Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Mar 14, 2014
2:45:44 PM
View profile
Can the RC71 be used to turn a receiver on/off?

My remote is programmed to work the receiver's volume, but also would love it if it can turn the receiver on/off.

My remote is programmed to work the receiver's volume, but also would love it if it can turn the receiver on/off.

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 3:17:49 PM
(0)
Professor

Probably not as the RC71 is a pretty stripped down remote but codes can be add thru software updates.

Probably not as the RC71 is a pretty stripped down remote but codes can be add thru software updates.

Re: Can the RC71 be used to turn a receiver on/off?

2 of 8 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 4:25:22 PM
(0)
Employee

The RC71 can't turn off or on any audio device

The RC71 can't turn off or on any audio device

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 8 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 5:30:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

This is slightly incorrect, when programming an audio device and setting volume lock, I have found some (Samsung, Sony, and LG) Audio Receivers turn off when you press off as well as the TV and DirecTv, I believe they use the same off command/frequency as the TV which is why, but I have seen all three turn off with the off button before.

This is slightly incorrect, when programming an audio device and setting volume lock, I have found some (Samsung, Sony, and LG) Audio Receivers turn off when you press off as well as the TV and DirecTv, I believe they use the same off command/frequency as the TV which is why, but I have seen all three turn off with the off button before.

4 of 8 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 5:57:28 PM
(0)
Guru

I would bet more on hdmi cec controlling power off on all hdmi

Connected

my rc71

Turns off all three but its due to hdmi

Cec control when the tv powers off

Everything powers off

Connected

my rc71

Everything powers off

5 of 8 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 5:58:35 PM
(0)
Employee

Incorrect! Vegeta. Any control you might have seen must be through HDMI-CEC

Incorrect! Vegeta. Any control you might have seen must be through HDMI-CEC

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 8 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 6:41:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

That is what I was saying, it could turn them off, I believe the units I seen do this were controlled through an ARC HDMI port to the Audio Receiver. I said it can, but I didn’t know how. I am sure what you all posted is how though, I forgot about CEC.

Sent from Windows Mail

Sent: ‎Friday‎, ‎March‎ ‎14‎, ‎2014 ‎8‎:‎57‎ ‎PM

To: Kyle Daniels

DIRECTV Technical Forums

reply from dtvuser2013 in DIRECTV Remote Controls - View the full discussion

Connected

my rc71

Everything powers off

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on DIRECTV Technical Forums

Start a new discussion in DIRECTV Remote Controls by email or at DIRECTV Technical Forums

Following Can the RC71 be used to turn a receiver on/off? in these streams: Inbox

That is what I was saying, it could turn them off, I believe the units I seen do this were controlled through an ARC HDMI port to the Audio Receiver. I said it can, but I didn’t know how. I am sure what you all posted is how though, I forgot about CEC.

Sent from Windows Mail

Sent: ‎Friday‎, ‎March‎ ‎14‎, ‎2014 ‎8‎:‎57‎ ‎PM

To: Kyle Daniels

DIRECTV Technical Forums

reply from dtvuser2013 in DIRECTV Remote Controls - View the full discussion

Connected

my rc71

Everything powers off

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on DIRECTV Technical Forums

Start a new discussion in DIRECTV Remote Controls by email or at DIRECTV Technical Forums

Following Can the RC71 be used to turn a receiver on/off? in these streams: Inbox

7 of 8 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 6:59:46 PM
(0)
Employee

ARC and CEC are not the same.  ARC is Audio Return channel and CEC is Consumer Equipment Control.  two very different things.

CEC does not make my reply incorrect.  the statement still stands, the RC71 can't turn ON or OFF any audio device, this is  a fact!

ARC and CEC are not the same.  ARC is Audio Return channel and CEC is Consumer Equipment Control.  two very different things.

CEC does not make my reply incorrect.  the statement still stands, the RC71 can't turn ON or OFF any audio device, this is  a fact!

8 of 8 (10 Views)