 remote to clean buttons?

I need to open the cover & get to the buttons to clean orange juice that was spilled on buttons & now they stick.  I am able to get battery cover & the screw out.  I have opened the laser or rf or whatever area in the front off.   But I cannot figure out how to separate the other 3 sections of plastic.   Any ideas??? 

I need to open the cover & get to the buttons to clean orange juice that was spilled on buttons & now they stick.  I am able to get battery cover & the screw out.  I have opened the laser or rf or whatever area in the front off.   But I cannot figure out how to separate the other 3 sections of plastic.   Any ideas??? 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 26, 2014 4:46:25 PM
(0)
Guru

You are going to need a very tiny flat head screw driver you have to insert

In between plastic joining on the remote holding it together

The top assembly has to come off first there are plastic locks holding it together on the side of the prev and mute buttons where the plastic joins

Once you get those locks press in the

Remote will come apart

Accepted Solution

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 3:31:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Best just to get a new off eBay

Best just to get a new off eBay

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How to open rc71 remote to clean buttons?

2 of 10 (1,977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 4:15:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

yes, why didn't I think of that. The remote is about 2 months old, lets just dispose of it, add it to the landfill, and buy another one, because that's the way things are done now. Heaven forbid anyone should want to CLEAN something. Easier still I can just order one here at DirecTV. Or they can make it so I can open it and clean it without needing a degree in plastic engineering.

Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2014 3:31 PM

To: lynchbout

Subject: Re: - How to open rc71 remote to clean buttons?

DIRECTV Technical Forums

reply from peds48 in DIRECTV Remote Controls - View the full discussion

yes, why didn't I think of that. The remote is about 2 months old, lets just dispose of it, add it to the landfill, and buy another one, because that's the way things are done now. Heaven forbid anyone should want to CLEAN something. Easier still I can just order one here at DirecTV. Or they can make it so I can open it and clean it without needing a degree in plastic engineering.

Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2014 3:31 PM

DIRECTV Technical Forums

reply from peds48 in DIRECTV Remote Controls - View the full discussion

3 of 10 (1,977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 4:27:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I haven't seen any posts from anyone that has successfully pried open an RC71 without damaging it.  If you figure out how, let us know.

I haven't seen any posts from anyone that has successfully pried open an RC71 without damaging it.  If you figure out how, let us know.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 10 (1,977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 26, 2014 4:46:25 PM
(0)
Guru

The top assembly has to come off first there are plastic locks holding it together on the side of the prev and mute buttons where the plastic joins

Remote will come apart

Remote will come apart

5 of 10 (1,977 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 4:47:48 PM
(0)
Guru

I would post pic if I knew how I can email

I would post pic if I knew how I can email

6 of 10 (1,977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 5:05:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you Just needed to know the pressure points .. I was afraid of breaking it without knowing where the tabs were ... There are also 2 tiny white tabs by List & by Guide & 2 black tabs (from top piece) below rewind & forward .. That’s what I needed & its looks cleanable You’re the greatest dtvuser2013 .. will let ya know if the the cleaning job fixes it, but it looks like the keys will be easy to wash. yay.

Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:48 PM

DIRECTV Technical Forums

reply from dtvuser2013 in DIRECTV Remote Controls - View the full discussion

Thank you Just needed to know the pressure points .. I was afraid of breaking it without knowing where the tabs were ... There are also 2 tiny white tabs by List & by Guide & 2 black tabs (from top piece) below rewind & forward .. That’s what I needed & its looks cleanable You’re the greatest dtvuser2013 .. will let ya know if the the cleaning job fixes it, but it looks like the keys will be easy to wash. yay.

Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:48 PM

DIRECTV Technical Forums

reply from dtvuser2013 in DIRECTV Remote Controls - View the full discussion

7 of 10 (1,977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 5:52:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you dtvuser2013,

Cleaned & reassembled, working great. The select 4 way bar & the Volume & Channel buttons were what collected the sticky orange juice. I soaked in soapy warm water, the other buttons seemed fine, but I went ahead & cleaned with warm soapy water & cotton swab, where it look like a little tiny residue on the rubber keys. Took a little upside down finesse to get the keys lined up & faceplate in position. Doable

Thank you dtvuser2013,

Cleaned & reassembled, working great. The select 4 way bar & the Volume & Channel buttons were what collected the sticky orange juice. I soaked in soapy warm water, the other buttons seemed fine, but I went ahead & cleaned with warm soapy water & cotton swab, where it look like a little tiny residue on the rubber keys. Took a little upside down finesse to get the keys lined up & faceplate in position. Doable

8 of 10 (1,977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 5:55:31 PM
(0)
Guru

I have custom made keypads that I have made my own back lit type rc71

My first attempt was with a hammer

Lol

I have custom made keypads that I have made my own back lit type rc71

My first attempt was with a hammer

Lol

9 of 10 (1,977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 7:13:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

Understand the hammer .. lol backlit wow .. that sounds very cool

Understand the hammer .. lol backlit wow .. that sounds very cool

10 of 10 (1,977 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments