gmsuv's profile

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

Thursday, October 18th, 2012 7:16 PM

Switching Between TV And SS

Here is my problem
Just had Uverse installed. I have a optical connection from the Uverse box to the receiver and I am able to get 5.1. When I turn off the ss I get no volume from the tv. Under the audio setup instructions for the Uverse receiver they want you to select "stereo or surround sound". I selected surround sound and the only sound will come out is if I have the ss on. What I want is to have the sound come out of the tv when the tv is on and have 5.1 when the ss is on.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

gmsuv -
Looked at the user manual - On page 50 is the option to change the (digital) default sound setting for an HDMI connection to one of the four analog inputs.

Connect the red/white RCA jacks on the STB to theTV input you select/specify in the option setting.

Here is copy/paste of the user manual description -

HDMI 1-4 in Digital/
Component/
Video
The default setting is “Digital” for the HDMI connection. (Digital
input signal)
Select audio input terminal when DVI cable is connected.
(Analog audio input signal)

I am interpreting your problem to be you want to leave the STB on surround and still be able to hear TV audio when the receiver is not on. To use the rereceiver for surround you would have to mute or turn down volume on the TV.

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the help. It worked just as your instructions said.

Thank Again.

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

gmsuv - Glad I could help. Thanks for closure that it is a solution.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

Just a few questions:

1. What model is your Uverse STB?

2. How is your TV connected to the STB? (HDMI, Component, etc.)

EDIT: Your most likely solution is to connect two audio cables (the red/white RCA cables) from the back of your UVerse box to the back of your TV but there might be a more elegant solution is why I'm asking the questions.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

gmsuv - What you are describing does appear to be a deficiency in the design of the U-verse system.

Since the TV cannot decode 5.1 it does not have any sound. The TV should feed this back to the STB on the HDMI link & it should send stereo sound. But, it does not.

The seperate sound feed sounds good, but your TV may need to have that option. My panasonic allows me to choose digital (HDMI) or analog (RCA jacks) sound for the HDMI feed.

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

11 years ago

What I have is a JVC 5060 receiver.  The optical cable comes out of the Uverse receiver  and connects to the AV receiver.  In the setup for Uverse it asked, "stereo or surround sound" and if you hear sound.  When I selected surround sound it disabled the speakers.  The only way I can get surround sound is to turn down the volume on the tv, turn on the AV and have PCM sound.  I did try to connect red/white audio cable from the Uverse box to the tv and it did not make any difference.  I have a Panasonic LED 47" tv.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

gmsuv - What is the model number of the TV?

I looked up the manual for TC-L47WT50 & it showed an HDMI in option to open up the anlog sound input on page 33. It would not copy/paste. 

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for helping.  My tv is a: TC-L47E 5

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.