Paul guy's profile

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, May 14th, 2013 6:19 PM

Delayed response using my remote

Ever since the upgrade in on-screen format recently, there is an additional delay when I use my remote.  Is this because the current cable box is outdated and was not designed to handle the amount of data due to the upgrade in the on-screen format?  Or were we given outdated boxes to begin with? Has anyone else experienced delayed responses when commands have been pressed on the remote?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

Instead of doing a reboot when you get the DVR mute, try this:

To control the speaker volume of the motorola box itself:
1) Press and hold the AT&T button on the remote
2) Press the "OK" button and release it and the AT&T key at the same time.  All the universal lights will flash twice.
3) Type 955.  The AT&T key will flash twice
4) Press "Enter"

Now you can turn your motorola box all the way up. Once you get it set how you want, we need to set the remote back to control the TV volume instead of the motorola box.  To do that:
1) Press and hold the AT&T button on the remote
2) Press the "OK" button and release it and the AT&T key at the same time.  All the universal lights will flash twice.
3) Type 955.  The AT&T key will flash twice
4) Press "TV".  The TV light will flash twice

All of this is assuming that the TV button on your remote is already programmed to control your TV.  
If it is not, you will need to find the code for your TV and program the TV button first. 

A reboot of the DVR weekly will keep it operating at it's fastest, they all slow down when memory load gets too high, rebooting resets it. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thank your sir.  That seems like it would be quicker than a reboot. Unfortunately, it addresses one of our symptoms and not the main issue which is lack of or miscommunication between the remote and receiver. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Trey-n-Heather - Go to your local Home Depot electrical dept and get a roll of this tape & place a couple of inches of it on the front of the STB to the right of the middle lights & it should end your problem - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-30002664/202741845#specifications

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks aviewer. Excuse my ignorance but how does a piece of electrical tape solve what the above posts identify as a memory issue. Also, I tried it with some electrical tape I have here and only succeeded in blocking ALL communication. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks aviewer. 

The issues you describe are almost exactly what we are experiencing.  I will pick up the correct tape tomorrow.  I meant no disrespect but didn't know there was a difference between electricians tape.  Also it was confusing as the system worked fine and was very responsive for the first two years. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Trey-n-Heather - You were right to question my first response. It was cryptic. I hope the tape works as well for you as it does for me. There are no guarantees in this area. Please let me know one way or the other.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Aviewer,

After you mentioned noticing it with duct tape, curiosity overwhelmed me and began searching my tape supplies. I took a small piece of painters tape, doubled it up and covered the sensor. Guess what? You have my apologies again. Thank you very much. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Trey-n-Heather - Glad you found the right amount of IR transparency & thanks for posting so it can be added to the knowledge base.

As we have both experienced, it can, somehow, change. Sometimes in one direction & sometimes in the other. So, if you have trouble with the tape in place. The first thing to try is - remove the tape.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Really? This is the answer? We have to buy tape and antenea for our remotes to work properly? I just had my u-verse installed yesterday by a very nice tech, but I am having strong second thoughts about going with at&t. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@slland wrote:

Really? This is the answer? We have to buy tape and antenea for our remotes to work properly? I just had my u-verse installed yesterday by a very nice tech, but I am having strong second thoughts about going with at&t. 

Perhaps.  That is one solution.  There are others, depending on what is causing the issue for you.  If it's your TV causing IR interference, then one solution is to adjust your TV's settings.  It could be a CFL bulb that could be changed.  Maybe the set top needs to be pushed a little further back in the cabinet, or turned.

And keep in mind that these are not AT&T official solutions.  I don't know that AT&T has ever admitted that there can be an issue with IR interference with their set tops.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.