Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 9, 2011
7:29:20 AM
Wireless Receiver

How much is the new u-verse wireless receiver and does it really work well?  Thanks

How much is the new u-verse wireless receiver and does it really work well?  Thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 9, 2011 7:35:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

From the link below:

Wireless Receiver: A one-time fee of $49, and monthly recurring fee of $7, per wireless receiver applies. Wireless from the Wireless Access Point to the Wireless Receiver; power outlet and separate connection of Wireless Receiver to TV is required. For residential use in a single household only. Limit 2 wireless receivers per household. Customer responsible for use of Wireless Receiver. Actual range of wireless signal will vary and may be limited by several factors including, but not limited to electromagnetic interference, home construction material, obstructions, and other environmental factors.

http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/wireless-receiver.jsp

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Wireless Receiver

47 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(47)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 9, 2011 7:35:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

From the link below:

Wireless Receiver: A one-time fee of $49, and monthly recurring fee of $7, per wireless receiver applies. Wireless from the Wireless Access Point to the Wireless Receiver; power outlet and separate connection of Wireless Receiver to TV is required. For residential use in a single household only. Limit 2 wireless receivers per household. Customer responsible for use of Wireless Receiver. Actual range of wireless signal will vary and may be limited by several factors including, but not limited to electromagnetic interference, home construction material, obstructions, and other environmental factors.

From the link below:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Wireless Receiver

2 of 48 (66,743 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2011 1:17:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

Huge disappointment on my end with the wireless receivers. I had U-verse installed on Nove 5th 2011. The tech who installed it decided that it would be too difficult to run the wires where i needed the tv's located so he hooked up wireless instead. there has been 3 tech's out since then trying to resolve the issue of my recorded shows freezing for a slight second and then skipping when it came back. very irritating.

Issues are still not resolved and another appointment has been made for yet another technician to comeout so I can walk them through the whole problem again and we can go through all the steps already done yet again.

If your thinking about going wireless, don't.

Huge disappointment on my end with the wireless receivers. I had U-verse installed on Nove 5th 2011. The tech who installed it decided that it would be too difficult to run the wires where i needed the tv's located so he hooked up wireless instead. there has been 3 tech's out since then trying to resolve the issue of my recorded shows freezing for a slight second and then skipping when it came back. very irritating.

Issues are still not resolved and another appointment has been made for yet another technician to comeout so I can walk them through the whole problem again and we can go through all the steps already done yet again.

If your thinking about going wireless, don't.

3 of 48 (66,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2011 1:35:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Nov 15, 2011 at 1:41:39 PM

I've seen good reviews from others who have the wireless receiver.  Your issues are probably not due to the use of the wireless receiver.

Can you download and install SomeJoe's tool at the link below?

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

Once you install the tool, please post screenshots of the following tabs: IP/ProfileError Table, Bitloading, & Coax/HPNA.

We can take a look at the screenshots to see if there appears to be any issues with your system.

I've seen good reviews from others who have the wireless receiver.  Your issues are probably not due to the use of the wireless receiver.

Can you download and install SomeJoe's tool at the link below?

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

Once you install the tool, please post screenshots of the following tabs: IP/ProfileError Table, Bitloading, & Coax/HPNA.

We can take a look at the screenshots to see if there appears to be any issues with your system.

[ Edited ]
4 of 48 (66,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 7:44:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have an appointment next week to get Uverse service.  I'm getting the wireless receiver for our workout room.

Right now we have DSL and the 2Wire gateway is in our office at the back of the house.  I'm assuming that the gateway for Uverse will get installed in this office as well.

If so, as I understand the system configuration, the functionality of the wireless receiver will be the range of the Access point to the receiver itself.

So the $100 question is:  What is the effective range of these two components.   Yes, I understand that walls and materials affect the answer.  It's about 50 feet (and 3 sheetrock walls) from where I expect the Gateway to be installed to where we want the wireless receiver to be connected.  

What do you all think?

I have an appointment next week to get Uverse service.  I'm getting the wireless receiver for our workout room.

Right now we have DSL and the 2Wire gateway is in our office at the back of the house.  I'm assuming that the gateway for Uverse will get installed in this office as well.

If so, as I understand the system configuration, the functionality of the wireless receiver will be the range of the Access point to the receiver itself.

So the $100 question is:  What is the effective range of these two components.   Yes, I understand that walls and materials affect the answer.  It's about 50 feet (and 3 sheetrock walls) from where I expect the Gateway to be installed to where we want the wireless receiver to be connected.  

What do you all think?

5 of 48 (65,516 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 8:26:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The range of the WAP for the wireless receiver is approximately 100 feet.  Which U-verse services are you getting?

The range of the WAP for the wireless receiver is approximately 100 feet.  Which U-verse services are you getting?

6 of 48 (65,506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 8:52:02 AM
(0)
Tutor

HD Video, voip, 24mips internet.

I'm a little nervous as we aren't getting fiber to the house.   Apparently, it's fiber to some location and copper throughout the neighborhood.

We left cable services many years ago and went with satellite due to video and service issues.

Thus, I'm taking a chance and hope it goes well.

HD Video, voip, 24mips internet.

I'm a little nervous as we aren't getting fiber to the house.   Apparently, it's fiber to some location and copper throughout the neighborhood.

We left cable services many years ago and went with satellite due to video and service issues.

Thus, I'm taking a chance and hope it goes well.

7 of 48 (65,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 8:53:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

BTW, I'm a Texas guy too.  Smiley Wink

Live in DFW area.

Live in DFW area.

8 of 48 (65,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 8:55:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Whitehaven wrote:

That is the setup for the vast majority of U-verse customers.  

Which satellite service do you currently have?  I had both Dish Network and DirecTV prior to U-verse.  I don't miss either one of them.

Whitehaven wrote:

That is the setup for the vast majority of U-verse customers.  

Which satellite service do you currently have?  I had both Dish Network and DirecTV prior to U-verse.  I don't miss either one of them.

9 of 48 (65,497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 8:56:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Whitehaven wrote:

Live in DFW area.

Cool.  I'm also in the DFW area!  Always nice to meet a fellow Texan.  Smiley Wink

Whitehaven wrote:

Live in DFW area.

Cool.  I'm also in the DFW area!  Always nice to meet a fellow Texan.  Smiley Wink

10 of 48 (65,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 10:51:53 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have Dish Network and to be fair I've enjoyed their service.   Just looking for more options for my enterainment.  Plus the raging internet speek.  Smiley Very Happy

I'm really hoping that the wireless reciever (and it's range) will open up a number of enterainment possibilities.   TV in the workout room, on the patio, out by the firepit, etc.

What do you think?  I hope the installation person is flexible and/or creative in meeting my expectations. 

I have Dish Network and to be fair I've enjoyed their service.   Just looking for more options for my enterainment.  Plus the raging internet speek.  Smiley Very Happy

I'm really hoping that the wireless reciever (and it's range) will open up a number of enterainment possibilities.   TV in the workout room, on the patio, out by the firepit, etc.

What do you think?  I hope the installation person is flexible and/or creative in meeting my expectations. 

11 of 48 (61,896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 1:09:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I don't have a wireless receiver, but it looks like a good option if you want to be able to watch TV occasionally in different locations.  I had Dish Network for 3 years prior to switching to U-verse in May 2009.  I don't miss Dish, and I haven't looked back.

I don't have a wireless receiver, but it looks like a good option if you want to be able to watch TV occasionally in different locations.  I had Dish Network for 3 years prior to switching to U-verse in May 2009.  I don't miss Dish, and I haven't looked back.

12 of 48 (61,864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 1:14:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

Do you have fiber to the house?

Also, do you think the installation person will be flexible in meeting my expectations?

Do you have fiber to the house?

Also, do you think the installation person will be flexible in meeting my expectations?

13 of 48 (61,860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 1:18:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No, I have fiber to the node (FTTN).  Very few U-verse customers have fiber to the premises (FTTP).

It depends on what expectations you are referring to during the installation.  The premises technicians are told to install U-verse in the way that is easiest for them to install it.  The new wireless receivers do allow for a lot more flexibility.

No, I have fiber to the node (FTTN).  Very few U-verse customers have fiber to the premises (FTTP).

It depends on what expectations you are referring to during the installation.  The premises technicians are told to install U-verse in the way that is easiest for them to install it.  The new wireless receivers do allow for a lot more flexibility.

14 of 48 (61,857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 1:21:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

Sorry to pepper you with so many questions.  One last one.....

Would you expect that we will be able to retain the Gateway in our office?

Sorry to pepper you with so many questions.  One last one.....

Would you expect that we will be able to retain the Gateway in our office?

15 of 48 (61,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 1:25:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Perhaps, but it depends on the technician.  The technician normally determines the best place to locate the RG.  You can tell him where you would like it to be, but he'll make the call ask to whether or not that location will work.  My RG is in my office which is where my old cable modem was located prior to getting U-verse.

Perhaps, but it depends on the technician.  The technician normally determines the best place to locate the RG.  You can tell him where you would like it to be, but he'll make the call ask to whether or not that location will work.  My RG is in my office which is where my old cable modem was located prior to getting U-verse.

16 of 48 (61,851 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 1:26:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for all of your support.   It's been very useful.

Thanks for all of your support.   It's been very useful.

17 of 48 (61,851 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 1:32:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If you have any other questions, just let us know.  There a lot of knowledgeable customers here on the forum who are always happy to help.

If you have any other questions, just let us know.  There a lot of knowledgeable customers here on the forum who are always happy to help.

18 of 48 (61,849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2011 12:17:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

THREE BIG QUESTIONS.......

1---Do we install the ONE wireless FIRST ---- then disconnect the other wired.......& then what do we do with those???

2---How do you know if you need TWO, rather than one!!!!????

IF this works, then we have to cover up & disable all the Uverse outlets and repair sheetrock presumably in all the rooms where we've just had them installed in our new house this Fall -------RIGHT???            wonder why AT&T even wanted me to PAY for special wires for all of them, when this was going to be an option!?    Smiley Sad

1---Do we install the ONE wireless FIRST ---- then disconnect the other wired.......& then what do we do with those???

IF this works, then we have to cover up & disable all the Uverse outlets and repair sheetrock presumably in all the rooms where we've just had them installed in our new house this Fall -------RIGHT???            wonder why AT&T even wanted me to PAY for special wires for all of them, when this was going to be an option!?    Smiley Sad

Re: Wireless Receiver ----- What to do w/old wired ones? Need 2 or 1? Old outlets obsolete?

19 of 48 (61,772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2011 6:46:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

picketyfence wrote:

1) DVR's may not be served wirelessly, so you'll have to have at least one wired box (unless you're on U-100 or U-Basic and don't have a DVR at all).

2) AT&T doesn't show its cards before it plays them.  They didn't tell anyone wireless reciever were coming until they had them on the trucks.  Your wired STBs will continue to work fine.  In your situation, I don't think I'd be looking to pay the trip charge and the initial service fee for getting wireless boxes to replace wired ones.

picketyfence wrote:

1) DVR's may not be served wirelessly, so you'll have to have at least one wired box (unless you're on U-100 or U-Basic and don't have a DVR at all).

2) AT&T doesn't show its cards before it plays them.  They didn't tell anyone wireless reciever were coming until they had them on the trucks.  Your wired STBs will continue to work fine.  In your situation, I don't think I'd be looking to pay the trip charge and the initial service fee for getting wireless boxes to replace wired ones.

Re: Wireless Receiver ----- What to do w/old wired ones? Need 2 or 1? Old outlets obsolete?

20 of 48 (61,745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2011 12:57:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just had U-Verse installed - and have a wireless receiver in my den - RG is in the hall, close to center of the house.  So far, wireless receiver works well.  My issue is the range for wifi.  I can pick up a signal, weak though it is, in the front of the house on my lap top, but can not get anything on my iPhone if I am more than 15' (unobstructed) away.  If any of the doors are closed, then I get nothing.  Before U-Verse I was able to get signal on the front porch, with the doors closed. 

Not real impressed or amused. 

WHat is the easiest (not a tech person here) way for me to extend range/improve signal strength?

I just had U-Verse installed - and have a wireless receiver in my den - RG is in the hall, close to center of the house.  So far, wireless receiver works well.  My issue is the range for wifi.  I can pick up a signal, weak though it is, in the front of the house on my lap top, but can not get anything on my iPhone if I am more than 15' (unobstructed) away.  If any of the doors are closed, then I get nothing.  Before U-Verse I was able to get signal on the front porch, with the doors closed. 

Not real impressed or amused. 

WHat is the easiest (not a tech person here) way for me to extend range/improve signal strength?

21 of 48 (61,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2011 2:21:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Use a Netgear/D-link (or other) Wireless router, configured to serve as an access point.  You can connect it by CAT 5e to the RG and locate it anywhere you can connect it for better home coverage.  There are quite a few posts on how to do that already in this forum.

Use a Netgear/D-link (or other) Wireless router, configured to serve as an access point.  You can connect it by CAT 5e to the RG and locate it anywhere you can connect it for better home coverage.  There are quite a few posts on how to do that already in this forum.

22 of 48 (61,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2011 3:48:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

Is there any way to connect it to the receiver in the front of the house?  U-Verse tech installed a router at the RG for the wireless receiver in the back of the house - it just isn't "strong" enough to reach the front of the house.  Or, could the problem be with my iPhone?  It gets a signal (weak) in the back of the house, but not the front.

Is there any way to connect it to the receiver in the front of the house?  U-Verse tech installed a router at the RG for the wireless receiver in the back of the house - it just isn't "strong" enough to reach the front of the house.  Or, could the problem be with my iPhone?  It gets a signal (weak) in the back of the house, but not the front.

23 of 48 (61,322 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2011 6:42:13 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by unrtechie on Dec 7, 2011 at 7:21:38 PM

Another way to increase your wireless reach/range is to do a scan for other wireless networks in the area and move your wireless channel away from those.  For instance, most 2wire modems/RGs default to channel 1 when unpacked.  If the modem/RG does not change this channel and there are several nearby this can cause interference.  I had an issue with mine being weak until I changed the channel on my wireless network and now it runs a lot smoother.

One your wireless stb, the easy way to tell how the strong the signal to it is, use the signal LEDs on the front next to the power.  A good tech on install wants to make sure you have at least three if not four bars.  Also, if the wireless receiver works well and your wireless devices don't, it's a good sign that you might need to change your wireless channel.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Another way to increase your wireless reach/range is to do a scan for other wireless networks in the area and move your wireless channel away from those.  For instance, most 2wire modems/RGs default to channel 1 when unpacked.  If the modem/RG does not change this channel and there are several nearby this can cause interference.  I had an issue with mine being weak until I changed the channel on my wireless network and now it runs a lot smoother.

One your wireless stb, the easy way to tell how the strong the signal to it is, use the signal LEDs on the front next to the power.  A good tech on install wants to make sure you have at least three if not four bars.  Also, if the wireless receiver works well and your wireless devices don't, it's a good sign that you might need to change your wireless channel.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
24 of 48 (61,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2011 7:35:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

I hate to admit it, but I am such a dummy with all of this.  If I change the channel on the RG, do I have to do anything else?  Like change the router?  if so how and what?

I hate to admit it, but I am such a dummy with all of this.  If I change the channel on the RG, do I have to do anything else?  Like change the router?  if so how and what?

25 of 48 (61,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2012 10:38:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

I live in DFW area as well. I am having issues with the WAP and wireless receiver's signal strength. Sometimes no signal at all and sometimes we get a signal, but everyone has to be seated or else the signal cuts out if a person stands and "blocks the signal". Is it possible to run a cat5 or create a wap further away from the RG (closer to wireless box)? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

I live in DFW area as well. I am having issues with the WAP and wireless receiver's signal strength. Sometimes no signal at all and sometimes we get a signal, but everyone has to be seated or else the signal cuts out if a person stands and "blocks the signal". Is it possible to run a cat5 or create a wap further away from the RG (closer to wireless box)? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

26 of 48 (60,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2012 11:08:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have had the wireless receiver since Dec 5 2011 and have had nothing but problems.  As someone else said below it pauses frequently during live TV and during playback of recorded programs. It also freezes at times during recorded playback and you have to go thru pressing buttons on the remote, find your program again in the list of programs and then restart and fast forward to where you were watching. And now its worse - it goes completely black and you have to unplug it and reboot the receiver completely. When this happens DURING THE SUPER BOWL!!! it is serious.

I am on my second receiver and they both had the same issues so it has to be the receiver.

I thought AT&T was aware when they sent me a survey over a month ago asking if I was having any of these issues - their survey actually listed all the issues I was having. BUT when you call tech support they say they have never heard of such issues ??? REALLY???

I think I resent the attitude of corporate trying to hide the problem more than anything else. You obviously know - or someone does - so why don't your techs know - or know but not allowed to admit it!

There is obviously an issue - you can find more reports on the internet of all the same problems. So just admit there is an issue and give me some idea of how and when you hope to resolve it and I will stick with you. But don't lie to me or try to cover up the issues.

I love the picture quality of the fiber optics, but if I can't resolve the issues I am going back to cable.  

Very dissatisfied AT&T customer!

I have had the wireless receiver since Dec 5 2011 and have had nothing but problems.  As someone else said below it pauses frequently during live TV and during playback of recorded programs. It also freezes at times during recorded playback and you have to go thru pressing buttons on the remote, find your program again in the list of programs and then restart and fast forward to where you were watching. And now its worse - it goes completely black and you have to unplug it and reboot the receiver completely. When this happens DURING THE SUPER BOWL!!! it is serious.

I am on my second receiver and they both had the same issues so it has to be the receiver.

I thought AT&T was aware when they sent me a survey over a month ago asking if I was having any of these issues - their survey actually listed all the issues I was having. BUT when you call tech support they say they have never heard of such issues ??? REALLY???

I think I resent the attitude of corporate trying to hide the problem more than anything else. You obviously know - or someone does - so why don't your techs know - or know but not allowed to admit it!

There is obviously an issue - you can find more reports on the internet of all the same problems. So just admit there is an issue and give me some idea of how and when you hope to resolve it and I will stick with you. But don't lie to me or try to cover up the issues.

I love the picture quality of the fiber optics, but if I can't resolve the issues I am going back to cable.  

Very dissatisfied AT&T customer!

27 of 48 (60,839 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2012 4:05:03 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by todarling on Feb 7, 2012 at 4:06:13 AM

I have 2 wireless boxes one works fine the other has problems. One is hooked up via HDMI to a Sanyo TV and the other is hooked to a Samsung via HDMI. The problem is almost every day when I turn on the Samsung TV and box after a few minutes to picture goes black and the wireless box freezes and has to be unplugged to reboot the box to get it working again. After rebooting it will be fine until it is turned off and back on again. The Sanyo with its box works just fine.  I have switched the boxes on the Samsung and Sanyo and the problem stays with the Samsung. I have also tried leaving the wireless box and only turning off the TV but the problem is still there.  I have also tried a different HDMI cable.  There must be some sort of compatibility issue with the wireless box and this model of Samsung TV.

I have 2 wireless boxes one works fine the other has problems. One is hooked up via HDMI to a Sanyo TV and the other is hooked to a Samsung via HDMI. The problem is almost every day when I turn on the Samsung TV and box after a few minutes to picture goes black and the wireless box freezes and has to be unplugged to reboot the box to get it working again. After rebooting it will be fine until it is turned off and back on again. The Sanyo with its box works just fine.  I have switched the boxes on the Samsung and Sanyo and the problem stays with the Samsung. I have also tried leaving the wireless box and only turning off the TV but the problem is still there.  I have also tried a different HDMI cable.  There must be some sort of compatibility issue with the wireless box and this model of Samsung TV.

[ Edited ]
28 of 48 (60,803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2012 4:57:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

Very interesting - my TV is a samsung as well -????

Very interesting - my TV is a samsung as well -????

29 of 48 (60,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2012 7:11:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

todarling wrote:

Try switching from an HDMI cable to component cables on the Samsung to if the problem persists.  

todarling wrote:

Try switching from an HDMI cable to component cables on the Samsung to if the problem persists.  

30 of 48 (60,780 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments