beaulanger's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Monday, February 14th, 2011 1:12 AM

Remote programming problems

CISCO U-Verse IPN4300MC STB with silver remote.

New Sony Bravia 46" LCD KDL-46EX400, remote RM-YD035. HDMI 1.

New LG BD570 Blu-Ray wi-fi player, remote AKB72975301. HDMI 2.

I've spent many weeks trying to get these devices to work together with one remote, not three. I've called U-Verse support several times and they finally said the U-verse remote will not work controlling both my TV and DVD-BD together after working on it. I bougt two different Logitech Harmony remotes, first a 300 and then a 650, and finally a Sony Universal Remote. I've spent days and many hours trying to solve this probem with these remotes. Their support teams say they don't have a solution so I have come here and hope you can help me. All sources have tried different codes and procedures without success. All three remotes were returned to the store

I will outline the problems using the U-Verse remote as they are similar to using the universal remotes:

The TV power button turns on the STB and the TV together most times, unless they were shut down previously with a problem such as switch failure. If not I have to use the Sony TV remote and use the imput button to change from "TV" or HDMI 2 (Blu-Ray) to HDMI 1 (TV). The U-verse remote will not change the HDMI imput.

If I turn on the programmed DVD-BD with the "DVD" and "Power" buttons together the player works and displays correctly on screen. The player can also be turned off with the "DVD" and "Power" buttons on the remote. The blank screen then shows HDMI 2, or maybe "TV" (not HDMI 1). The "AT&T" and "TV" buttons do not switch back to HDMI 1 or the STB. Again I have to use the TV remote to change the imput.

To operate the DVD-BD I have to use it's own LG remote to operate NetFlix, YouTube, etc. as the U-Verse remote is lacking certian buttons like "return". "Back" (and maybe "Exit to") don't work with the apps. on the U-verse remote.

So the sequence to watch Blu-Ray is:

"Power" U-Verse remote to turn on TV and STB together.

"DVD" + "Power" U-Verse remote to turn on player, or use player remote "Power".

Switch to player remote to operate BD functions.

Turn off with either BD or U-verse remote.

Grab TV remote, select "Imput" and select HDMI 1 to watch TV.

I've been told by all the sources (AT&T, LG, Logitech, and Sony) nothing will eliminate using all three remotes as they have tried all codes and work-arounds. As mentioned all remotes have been programmed with numerous codes. It's a juggling act and my wife says she can not watch TV or operate anything and to get rid of U-Verse or take the equipment back.

I'm not super-techie so if anyone has a working sollution please pass it on. I'm desperate. I've done a lot of searching here and in other areas. Thanks very much.

Beau

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Here is  little more info based on "From what you are saying I will have to power off the TV and not the STB to watch DVD which will turn the TV back on, right?" -

The watch TV activity turns on the TV and sets it to the correct input(HDMI1), turns on the STB. You can also send an OK just in case & set it to your favorite channel. All this with one button. When you turn it off it turns off both the TV and STB. All the buttons control either the TV or the STB as you designate(program).

The watch DVD activity turns on the TV and sets it to the correct input(HDMI2), turns on the blue ray. When you turn it off it turns off both the TV and blue ray. All the buttons control either the TV or the blue ray as you designate(program).

So when you initiate an activity you operate in that universe until you turn it off or go into device mode.

You can press the device button and then control the TV or the STB or the blue ray or other devices in your house. The buttons can be the same or different definition as in the acivity mode. I like them the same for consistency, but if you need more flexibility they can be different.

Since the devices are all supported by logitech they should directly program. But, if some button are missing the can be learned from the device remote.

It is good you took the 650 back because it did not work for you. Look at both the 650 and 700. The 700 is regargeable. I believe you will have a short period(30 days) to get free support from Logitech.

I will be happy you try to help you with questions. We can probaly set something up that I can talk you through the programing. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

I read your post to say that your primary problem is turning on the right combination of components for each activity. I can see that this is not possible with the U-verse remote because it is designed for one activity (watch TV), with added ability to control some specific functions on some other devices.

I am not familiar with the Sony, but I suspect it is similar to the U-verse.

Also, the Harmony 300 is designed to program only one activity - watch TV  - just like the the others.

However, the Harmony 650 is designed for multiple activities, just like the Harmony 700, which I have but use only the TV activity.

I believe the Harmony 650 has up to 5 activities. You can program the steps you describe for each of the basic activites ( watch TV - watch DVD). You also can access the individual actions for each device outside the activity.

So if you want to watch TV you initiate that activity and it does all those steps. When watching TV, you want to watch blue ray - first power down - then press watch DVD & it will do all those steps. Of course, you need to one-time program these activities into the remote via your computer.

At any time you can control any  device directly, but when you are done you should go back to where you stared - either activity or off.

Based on my experience with Logitech support, I am surprized that they could not help you with this. They are great. Try again. The key is to understand the difference between ACTIVITY and direct Device control.

The only possible glitch is ithe activity start up is multistep (as you know from your problem description) so if the sequence is interrupted (for whatever reason) you do not execute all the steps. When this happens you can press the HELP button & it will prompt you through the steps - or you can press the appropriate buttons if it is obvious what needs to be done.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you for you reply and advice. The "activity" and "direct device control" thingies make some sense now.

Perhaps I'll give the Harmony 650 with its multiple activities another try. I forget what the programming problems were when  I took it back but I need to study it more. I feel guilty taking things back to the store when there is nothing wrong with them.

From what you are saying I will have to power off the TV and not the STB to watch DVD which will turn the TV back on, right?

I really appreciate your help. Sorry I was so long winded and confusing with my questions. I'll get back to this thread in a couple of days and let you how I made out.  

Beau

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks again. I've not gotten around to buying another universal remote but will and get back to you if I have problems. Appreciate everything.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

Just  wanted to add I have a new Harmony 650 and it is working great. Downloading the software instead of configuring online was much better. Smiley Happy

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

Enjoy

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

New price points on Logitech Harmony remotes -
When posts are indicating problems getting U-verse remote to work with other devices I have been suggesting the Logitech Harmony 300 remote because it was the least expensive Harmony remote at $40 (on sale for $30 at Radio Shack)

Looks like the $30 price is now the regular price at Radio Shack and they have a new 200 model for $20.

The 200 model supports up to three devices (TV, STB & one other) If you need four devices you have to go for the 300.

The 200 & 300 are similar in layout to the U-verse remote and are programmed via the web specifically for your device make and model.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.