Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Jan 3, 2014
3:59:01 PM
View profile
Have to press remote buttons hard for it to work

Hello,

I've been finding that I have to press the buttons down hard for the receiver to respond.  I just put in fresh batteries and I also reset the receiver.  Do I need a new remote or is there something else I'm missing?

Thank you

Hello,

I've been finding that I have to press the buttons down hard for the receiver to respond.  I just put in fresh batteries and I also reset the receiver.  Do I need a new remote or is there something else I'm missing?

Thank you

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 3, 2014 4:02:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Sounds like a defective remote. What model is it?  You can order a replacement from DirecTV.  Give them a call.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Have to press remote buttons hard for it to work

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 3, 2014 4:02:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Sounds like a defective remote. What model is it?  You can order a replacement from DirecTV.  Give them a call.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Have to press remote buttons hard for it to work

2 of 14 (154 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 8:11:52 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have found that some functions take longer for the DirecTV Set-top Box to respond, i.e. there is a short delay from the time you press the button until the Box responds.

Even so, when you press a button/key on the Remote, you should see a steady bright green LED light at the top of the Remote, this indicates the button/key is functioning OK and the batteries are Good.

Try pressing several keys and look for the green LED to light when each key is pressed.

If you have to press the button/key 'hard' to see the green LED light, then the button is Bad.

I have found that some functions take longer for the DirecTV Set-top Box to respond, i.e. there is a short delay from the time you press the button until the Box responds.

Even so, when you press a button/key on the Remote, you should see a steady bright green LED light at the top of the Remote, this indicates the button/key is functioning OK and the batteries are Good.

Try pressing several keys and look for the green LED to light when each key is pressed.

If you have to press the button/key 'hard' to see the green LED light, then the button is Bad.

3 of 14 (154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 9:51:34 AM
(0)
Administrator

You should not have to press hard on the buttons, to get the remote to work.  If you are mashing the buttons, nothing is working when you try and send a command to the DVR or STB, the remote is defective.

You should not have to press hard on the buttons, to get the remote to work.  If you are mashing the buttons, nothing is working when you try and send a command to the DVR or STB, the remote is defective.

4 of 14 (154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 10:08:37 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you for all the responses!  :smileycool:

I'll call customer service right now.

Thank you for all the responses!  :smileycool:

I'll call customer service right now.

5 of 14 (154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 3:13:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

**Click the "Helpful Answer" star on the left to say 'Thanks'**

***Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Correct' if it solves your problem.

**Click the "Helpful Answer" star on the left to say 'Thanks'**

***Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Correct' if it solves your problem.

6 of 14 (154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 10:10:12 PM
(0)
Teacher

Best Buy sells remotes if you don't want to wait for shipping. They are generally (in my experience) the same price as Directv. Alternatively, i found an RC66RBX that I'll be ordering from Amazon for my dad. I didn't find any back-lit remotes offered by Directv.

Good luck,

Rob

Best Buy sells remotes if you don't want to wait for shipping. They are generally (in my experience) the same price as Directv. Alternatively, i found an RC66RBX that I'll be ordering from Amazon for my dad. I didn't find any back-lit remotes offered by Directv.

Good luck,

Rob

7 of 14 (154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 11:16:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Go to Best Buy and get the SAME MODEL remote that you currently have. Pay for it, bring it home and verify it works. A few days later, package up the old remote and bring it back to Best Buy and return it.

Really?  Some would consider that very dishonest.

Go to Best Buy and get the SAME MODEL remote that you currently have. Pay for it, bring it home and verify it works. A few days later, package up the old remote and bring it back to Best Buy and return it.

Really?  Some would consider that very dishonest.

8 of 14 (154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 11:30:58 PM
(0)
Teacher

Since you only quoted parts of my previous post, I did mention that the OP could check Amazon for a similar, or better, remote that could be (probably) cheaper than what Directv offers.

I just ordered an RC66RBX with overnight shipping for $26.89 from Amazon ($22.90 + $3.99 Shipping). Directv wants $25 for an RC65 RF (they don't give a model number) and $15 for a standard and apparently they ship it for free but they did not include any info on tax. I'm not sure how much Amazon's standard shipping is because I have a Prime account.

If Amazon has a better remote, that's cheaper, what is there to compare?

RC66RBX at Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/DirecTV-RC66RBX-RF-Universal-Remote/dp/B00D8XNU6C/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sm...

RC65 at Amazon - Amazon.com : DirecTV RC65 4-Device Universal IR Remote : Audio Video Remote Controls : Electronics

RC65RX at Amazon - Amazon.com: NEW DIRECTV REMOTE RC65RX HD/DVR HR24 HR34 H24 H25 RF/IR + 2AA BATTERIES: Electronics

$10.89 for RF and $7.50 for the standard remote.

At a minimum, you'll save $7.50 with Amazon, not including shipping or tax, which is only charged in a few states. I had it filtered to only show remotes that qualified for Prime. If you were to search again and look at all the remotes including remotes that don't qualify for Prime, you might find something cheaper. I generally always use Prime so I can get it in 2 days.

See if you will pay tax at Amazon - Amazon.com Help: About Sales Tax on Items Sold by Amazon.com

Good luck,

Rob

Since you only quoted parts of my previous post, I did mention that the OP could check Amazon for a similar, or better, remote that could be (probably) cheaper than what Directv offers.

I just ordered an RC66RBX with overnight shipping for $26.89 from Amazon ($22.90 + $3.99 Shipping). Directv wants $25 for an RC65 RF (they don't give a model number) and $15 for a standard and apparently they ship it for free but they did not include any info on tax. I'm not sure how much Amazon's standard shipping is because I have a Prime account.

If Amazon has a better remote, that's cheaper, what is there to compare?

RC66RBX at Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/DirecTV-RC66RBX-RF-Universal-Remote/dp/B00D8XNU6C/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A20FTTWRE6HRZE

RC65 at Amazon - Amazon.com : DirecTV RC65 4-Device Universal IR Remote : Audio Video Remote Controls : Electronics

RC65RX at Amazon - Amazon.com: NEW DIRECTV REMOTE RC65RX HD/DVR HR24 HR34 H24 H25 RF/IR + 2AA BATTERIES: Electronics

$10.89 for RF and $7.50 for the standard remote.

At a minimum, you'll save $7.50 with Amazon, not including shipping or tax, which is only charged in a few states. I had it filtered to only show remotes that qualified for Prime. If you were to search again and look at all the remotes including remotes that don't qualify for Prime, you might find something cheaper. I generally always use Prime so I can get it in 2 days.

See if you will pay tax at Amazon - Amazon.com Help: About Sales Tax on Items Sold by Amazon.com

Good luck,

Rob

Re: Re: Have to press remote buttons hard for it to work

9 of 14 (154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 6:24:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Dishonest?  that is straight up theft!

Dishonest?  that is straight up theft!

10 of 14 (154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 9:25:39 AM
(0)
Contributor

Well, this thread certainly went off topic.  :smileylaugh:

I found an extra remote, reprogrammed it, and all is good now.  Thanks for the helpful answers.

Well, this thread certainly went off topic.  :smileylaugh:

I found an extra remote, reprogrammed it, and all is good now.  Thanks for the helpful answers.

11 of 14 (154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 9:49:47 AM
(0)
Expert

Sorry Rob, but I felt compelled to report your posts as abusive and hopefully the Administrator will delete them.  Of course, if you want to be a stand up guy, you can delete them both yourself.

Sorry Rob, but I felt compelled to report your posts as abusive and hopefully the Administrator will delete them.  Of course, if you want to be a stand up guy, you can delete them both yourself.

12 of 14 (154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2014 4:33:23 PM
(0)
Administrator

I was going to say, that there has to be someone out there with a collection of extra remotes.  I swear that my in-laws have at least four remotes upstairs, and four downstairs, but you only see two laying out.  They each have a remote on their respective end tables where they sit, and two downstairs on the same side table, next to the Lazy Boy down there.

I took our extra from the C31, and threw it into our Armour in the bedroom, due to I am using the RC71 in there.  In the Living Room all we use is a Logitech Harmony 650.

Now of course if you have a tablet or smartphone, last resort is the apps like DirecTV's, BuddyTV, or the Waltzremote.com website.  You would have to hunt down the tv remote or soundbar remote, for changing the volume, but it would get you through until you get a replacement.

I was going to say, that there has to be someone out there with a collection of extra remotes.  I swear that my in-laws have at least four remotes upstairs, and four downstairs, but you only see two laying out.  They each have a remote on their respective end tables where they sit, and two downstairs on the same side table, next to the Lazy Boy down there.

I took our extra from the C31, and threw it into our Armour in the bedroom, due to I am using the RC71 in there.  In the Living Room all we use is a Logitech Harmony 650.

Now of course if you have a tablet or smartphone, last resort is the apps like DirecTV's, BuddyTV, or the Waltzremote.com website.  You would have to hunt down the tv remote or soundbar remote, for changing the volume, but it would get you through until you get a replacement.

13 of 14 (154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2014 11:11:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

It's too bad you feel that way. However, I did offer another (cheaper) solution than what was already suggested, which wasn't quoted by litzdog911.

By the way, the 'stand up guy' comment was a nice touch!

It's too bad you feel that way. However, I did offer another (cheaper) solution than what was already suggested, which wasn't quoted by litzdog911.

By the way, the 'stand up guy' comment was a nice touch!

14 of 14 (154 Views)