Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 27, 2010
6:18:28 AM
View profile
Uverse Realtime

I have downloaded the realtime program. Looks pretty cool, but there is a problem. I haven't a clue as to what Im looking at. LOL. Could someone give me an idea as to what I should be looking at? Also, I couldn't figure out how to post a screen shot. So maybe we could start there so you can see what I see.

I dont have any problems or anything. Just wondering what all this info means.

Thanks,

P.S.. Not sure if this is the right area for this. If not, please move to the proper forum.

I have downloaded the realtime program. Looks pretty cool, but there is a problem. I haven't a clue as to what Im looking at. LOL. Could someone give me an idea as to what I should be looking at? Also, I couldn't figure out how to post a screen shot. So maybe we could start there so you can see what I see.

I dont have any problems or anything. Just wondering what all this info means.

Thanks,

P.S.. Not sure if this is the right area for this. If not, please move to the proper forum.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 27, 2010 7:53:55 AM
(0)
Expert

Start Menu -> Programs -> U-Verse Realtime -> ReadMe.

Accepted Solution

Uverse Realtime

27 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(27)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 27, 2010 7:53:55 AM
(0)
Expert

Re: Uverse Realtime

2 of 28 (6,641 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2010 8:23:37 AM
(0)
Mentor

LOL, my bad. Thanks Joe

LOL, my bad. Thanks Joe

3 of 28 (6,622 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2011 10:08:55 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by perritterd on Feb 16, 2011 at 10:37:29 AM

Hi-I just updated my realtime and now it can't find the correct IP address-it justs keep saying error.  It used to start with 168, I believe and I am unable to locate it.  I've done a search for the last time I requested this info and for whatever reason, it does not show up in the search.  Can someone please tell me what the IP address should be if you can not use the default address that Realtime starts with?

Thanks,

Bob.

EDIT:  Please disregard as I found it-FINALLY!!  I don't understand why this program doesn't give you a list of IP addresses that it supports to pick from than the default address.  FYI, 192.168.1.254 for anyone else that is looking for other IP address so that Realtime will work...

Hi-I just updated my realtime and now it can't find the correct IP address-it justs keep saying error.  It used to start with 168, I believe and I am unable to locate it.  I've done a search for the last time I requested this info and for whatever reason, it does not show up in the search.  Can someone please tell me what the IP address should be if you can not use the default address that Realtime starts with?

Thanks,

Bob.

EDIT:  Please disregard as I found it-FINALLY!!  I don't understand why this program doesn't give you a list of IP addresses that it supports to pick from than the default address.  FYI, 192.168.1.254 for anyone else that is looking for other IP address so that Realtime will work...

[ Edited ]
4 of 28 (5,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2011 11:12:53 AM
(0)
Expert

If you have a default U-Verse installation, the program will automatically find your 2Wire router by using the default gateway IP address on your computer.

If you have installed your own router or you have otherwise changed the configuration of the 2Wire router to use your own settings, then you will have to tell U-Verse Realtime what the IP address of the 2Wire is.

How could the program give you a list of IP addresses to choose from?  There are 4 billion IPv4 addresses.  If you've chosen your own for your configuration, how is the program supposed to know that?  Guess?  Crystal ball?  I'm a good programmer, but I have not yet perfected the Telepathy.dll library.

If you have a default U-Verse installation, the program will automatically find your 2Wire router by using the default gateway IP address on your computer.

If you have installed your own router or you have otherwise changed the configuration of the 2Wire router to use your own settings, then you will have to tell U-Verse Realtime what the IP address of the 2Wire is.

How could the program give you a list of IP addresses to choose from?  There are 4 billion IPv4 addresses.  If you've chosen your own for your configuration, how is the program supposed to know that?  Guess?  Crystal ball?  I'm a good programmer, but I have not yet perfected the Telepathy.dll library.

5 of 28 (5,599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2011 5:29:25 PM
(0)
Scholar

I also read through the U-Verse Realtime Manual and downloaded Version 1.7.  After reading the manual, I still cannot figure out how to use it.  So far I'm just keeping the installation file on my disk but only see a use for it if my system develops some problems.

I can see, if I have problems with U-Verse, it would allow posting of the screens to this forum for help.  However, what if everything is working correctly, do I need that program?  What would I do with it?

Also, I've read here that ATT won't use or discuss it's output.  That's too bad since the main function I could see for it is to use it in discussions with ATT support.

I also read through the U-Verse Realtime Manual and downloaded Version 1.7.  After reading the manual, I still cannot figure out how to use it.  So far I'm just keeping the installation file on my disk but only see a use for it if my system develops some problems.

I can see, if I have problems with U-Verse, it would allow posting of the screens to this forum for help.  However, what if everything is working correctly, do I need that program?  What would I do with it?

Also, I've read here that ATT won't use or discuss it's output.  That's too bad since the main function I could see for it is to use it in discussions with ATT support.

6 of 28 (5,407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2011 9:48:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

There are several uses when you're not having issues:

1) To view the network utilization on the various ports of the RG, including the WAN port

2) To observe what each STB and/or DVR is watching or recording

3) To provide the information from #2 via a built-in web server to other devices (including mobile phones), potentially when you're outside your home

4) To gather benchmark information about your system when it's working, so you have something to compare with when it doesn't.  [This is often overlooked, but can be very important.]

There are several uses when you're not having issues:

1) To view the network utilization on the various ports of the RG, including the WAN port

2) To observe what each STB and/or DVR is watching or recording

3) To provide the information from #2 via a built-in web server to other devices (including mobile phones), potentially when you're outside your home

4) To gather benchmark information about your system when it's working, so you have something to compare with when it doesn't.  [This is often overlooked, but can be very important.]

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 28 (5,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2011 5:46:11 AM
(0)
Scholar

When using Uverse Realtime, does one have to keep it running all the time in background or does one just run it for a short time, save screens and then shut it down?

Also, can Uverse Realtime and its other required program (s) interfere with Uverse / PC / Network operations, itself, degrading other performance?

When using Uverse Realtime, does one have to keep it running all the time in background or does one just run it for a short time, save screens and then shut it down?

Also, can Uverse Realtime and its other required program (s) interfere with Uverse / PC / Network operations, itself, degrading other performance?

8 of 28 (5,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2011 8:13:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

SomeJoe7777 (the author) can address these points more fully, but

sirmaru wrote:

It depends on what you're using it for.  If you're using it to provide the built-in webserver so that you can see the channels being watched on the various devices, it must be run continously.  For most other uses, you can just run it when you want to see something it can display for you.  It does need to run a few minutes to collect some usage information.

Any program you run consumes some resources and this is no exception.  However, I have found it quite frugal in its consumption of PC resources.  I believe that some earlier versions could cause some additional network loading issues in certain network configurations, but I dont' believe that is the case with the latest versions.  Again, SomeJoe7777 would have to address that specifically.

SomeJoe7777 (the author) can address these points more fully, but

sirmaru wrote:

It depends on what you're using it for.  If you're using it to provide the built-in webserver so that you can see the channels being watched on the various devices, it must be run continously.  For most other uses, you can just run it when you want to see something it can display for you.  It does need to run a few minutes to collect some usage information.

Any program you run consumes some resources and this is no exception.  However, I have found it quite frugal in its consumption of PC resources.  I believe that some earlier versions could cause some additional network loading issues in certain network configurations, but I dont' believe that is the case with the latest versions.  Again, SomeJoe7777 would have to address that specifically.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 28 (5,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2011 5:23:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

SJ what do these stats mean?  For a few nights between 11pm and 1am my stbs were unable to see recordings on the dvr.  While watching recorded shows I would get a the message "press ok to see recorded programs".

SJ what do these stats mean?  For a few nights between 11pm and 1am my stbs were unable to see recordings on the dvr.  While watching recorded shows I would get a the message "press ok to see recorded programs".

10 of 28 (5,182 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2011 5:49:02 PM
(0)
Expert

sirmaru,

You can leave UVRT running if you want to use the features that JefferMC talked about: Seeing what channels are being watched/recorded, seeing your WAN/Ingress/Egress stream counts, looking at the interface data rates, or using the web server to see channel and DVR information remotely.  If you don't need any of that information and just want to use the program for periodic line diagnostics, you can of course run it only when you need it.

UVRT should not interfere with any other network programs.  UVRT is 99% passive, simply listening on the network.  Once per minute, it does issue some HTTP (web) requests to the RG to retrieve information, and it sends out one packet to make sure it can read the channel information.  But like any other program, it runs concurrently with everything else on your PC.  Back in version 1.2.x.x, there were methods used that caused a lot of network traffic, but those methods were abandoned in favor of the current methods as of v1.3.0.0.

I took great pains in the programming of the multithreading in UVRT to ensure that the program does not hog the CPU when processing it's data.  UVRT now runs approximately 16 threads internally to do it's various tasks.  Most of those spend 99% of the time sleeping.

For the technically inclined, here's a list of the threads that are running in the program:

1. User Interface thread

2. RG reconnect timer and RG connection setup

3. RG stats retrieval timer and stats gathering

4. Channels/Streams multicast packet timer and send

5. Date/time update timer

6. Network packet capture and channels/streams processing

7. Main stats display thread

8. Channels/Streams display update thread

9. Stream analyzer master timer

10. Stream analyzer display update thread

11. Channel database update timer and new DB processor

12. Program update timer, download, and stage thread

13. HTTP server

14. IP geolocation

15. Stats reporting and unknown channel reporting to central database

16. .Net Framework glue thread

sirmaru,

You can leave UVRT running if you want to use the features that JefferMC talked about: Seeing what channels are being watched/recorded, seeing your WAN/Ingress/Egress stream counts, looking at the interface data rates, or using the web server to see channel and DVR information remotely.  If you don't need any of that information and just want to use the program for periodic line diagnostics, you can of course run it only when you need it.

UVRT should not interfere with any other network programs.  UVRT is 99% passive, simply listening on the network.  Once per minute, it does issue some HTTP (web) requests to the RG to retrieve information, and it sends out one packet to make sure it can read the channel information.  But like any other program, it runs concurrently with everything else on your PC.  Back in version 1.2.x.x, there were methods used that caused a lot of network traffic, but those methods were abandoned in favor of the current methods as of v1.3.0.0.

I took great pains in the programming of the multithreading in UVRT to ensure that the program does not hog the CPU when processing it's data.  UVRT now runs approximately 16 threads internally to do it's various tasks.  Most of those spend 99% of the time sleeping.

For the technically inclined, here's a list of the threads that are running in the program:

1. User Interface thread

2. RG reconnect timer and RG connection setup

3. RG stats retrieval timer and stats gathering

4. Channels/Streams multicast packet timer and send

5. Date/time update timer

6. Network packet capture and channels/streams processing

7. Main stats display thread

8. Channels/Streams display update thread

9. Stream analyzer master timer

10. Stream analyzer display update thread

11. Channel database update timer and new DB processor

12. Program update timer, download, and stage thread

13. HTTP server

14. IP geolocation

15. Stats reporting and unknown channel reporting to central database

16. .Net Framework glue thread

11 of 28 (3,415 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2011 5:50:14 PM
(0)
Expert

RC,

Looks like you had a major line event occur about 1 Day 9 hours ago that resulting in a lot of errors.  Could have been lightning or something like that.  The line looks like it's been relatively clean since then.

RC,

Looks like you had a major line event occur about 1 Day 9 hours ago that resulting in a lot of errors.  Could have been lightning or something like that.  The line looks like it's been relatively clean since then.

12 of 28 (3,413 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2011 6:12:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Thanks SJ

Thanks SJ

13 of 28 (3,404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2011 2:23:45 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by PHOnos on Feb 25, 2011 at 2:42:31 PM

I downloaded the .zip file, opened it, double clicked the file that was enclosed and the following popped up from AdAware --

" Ad-Watch Live has blocked the process uvrt-v1.7.0.0-installer.exe (diagnosis: Malware family: Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT) "

Hacked?

Please excuse the cross posting from another thread regarding freezing/pixilation.

Edited for spelling and forgiveness

I downloaded the .zip file, opened it, double clicked the file that was enclosed and the following popped up from AdAware --

" Ad-Watch Live has blocked the process uvrt-v1.7.0.0-installer.exe (diagnosis: Malware family: Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT) "

Hacked?

Please excuse the cross posting from another thread regarding freezing/pixilation.

Edited for spelling and forgiveness

[ Edited ]
14 of 28 (3,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2011 4:02:43 PM
(0)
Expert

The installer from the web site is not infected.  There are a few anti-virus programs that are detecting a false positive on the U-Verse Realtime installer.  You can safely ignore or "whitelist" the installer.

If you like, please contact your anti-virus/anti-malware vendor and ask them to remove the false positive detection.

The installer from the web site is not infected.  There are a few anti-virus programs that are detecting a false positive on the U-Verse Realtime installer.  You can safely ignore or "whitelist" the installer.

If you like, please contact your anti-virus/anti-malware vendor and ask them to remove the false positive detection.

15 of 28 (3,341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2011 8:08:42 PM
(0)
Contributor
I downloaded and installed U-Realtime. I was able to use the Stream Analyzer for a time (5-10 traces). However, it stopped working and I haven't been able to get it going again. I show two streams from my two STBs on the Channels/Streams tab, but when I flip over to the Analyzer tab, I see the greyed out "No Streams Detected" in the Display Stream box. Status = Ready. If I then hit the Start Analysis button I get "Dectecting Streams" followed by "No Streams were Detected". I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that didn't fix it. Suspiciously, I think Realitme stopped working after I installed Wireshark and WinPcap 4.1.2. Should it all work together? I'd really like to get this going again as it uncovered some dropped packets, but I've been unable to re-check after making mods to my network config. I'm connected to my RG behind two switches (no intervening routers), but that's the same as it was before. Any ideas? Thanks!
I downloaded and installed U-Realtime. I was able to use the Stream Analyzer for a time (5-10 traces). However, it stopped working and I haven't been able to get it going again. I show two streams from my two STBs on the Channels/Streams tab, but when I flip over to the Analyzer tab, I see the greyed out "No Streams Detected" in the Display Stream box. Status = Ready. If I then hit the Start Analysis button I get "Dectecting Streams" followed by "No Streams were Detected". I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that didn't fix it. Suspiciously, I think Realitme stopped working after I installed Wireshark and WinPcap 4.1.2. Should it all work together? I'd really like to get this going again as it uncovered some dropped packets, but I've been unable to re-check after making mods to my network config. I'm connected to my RG behind two switches (no intervening routers), but that's the same as it was before. Any ideas? Thanks!

16 of 28 (3,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 8:49:57 AM
(0)
Expert

They should work together fine.

First, to use the Stream Analyzer, make sure you have hooked your computer up to your network in accordance with the directions and diagrams given on pages 20-22 of the ReadMe file.  If the computer is not hooked up like this, the Stream Analyzer will not detect any streams.

If you want to make sure everything is installed correctly, do this:

- Uninstall U-Verse Realtime

- Uninstall Wireshark

- Uninstall WinPCap

Now reboot and reinstall them in this order:

- Install Wireshark (will install WinPCap along with it)

- Install U-Verse Realtime (it will skip the WinPCap installation since it's already installed by Wireshark)

They should work together fine.

First, to use the Stream Analyzer, make sure you have hooked your computer up to your network in accordance with the directions and diagrams given on pages 20-22 of the ReadMe file.  If the computer is not hooked up like this, the Stream Analyzer will not detect any streams.

If you want to make sure everything is installed correctly, do this:

- Uninstall U-Verse Realtime

- Uninstall Wireshark

- Uninstall WinPCap

Now reboot and reinstall them in this order:

- Install Wireshark (will install WinPCap along with it)

- Install U-Verse Realtime (it will skip the WinPCap installation since it's already installed by Wireshark)

17 of 28 (3,284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 9:07:48 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by PHOnos on Feb 26, 2011 at 9:21:25 AM

Thanks SJ.

I rechecked the installer with McAfee and Spybot and they found nothing wrong.  So, I told AdAware to ignore the false positive and installed Realtime

U-verse seems to be running well this morning, one freeze in 4 hours and no pixelation.  I have Realtime running. 

Questions:  If my problems haven't re-occured should I just leave it running until (if) they do?  How do I post a screen shot as was suggested by Texasguy in another thread?

Thanks SJ.

I rechecked the installer with McAfee and Spybot and they found nothing wrong.  So, I told AdAware to ignore the false positive and installed Realtime

U-verse seems to be running well this morning, one freeze in 4 hours and no pixelation.  I have Realtime running. 

Questions:  If my problems haven't re-occured should I just leave it running until (if) they do?  How do I post a screen shot as was suggested by Texasguy in another thread?

[ Edited ]
18 of 28 (3,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 12:37:32 PM
(0)
Expert

You can leave it running if you'd like, or you can close it and run it again after any problems occur.  UVRT reads all values from the 2Wire RG, so if problem occur that result in errors in the error table (for instance), UVRT will display those the next time it runs since it reads the error counts from the RG.

To post a screenshot, you just click the Save Screenshot button, which will save it as a .png file.  Then you can post the screenshot here using the Insert Image button in the reply window toolbar.  I think you have to be at least a "Visitor" in rank on this forum to post images, so if you aren't, upload the image to a photo sharing site like Photobucket, ImageShack, Flickr, etc. and them post the link to the photo here.

You can leave it running if you'd like, or you can close it and run it again after any problems occur.  UVRT reads all values from the 2Wire RG, so if problem occur that result in errors in the error table (for instance), UVRT will display those the next time it runs since it reads the error counts from the RG.

To post a screenshot, you just click the Save Screenshot button, which will save it as a .png file.  Then you can post the screenshot here using the Insert Image button in the reply window toolbar.  I think you have to be at least a "Visitor" in rank on this forum to post images, so if you aren't, upload the image to a photo sharing site like Photobucket, ImageShack, Flickr, etc. and them post the link to the photo here.

19 of 28 (3,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 2:18:12 PM
(0)
Employee

sirmaru wrote:

I would suggest running it one time now when you think everything is running well. Then if you ever have problems you have a baseline to compare to the problem run. Even now you may be having problem that Realtime would expose or your set up is great. It is hard to learn how a program works when your system is acting up and you are not a happy camper. Learn to use it when things are calm.

sirmaru wrote:

I would suggest running it one time now when you think everything is running well. Then if you ever have problems you have a baseline to compare to the problem run. Even now you may be having problem that Realtime would expose or your set up is great. It is hard to learn how a program works when your system is acting up and you are not a happy camper. Learn to use it when things are calm.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

20 of 28 (3,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 4:14:47 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by sirmaru on Feb 26, 2011 at 4:40:13 PM

Joe,

I'm reading the manual now and studying it before I install Uverse Realtime.  Do the numbers in UVRT correspond to the numbers as monitored by ATT?

Specifically, will the numbers for Line Capacity and Est. Distance from the Vrad be the same from both sources?

Right now I am using the 25/2 Profile but would like to move up eventually to the 32/5 Profile.  Originally, I had been at the 32/5 profile but was having a lot of problems.  After ATT overhauled my wiring, connections, etc. they reduced me to the 25/2 profile and I've had no problems since then other than trying to get back to an error free 32/5.

You mention in your manual that 3,000 feet is the service limit. They tell me I am at 2,900 feet but their usual service limit is 3,400 feet but could extend further using their new Pair Bonding Residential Gateways.  The last ATT Customer Support person I contacted said those new RG's are being reserved only for new customers over 3,400 feet away from the Vrad.

Finally, at the WinPcap site they mention that some versions of their software are unstable and only recommend certain versions.  Does UVRT always install the latest stable version or do I have to go to their site to be sure of the proper version.

Joe,

I'm reading the manual now and studying it before I install Uverse Realtime.  Do the numbers in UVRT correspond to the numbers as monitored by ATT?

Specifically, will the numbers for Line Capacity and Est. Distance from the Vrad be the same from both sources?

Right now I am using the 25/2 Profile but would like to move up eventually to the 32/5 Profile.  Originally, I had been at the 32/5 profile but was having a lot of problems.  After ATT overhauled my wiring, connections, etc. they reduced me to the 25/2 profile and I've had no problems since then other than trying to get back to an error free 32/5.

You mention in your manual that 3,000 feet is the service limit. They tell me I am at 2,900 feet but their usual service limit is 3,400 feet but could extend further using their new Pair Bonding Residential Gateways.  The last ATT Customer Support person I contacted said those new RG's are being reserved only for new customers over 3,400 feet away from the Vrad.

Finally, at the WinPcap site they mention that some versions of their software are unstable and only recommend certain versions.  Does UVRT always install the latest stable version or do I have to go to their site to be sure of the proper version.

[ Edited ]
21 of 28 (3,122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 9:27:42 PM
(0)
Expert

The line capacity given in UVRT should match what the technician measures on his equipment.

3000 feet is the approximate service limit for a standard 2Wire router, actual service limit varies with the copper wiring in your neighborhood, gauge of the copper, age of the copper, etc.  The iNID router (i3812V gateway) extends the service limit further than this.

UVRT will install WinPCap v4.1.1 if it is not installed on your system.  I have not had any problems with this version.  If WinPCap is already installed on your computer, the UVRT installer will skip the WinPCap installation.

The line capacity given in UVRT should match what the technician measures on his equipment.

3000 feet is the approximate service limit for a standard 2Wire router, actual service limit varies with the copper wiring in your neighborhood, gauge of the copper, age of the copper, etc.  The iNID router (i3812V gateway) extends the service limit further than this.

UVRT will install WinPCap v4.1.1 if it is not installed on your system.  I have not had any problems with this version.  If WinPCap is already installed on your computer, the UVRT installer will skip the WinPCap installation.

22 of 28 (3,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2011 6:10:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

Joe,

I noticed on another Forum someone did a Restore and then could not run or uninstall UVRT the usual way from the Add/Remove Folder in the Control Panel.  Was that just an unusual event or is that a bug in UVRT and / or WinPcap?

Also, I notice in another thread in this Forum that a lot of folks are having problems with streaming videos.  Again, is that related to WinPCap and / or UVRT being installed?  Have any of those folks tried uninstalling those 2 programs to see if the problem was related to them?

Joe,

I noticed on another Forum someone did a Restore and then could not run or uninstall UVRT the usual way from the Add/Remove Folder in the Control Panel.  Was that just an unusual event or is that a bug in UVRT and / or WinPcap?

Also, I notice in another thread in this Forum that a lot of folks are having problems with streaming videos.  Again, is that related to WinPCap and / or UVRT being installed?  Have any of those folks tried uninstalling those 2 programs to see if the problem was related to them?

23 of 28 (3,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2011 7:36:25 AM
(0)
Expert

sirmaru wrote:

Joe,

That appeared to be a one-time event unique to that person's computer.  UVRT's installer is the standard Microsoft MSI installer package that is generated by Visual Studio and is used in thousands of other products.  It doesn't do anything special.

The streaming issue that people are experiencing primarily with Netflix is a network problem in AT&T's network.  Apparently they have partially fixed it for some people, but others are still having problems.  It has absolutely nothing to do with UVRT.

sirmaru wrote:

Joe,

That appeared to be a one-time event unique to that person's computer.  UVRT's installer is the standard Microsoft MSI installer package that is generated by Visual Studio and is used in thousands of other products.  It doesn't do anything special.

The streaming issue that people are experiencing primarily with Netflix is a network problem in AT&T's network.  Apparently they have partially fixed it for some people, but others are still having problems.  It has absolutely nothing to do with UVRT.

24 of 28 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2011 10:46:22 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by sirmaru on Feb 27, 2011 at 10:47:35 AM

Joe,

Your package looks superb although I still have not installed it.  What it really needs now is the blessing of ATT-Uverse.

You could license it to them and make big royalty fees.  Then, if we users detected problems, we could call ATT and they could use the data to really help us.  Right now, they don't recognize any data gleaned from UVRT.

The only purpose now would be to post our screens here but ATT-Uverse still would not be convinced of anything said here.

Right now the best use I can see for UVRT / WinPcap is to install and run it only if ATT-Uverse won't recognize a problem and will not fix it.  After the problem is solved, I think its best to keep it uninstalled to avoid compatibility problems with other software which we may be running.

Joe,

Your package looks superb although I still have not installed it.  What it really needs now is the blessing of ATT-Uverse.

You could license it to them and make big royalty fees.  Then, if we users detected problems, we could call ATT and they could use the data to really help us.  Right now, they don't recognize any data gleaned from UVRT.

The only purpose now would be to post our screens here but ATT-Uverse still would not be convinced of anything said here.

Right now the best use I can see for UVRT / WinPcap is to install and run it only if ATT-Uverse won't recognize a problem and will not fix it.  After the problem is solved, I think its best to keep it uninstalled to avoid compatibility problems with other software which we may be running.

[ Edited ]
25 of 28 (3,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2011 1:56:37 PM
(0)
Expert

AT&T is not interested in licensing the software.  They have their own tools and their techs are trained to use them.

If you don't want to install it, then don't.  Other people, including myself, have it installed and running 24/7, it does not interfere with anything else on your computer.

This line of questioning you continue to bring up is getting tiresome.  There is no problem with the software as far as interference with other things on your computer.  Either post the details of any specific problem you're having, or stop insinuating that there's an issue that doesn't exist.

AT&T is not interested in licensing the software.  They have their own tools and their techs are trained to use them.

If you don't want to install it, then don't.  Other people, including myself, have it installed and running 24/7, it does not interfere with anything else on your computer.

This line of questioning you continue to bring up is getting tiresome.  There is no problem with the software as far as interference with other things on your computer.  Either post the details of any specific problem you're having, or stop insinuating that there's an issue that doesn't exist.

26 of 28 (3,032 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2011 5:27:30 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Tifa_Shines on Jun 5, 2011 at 7:13:46 PM

Anyway this tool could be enhanced to keep stats on coax error counts?  At first glance, it seems to simply report stats stored on the gateway, similar to a Crystal Reports summarizing a database.  I'd like to see how well the coax is functioning so I can decide if I should move it back to ethernet.  

I'm also trying to prove a point to a tech that didn't listen to me about dsl retrains happening after the tornados & high winds that moved through North Texas.  I had advised the tech at one trip that the limbs seemed to have lowered and the drops had started before the rain and lightning.  Only thing happening at that time were the high winds.  He replaced the coax connector at the demarc.  When the winds whipped up two days later, the drops started again.  During one gust I saw the limbs hit the line and carry it up.  I mentioned that to the level 2 tech on the phone after placing a service call.  I also mentioned it to the same tech that came out.  I suggested the limbs needed to be cut off the line.  He called a truck out for that then proceeded to run a new phone line without clearing with me.  I didn't think much of it though so I let him.  Then was asked to sign for the work so I did.  30 minutes after he had left, I received an invoice for $55.  

I have complained but AT&T can't do anything until it shows up on my bill.  In the mean time, I hooked the coax back to the distribution point, put a cap on the open end where the dsl signal would have come in from the demarc, and found an uncut feed to my living room.  Yes, the {Keep it Courteous}, errr.. tech, cut one of my sat feed cables not knowing my gateway was in a different room.  Once I unhooked and restarted my STBs, I had service coming over the coax (HPNA) without all the ethernet traffic on my main network.  Using your tool, I haven't seen many errors on the coax but that's a small time slice.  I'd like to be able to see history but that probably means saving to CSV or adding ODBC capabilities to the tool.  Could be a source of funding that has been untapped by you and give you a value added service that people would pay extra for.  I know I would if I had something that would keep a database of what the gateway was reporting during the day.

Thoughts?

Anyway this tool could be enhanced to keep stats on coax error counts?  At first glance, it seems to simply report stats stored on the gateway, similar to a Crystal Reports summarizing a database.  I'd like to see how well the coax is functioning so I can decide if I should move it back to ethernet.  

I'm also trying to prove a point to a tech that didn't listen to me about dsl retrains happening after the tornados & high winds that moved through North Texas.  I had advised the tech at one trip that the limbs seemed to have lowered and the drops had started before the rain and lightning.  Only thing happening at that time were the high winds.  He replaced the coax connector at the demarc.  When the winds whipped up two days later, the drops started again.  During one gust I saw the limbs hit the line and carry it up.  I mentioned that to the level 2 tech on the phone after placing a service call.  I also mentioned it to the same tech that came out.  I suggested the limbs needed to be cut off the line.  He called a truck out for that then proceeded to run a new phone line without clearing with me.  I didn't think much of it though so I let him.  Then was asked to sign for the work so I did.  30 minutes after he had left, I received an invoice for $55.  

I have complained but AT&T can't do anything until it shows up on my bill.  In the mean time, I hooked the coax back to the distribution point, put a cap on the open end where the dsl signal would have come in from the demarc, and found an uncut feed to my living room.  Yes, the {Keep it Courteous}, errr.. tech, cut one of my sat feed cables not knowing my gateway was in a different room.  Once I unhooked and restarted my STBs, I had service coming over the coax (HPNA) without all the ethernet traffic on my main network.  Using your tool, I haven't seen many errors on the coax but that's a small time slice.  I'd like to be able to see history but that probably means saving to CSV or adding ODBC capabilities to the tool.  Could be a source of funding that has been untapped by you and give you a value added service that people would pay extra for.  I know I would if I had something that would keep a database of what the gateway was reporting during the day.

Thoughts?

[ Edited ]
27 of 28 (2,802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2011 8:10:28 PM
(0)
Expert

robfwtx wrote:

I'd like to be able to see history but that probably means saving to CSV or adding ODBC capabilities to the tool.  Could be a source of funding that has been untapped by you and give you a value added service that people would pay extra for.  I know I would if I had something that would keep a database of what the gateway was reporting during the day.

I have an upcoming version to be released quite soon (v1.8.0.0) that implements an Internet usage meter.  This new version implements a premium feature activation mechanism because the Internet usage meter comes in two flavors (baseline functionality = free, and premium functionality = small cost).

I intend to add other premium features to the program beyond this.  Advanced logging and reporting will be one of those premium features.  However, I must emphasize that that is a ways away right now.  Getting this version with the Internet usage meter out has been the priority.

robfwtx wrote:

I'd like to be able to see history but that probably means saving to CSV or adding ODBC capabilities to the tool.  Could be a source of funding that has been untapped by you and give you a value added service that people would pay extra for.  I know I would if I had something that would keep a database of what the gateway was reporting during the day.

I have an upcoming version to be released quite soon (v1.8.0.0) that implements an Internet usage meter.  This new version implements a premium feature activation mechanism because the Internet usage meter comes in two flavors (baseline functionality = free, and premium functionality = small cost).

I intend to add other premium features to the program beyond this.  Advanced logging and reporting will be one of those premium features.  However, I must emphasize that that is a ways away right now.  Getting this version with the Internet usage meter out has been the priority.

28 of 28 (2,790 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments