mcooper11's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Saturday, February 2nd, 2013 8:48 PM

Suggestion for wireless receiver please

We mounted our TV above the fireplace.  The AT&T wireless receiver is connected in a nearby closet. The previous owners had a pre-existing Niles MSU-250 wireless transmitter but after spending hours talking to both AT&T and Niles Tech Support, I have given up on this unit working.

Looking for advice on what everyone in my situation (TV mounted, cable box somewhere else) has used for a wireless receiver?  I was told today at the AT&T store that I can call their 800 number and they may have one but I'd rather get advice from you, the AT&T customer experts.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

mcooper11 - Guess it is best described as a black remote with added features.

The feature for your case is an RF dongle. The dongle plugs in to the USB port on the STB. The remote communicates with the dongle via RF. The dongle generates IR to control the STB.

Additional features - the remote and dongle can be paired with a code, so you can have multiple pairs in the house.

The remote can learn IR from other device remotes - good if you have a device not supported with standard codes.

Possible problem areas - Poor RF power - If it is not working well - hold the emote vertically, touching your chin while pushing the button, using your head as an antenna.

Still IR corruption sensitive. STB must be hidden (Which you will have)

It does work most of the time. It is a compromise design to use existing technology. The wi-fi control via IOS device is much more effective to the STB, but there is not yet a version that supports other IR devices.

The point anywhere remote is a reasonable interim solution. I have used one since Nov, 09 for my second set in the room - look at my avatar. The ipad app now allows me to also control the DVR connected to the small Sharp on the bottom left. I could have used another RF remote, but did not want to spend for it.

Don;t hesitate to ask more questions. That is how I learn.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

mcooper11 - The best solution for controlling a hidden STB is The u-verse app for iphone v2.6.

You can put it on an iphone, ipad or ipod touch. Look on apple store for refurb ipod touch as least expensive to buy.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks Ace!  Any other ideas from people mounting their TV?

Thanks!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

mcooper11 - There are certainly other options for you. Every one has advantages & disadvantages. All depends on your specific needs and what you want to spend.

The U-verse app I recommended uses the "method of the future" Direct wi-fi access. Also, it is free if you already have an IOS device.

Its disadvantage is that it is not now a combined STB/TV remote. And, it cannot put the STB to sleep. Hopefully, that will change soon,

The roomie remote opens the door to the same "future" method but includes IR support. Perhaps you could use it in the IR mode until they make direct Wi-fi access for U-verse,

See this trail - http://forums.att.com/t5/Receivers-Battery-Backup/Uverse-remote-can-t-control-Sony-blu-ray-BDP-BX1/m-p/3419377#M57061

att needs to offer a remote that includes the wi-fi method for u-verse and IR for other devices.

Logitech has some products that can do what you want via IR.

Maybe the simplest solution is to find an inconspicuous location for the STB that still has a line of site to the remote. OR, how about the point anywhere remote (if thety are currently available. I have had one for a few years. It works most of the time.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks again Ace!  Yesterday, I did try out the app and it works.  Like you said, only disadvantage is that you can't turn it off.  But I will go over those other options as well.  Thank you so, so much!

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Sorry to bug again!

I just took a look at the Point Anywhere remote on AT&T's site.  Do you know if it is the same thing as the standard black remote I got during installation a few weeks ago?  The remote looks identical but the model # is different so this one could truly be more powerful.

Just wanted to check before buying.  Thanks again!!

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you again!  It certainly is worth a shot as opposed to paying a ton of money for someone to come install a new wireless transmitter.

Thanks again!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

mcooper11 - I think the buddy TV app was the first one available for IP remote control. For some reason, I never looked at it. Just did look at it.

the remote portion has the same functionality as the att U-verse app for iphone (v2.6). The difference is it is a picture of the silver remote that half fits on the screen.. You expose the buttons you need by scrolling.. The att version is a nice presentation on two separate screens. You page between the two.

You may want to try the Buddy TV app.

For those looking for an android version - It does appear that there is an Android version availalable - http://www.buddytv.com/buddytv-guide.aspx

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

As I say in post seven above, I am lukewarm on the point anywhere remote. LIke so many U-verse features, it sort of works.

I, also, offered the idea that one could use ones head for an antenna. First heard of that with car door openers.

I just remembered the little printed circuit antenna I got free with a replacement battery for my cell phone. Never could tell if it did anything for the cell phone.

As I was placing it in the battery compartment I was thinking - This is silly. How could this work. At least, with the cell phone it is near the antenna.

Surprise ! Every button push works every time, no matter how the remote is held or pointed. This is the way remotes are supposed to work. Awesome!

If you are having trouble with the point anywhere remote give it try.

Here is a link to show what it is http://www.amazon.com/Cellular-Innovations-A-BOOSTER-Universal-Antenna/dp/B00009WCAP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361203116&sr=8-1&keywords=cell+phone+antenna+booster
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.