For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Jessme_1's profile

Mentor

• 

69 Messages

Saturday, November 27th, 2010 2:18 PM

Uverse Realtime

I have downloaded the realtime program. Looks pretty cool, but there is a problem. I haven't a clue as to what Im looking at. LOL. Could someone give me an idea as to what I should be looking at? Also, I couldn't figure out how to post a screen shot. So maybe we could start there so you can see what I see.

I dont have any problems or anything. Just wondering what all this info means.

Thanks,

P.S.. Not sure if this is the right area for this. If not, please move to the proper forum.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Start Menu -> Programs -> U-Verse Realtime -> ReadMe.

Mentor

• 

69 Messages

13 years ago

LOL, my bad. Thanks Joe

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

13 years ago

Hi-I just updated my realtime and now it can't find the correct IP address-it justs keep saying error.  It used to start with 168, I believe and I am unable to locate it.  I've done a search for the last time I requested this info and for whatever reason, it does not show up in the search.  Can someone please tell me what the IP address should be if you can not use the default address that Realtime starts with?

Thanks,

Bob.

EDIT:  Please disregard as I found it-FINALLY!!  I don't understand why this program doesn't give you a list of IP addresses that it supports to pick from than the default address.  FYI, 192.168.1.254 for anyone else that is looking for other IP address so that Realtime will work...

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

If you have a default U-Verse installation, the program will automatically find your 2Wire router by using the default gateway IP address on your computer.

If you have installed your own router or you have otherwise changed the configuration of the 2Wire router to use your own settings, then you will have to tell U-Verse Realtime what the IP address of the 2Wire is.

How could the program give you a list of IP addresses to choose from?  There are 4 billion IPv4 addresses.  If you've chosen your own for your configuration, how is the program supposed to know that?  Guess?  Crystal ball?  I'm a good programmer, but I have not yet perfected the Telepathy.dll library.

Scholar

• 

244 Messages

13 years ago

I also read through the U-Verse Realtime Manual and downloaded Version 1.7.  After reading the manual, I still cannot figure out how to use it.  So far I'm just keeping the installation file on my disk but only see a use for it if my system develops some problems.

I can see, if I have problems with U-Verse, it would allow posting of the screens to this forum for help.  However, what if everything is working correctly, do I need that program?  What would I do with it?

Also, I've read here that ATT won't use or discuss it's output.  That's too bad since the main function I could see for it is to use it in discussions with ATT support.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

13 years ago

There are several uses when you're not having issues:

1) To view the network utilization on the various ports of the RG, including the WAN port

2) To observe what each STB and/or DVR is watching or recording

3) To provide the information from #2 via a built-in web server to other devices (including mobile phones), potentially when you're outside your home

4) To gather benchmark information about your system when it's working, so you have something to compare with when it doesn't.  [This is often overlooked, but can be very important.]

Scholar

• 

244 Messages

13 years ago

When using Uverse Realtime, does one have to keep it running all the time in background or does one just run it for a short time, save screens and then shut it down?

Also, can Uverse Realtime and its other required program (s) interfere with Uverse / PC / Network operations, itself, degrading other performance?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

13 years ago

SomeJoe7777 (the author) can address these points more fully, but

@sirmaru wrote:

When using Uverse Realtime, does one have to keep it running all the time in background or does one just run it for a short time, save screens and then shut it down?

It depends on what you're using it for.  If you're using it to provide the built-in webserver so that you can see the channels being watched on the various devices, it must be run continously.  For most other uses, you can just run it when you want to see something it can display for you.  It does need to run a few minutes to collect some usage information.

Also, can Uverse Realtime and its other required program (s) interfere with Uverse / PC / Network operations, itself, degrading other performance?

Any program you run consumes some resources and this is no exception.  However, I have found it quite frugal in its consumption of PC resources.  I believe that some earlier versions could cause some additional network loading issues in certain network configurations, but I dont' believe that is the case with the latest versions.  Again, SomeJoe7777 would have to address that specifically.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

SJ what do these stats mean?  For a few nights between 11pm and 1am my stbs were unable to see recordings on the dvr.  While watching recorded shows I would get a the message "press ok to see recorded programs".

ErrorTable-2011-02-24-20-17-04.png

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

sirmaru,

You can leave UVRT running if you want to use the features that JefferMC talked about: Seeing what channels are being watched/recorded, seeing your WAN/Ingress/Egress stream counts, looking at the interface data rates, or using the web server to see channel and DVR information remotely.  If you don't need any of that information and just want to use the program for periodic line diagnostics, you can of course run it only when you need it.

UVRT should not interfere with any other network programs.  UVRT is 99% passive, simply listening on the network.  Once per minute, it does issue some HTTP (web) requests to the RG to retrieve information, and it sends out one packet to make sure it can read the channel information.  But like any other program, it runs concurrently with everything else on your PC.  Back in version 1.2.x.x, there were methods used that caused a lot of network traffic, but those methods were abandoned in favor of the current methods as of v1.3.0.0.

I took great pains in the programming of the multithreading in UVRT to ensure that the program does not hog the CPU when processing it's data.  UVRT now runs approximately 16 threads internally to do it's various tasks.  Most of those spend 99% of the time sleeping.

For the technically inclined, here's a list of the threads that are running in the program:

1. User Interface thread

2. RG reconnect timer and RG connection setup

3. RG stats retrieval timer and stats gathering

4. Channels/Streams multicast packet timer and send

5. Date/time update timer

6. Network packet capture and channels/streams processing

7. Main stats display thread

8. Channels/Streams display update thread

9. Stream analyzer master timer

10. Stream analyzer display update thread

11. Channel database update timer and new DB processor

12. Program update timer, download, and stage thread

13. HTTP server

14. IP geolocation

15. Stats reporting and unknown channel reporting to central database

16. .Net Framework glue thread

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.