Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Dec 26, 2013
3:35:42 PM
View profile
Changed resolution on TV now have a black screen

Hello,

I have a TV in the bedroom that is connected to a client. We wanted to compare the picture quality so we used the Direct TV remote, the RC65X, pressed the Menu button, went to Settings, Display and TV Resolutions. On that screen, two boxes were checked showing the compatible resolutions for the TV, the 720 and the 1080i. Instructions at the top of screen stated to chose one of the checked boxes, then push select. If the screen goes black or is distorted, wait for a clear picture. We chose the 1080i, pushed select and the screen went black. That was two days ago and it is still black. We have audio but no picture. Since the screen is black, you can't see anything when you push any of the buttons on the remote control. We have reset both the main console and the client with no solution. We called tech support and she had us checking cables, etc even tho there was no problem with the TV before we decided to play with the resolution. Tech support could not correct the issue. Sadly we did this shortly after we got Directv, called Tech support and it was fixed within 15 min. Anybody have a similar situation?

Hello,

I have a TV in the bedroom that is connected to a client. We wanted to compare the picture quality so we used the Direct TV remote, the RC65X, pressed the Menu button, went to Settings, Display and TV Resolutions. On that screen, two boxes were checked showing the compatible resolutions for the TV, the 720 and the 1080i. Instructions at the top of screen stated to chose one of the checked boxes, then push select. If the screen goes black or is distorted, wait for a clear picture. We chose the 1080i, pushed select and the screen went black. That was two days ago and it is still black. We have audio but no picture. Since the screen is black, you can't see anything when you push any of the buttons on the remote control. We have reset both the main console and the client with no solution. We called tech support and she had us checking cables, etc even tho there was no problem with the TV before we decided to play with the resolution. Tech support could not correct the issue. Sadly we did this shortly after we got Directv, called Tech support and it was fixed within 15 min. Anybody have a similar situation?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 26, 2013 5:00:32 PM
(0)
Employee

Press and hold the client power button ( DirecTV logo) for about 15 seconds

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Changed resolution on TV now have a black screen

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 3:52:20 PM
(0)
Employee

I am confused? Is the problem fix?

I am confused? Is the problem fix?

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Changed resolution on TV now have a black screen

2 of 9 (265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 4:26:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

No the problem hasn't been fixed. Sorry for the confusion.

No the problem hasn't been fixed. Sorry for the confusion.

3 of 9 (265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 4:37:12 PM
(0)
Administrator

You need to connect the box to your tv via Composite (Red, White, Yellow), in order to set the output of the box to 720p.  If the screen goes black when choosing 1080i and stays that way, that means your hdtv is not compatible with that setting.

It does help to post the manufacturer & model of your set, or even if you have the book, open up to the specifications page in the back, and it tells you what resolutions that it is capable.

Most newer sets made after 2007, will do 1080p, even though they state that they are only 720p Native.

As long as you have the box connected via HDMI, the box should have seen that your tv was not 1080i capable, and set for default of 720p.

Now of course odd things have happened, and found out that the person having this issue, had changed the input on their tv to a different one, than what their Set Top Box or DVR is connected to.

You need to connect the box to your tv via Composite (Red, White, Yellow), in order to set the output of the box to 720p.  If the screen goes black when choosing 1080i and stays that way, that means your hdtv is not compatible with that setting.

It does help to post the manufacturer & model of your set, or even if you have the book, open up to the specifications page in the back, and it tells you what resolutions that it is capable.

Most newer sets made after 2007, will do 1080p, even though they state that they are only 720p Native.

As long as you have the box connected via HDMI, the box should have seen that your tv was not 1080i capable, and set for default of 720p.

Now of course odd things have happened, and found out that the person having this issue, had changed the input on their tv to a different one, than what their Set Top Box or DVR is connected to.

4 of 9 (265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 4:43:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You should be able to press the front panel RESolution button, or the remote's FORMAT button to change to a display resolution that your TV can handle.   Once you get your video back, go into the Video/HDTV Setup Menu and deselect the problematic video resolution.

You should be able to press the front panel RESolution button, or the remote's FORMAT button to change to a display resolution that your TV can handle.   Once you get your video back, go into the Video/HDTV Setup Menu and deselect the problematic video resolution.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 9 (265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 26, 2013 5:00:32 PM
(0)
Employee

6 of 9 (265 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 5:03:47 PM
(0)
Administrator

Peds48, is that just a Soft Reset I take it, to default the unit back to 480i?

Peds48, is that just a Soft Reset I take it, to default the unit back to 480i?

7 of 9 (265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 7:22:51 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you! Thank you!

This was the solution to our problem!

All is well

Carol

Thank you! Thank you!

This was the solution to our problem!

All is well

Carol

8 of 9 (265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 3:33:15 PM
(0)
Employee

You most welcome.  Enjoy.

You most welcome.  Enjoy.

9 of 9 (265 Views)