soupcxan's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Saturday, July 6th, 2013 3:03 PM

UV Realtime says no streams were detected but everything is setup

Internet on Uverse has been fine since it was installed a month ago but TV is basically unwatchable due to constant freezing, particularly in the evenings. Live in Houston, TX. I am trying to troubleshoot with UV realtime but it says "No streams were detected" no matter what I do. This was a brand new install of Uverse at this house. I have an i38HG connected to the phone jack. The VIP2250 is connected by ethernet to the i38HG as is my PC. I disabled my PC's wireless network adapter. I don't have any coax connections. UV Realtime has no problems seeing my system except for not seeing the streams. There is only one network interface listed in UV realtime's dropdown in the config tab. Can anyone help?

Screenshots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44226643@N06/sets/72157634498777269/

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

mythoughts,

I think iNID install is appropriate in his case. 55Mbps is the aggregate stats using both lines. Each line individually looks to be in the 25-30 Mbps range, and has some interference.

soupcxan,

If you're trying to use the Stream Analyzer, it must be hooked up as shown in the UV Realtime manual (Start -> All Programs -> UV Realtime -> Main Documentation) on page 34. The switch you use there must be a standard Ethernet switch, it cannot be the i38HG. The i38HG does IGMP snooping, which prevents UV Realtime from reading the stream data. You will have to use a standard Ethernet switch that's uplinked to the i38HG, and then both your computer and the VIP2250 connected to the Ethernet switch.

In all likelihood, this may reveal a problem with the twisted pair connection from the iNID to the i38HG. This link is not really meant to run STBs on. You will likely have to connect the VIP2250 to the iNID directly, either via coax or using the dedicated Ethernet port that's in the iNID.

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

11 years ago

Somejoe would need to reply as UV real time is his and not Uverse test that techs use concerning "no streams detected"

That said here are my thoughts
1) this should not be an iNID install at 2400 feet with 55 M available, if you wish may request conversion to single pair, expect tech visit of 3-6 hours depending on issues encountered.
Basically as service is established tech dispatched on repair ticket contacts one dept to close your current account, open a new account (may have issues getting your promos) as this is not done thru sales,install date will be in one to two weeks. Tech contacts another dept to get date moved up for that date. Tech contacts third dept for new assignments and verify new service signal, tech contacts yet another dept to get the new install order placed on him/her. Now tech closes his repair ticket and dispatches on install ticket proceeding to remove inid, power supply, and i38hg then installs new NID, grounds, connects home run and installs new RG at location of i38. Proceeds to register existing DVD (note: will lose all recording as tied to old account, factory reset dvr, re register HSIA, verify services. Is this worth it ? Inid should function at this shorter distance with no issues and would allow for higher future profiles.

2) issue is with wiring or environment or ports recommend if have number of install tech to see they can verify no outside line issues, if lines are clean possible flaky port(s)at vrad, additional issue radio interference (stronger from dusk to sunrise....ionosphere)

3) could request coax run to DVD to eliminate possible inside wiring issue (shielded coax vs unshielded Ethernet) due to no reported problems on internet activity.

Choice is yours, while I believe the first option is best, it is most time consuming, requiring additional contact afterwards to restore your promos, therefore best to work backwards 3, 2, 1. Hope this helps.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks Joe. I assumed the i38HG would work as the ethernet switch. So that's my problem.

Why would the ATT techs setup an STB right next to the i38HG using twisted pair if that's not a good setup? And why am I able to stream HD video over netflix, hulu, etc. without a problem but video via the STB doesn't work?

Now I am trying to get the i38HG to talk to my Belkin 4-port switch/router, but am having no luck there. The switch works, and the i38HG works, but when I connect them via an ethernet cable they won't see each other.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Streaming from the Internet is unicast and usually runs over TCP.  If errors occur, TCP can request retransmission.

IPTV on U-Verse is multicast on UDP.  There is no opportunity for retransmission, and low tolerance for delayed packets.  If there are errors, that results in picture freezes or pixelation.  IPTV using this transport method basically requires an error-free network for correct delivery.

The AT&T techs were just saving themselves some work by hooking up the 2250 like this.  It should be changed to one of the methods I stated before.

See the following post for instructions to set up your own router using the DMZPlus feature:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Ok I fixed the router issue by turning off DHCP and putting it on the same subnet as the RG. Now my PC and STB are on the same router and not using the RG as the hub. The PC is getting 6 mbps down / 1 mbps up on speedtest.com.

So now the UV realtime stream analysis says I'm getting 30-60% packet loss! That explains why the video is unwatchable...what on earth is going on?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Most likely that twisted pair HPNA link from the iNID to the i38HG has some sort of problem. You'll need to call tech support and have them send a premises tech to fix it.

You may also consider feeding the i38HG from the Ethernet port out in the iNID instead of feeding it on the twisted pair HPNA link. Normally that Ethernet port is disabled, you'll have to go into the settings of the iNID to enable it.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Do you think pulling a new set of twisted pair wires will fix it or is twisted pair just unreliable? I don't have any way to run new cables without taking the drywall down. 

I ran a coax line from the INID to the STB  and the video worked fine with no dropped packets reported in UVR. So maybe the twisted pair is bad. I went back to the ethernet/twisted pair connection and the video was not as bad, only 5% packet loss in UVR, but still hard to watch. 

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

The twisted pair should work correctly if it's correctly installed.  However, there is no way to tell if the twisted pair that's inside your walls might be damaged in some way, and if that's the case, it will always be unreliable unless it's replaced.

If coax is working, that's good ... you may want to stay with that.

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

11 years ago

The inid was designed to provide TV service over coax, late last year (September?) Changes were made in the inid software mostly in the i38hg to support wireless WAP and up to two wireless TVs. At that time some techs decided plugging other set top boxes including DVR into Ethernet ports of i38hg indoor unit, seemed to work so techs starting doing three and four box installments this way to save time and not use coax which requires ends, wall plates, coax splitters to be replaced and additional testing to pass before closing job. Great in theory but I prefer to stay with original design intent and keep hardwired TV boxes on coax. Just my thought.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

So I found out today that ATT charges $99 to come out if the problem is inside the house. I think that's pretty lame considering this probably wasn't wired correctly when it was installed, and especially if the STB isn't designed to run over HPNA.

I think I will try pulling my own cable.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.