For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Worm48's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, March 10th, 2016 1:11 AM

DVR remote will not work

My remote for the dvr does not work most of the time. Trying to enter a channel takes a work of God. I have to hold each button down long enough to get a response and most of the time it enters each number twice or not at all... This is my third remote sent to me and second dvr sent to me.. Any ideas on what is the problem.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

8 years ago

Don't really have a solution BUT.....I do have a question.  Is your DVR located out in the open or is it, perhaps, on a shelf behind a glass door to a cabinet?  There was a time....several years ago....when we had a bit of a problem with similar symptoms to yours and the problem went away when I removed the glass cabinet door.  I always kind of guessed that some impurities in the glass caused it to partially filter the IR signal from the remote.  Guess I was right.   We now have a new furniture cabinet with front doors with glass panels in them.  The box sits on a shelf behind the door.  But this time the previous problem has not occurred.  Different composition glass I guess.

Phil

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@Worm48 - There are a couple of things you can try -

Do you have another wired STB that is not used as much? You can swap the two. Probably not a good idea if the other STB is COAX & the DVR is cat5. Also, reaction of STB may  be slower.  But, you can see if there is a diffrence in the two boxes.

Try this tape over the IR sensor - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-30002664/202741845#specifications This will work if the DVR IR sensor is too sensitive.

As a test for IR corruption from TV or ambient light place a pole or broomstick from the remote to the DVR & "tent" it with a blanket. Operate the remote under cover of the tent to see if it works better.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

My box is in the open. Although I'm concerned that my remote is not the correct remote. Also when I go to remote setup my remote is not listed. My remote is a S30-S1A... And I've had uverse before, but I remember my dvr being a lot bigger. My new device is smaller and the number on the front is IPH8010... It's just a little bigger than my wireless receivers.. Don't know if that means anything but that's the only thing I can think of. Only thing I can think about doing is to get a service guy out here to see it..
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.