Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 22, 2011
10:57:11 AM
View profile
Recording Space

We had a DVR go bad on us and got a new one today.  I went to look at "Recording Space" on it (I never did this on my old box), and it said it had 16 hours of HD and like 44 hours of SD left.  That can't possibly be right, can it?  U-verse advertises they have like 2 or 4 times the space as DirectTV, and my DirectTV DVR got like 50 hours of HD.  Is this number just wildly off because it's empty, is there something wrong with this box, or is that REALLY all the recording time we get?

We had a DVR go bad on us and got a new one today.  I went to look at "Recording Space" on it (I never did this on my old box), and it said it had 16 hours of HD and like 44 hours of SD left.  That can't possibly be right, can it?  U-verse advertises they have like 2 or 4 times the space as DirectTV, and my DirectTV DVR got like 50 hours of HD.  Is this number just wildly off because it's empty, is there something wrong with this box, or is that REALLY all the recording time we get?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 22, 2011 11:08:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Perform a "disaster recovery"  to recover all of the space on the DVR as follows:

1. Unplug the DVR

2. Hold down the OK and Down Arrow buttons

3. While still holding down the buttons, plug the DVR back in.

4. Release the buttons

The gears will appear on the screen and the software will be reloaded.  It will take several minutes to complete.

Please not that this process will delete any recordings that you have on the DVR.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Recording Space

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 22, 2011 11:08:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Perform a "disaster recovery"  to recover all of the space on the DVR as follows:

1. Unplug the DVR

4. Release the buttons

The gears will appear on the screen and the software will be reloaded.  It will take several minutes to complete.

Please not that this process will delete any recordings that you have on the DVR.

1. Unplug the DVR

4. Release the buttons

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Recording Space

2 of 18 (2,101 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2011 11:30:38 AM
(0)
Scholar

I'm not clear why I want to do this. Granted I don't have much on there right now, but what is the point of all this?

I'm not clear why I want to do this. Granted I don't have much on there right now, but what is the point of all this?

3 of 18 (2,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2011 11:39:21 AM
(0)
Scholar

Ok, I figured it would be silly to wait for more stuff to record before doing this so went ahead and performed those steps.  It's still saying 16 hours of HD recording.

If there's a problem with THIS box, I'd like to call at get it swapped out AGAIN before I lose too many more shows.  I've been without a DVR since Sunday.

Ok, I figured it would be silly to wait for more stuff to record before doing this so went ahead and performed those steps.  It's still saying 16 hours of HD recording.

If there's a problem with THIS box, I'd like to call at get it swapped out AGAIN before I lose too many more shows.  I've been without a DVR since Sunday.

4 of 18 (2,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2011 11:42:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Did it erase the shows that you added? If not try it again. Maybe you should try a few times til it works.
Did it erase the shows that you added? If not try it again. Maybe you should try a few times til it works.

5 of 18 (2,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2011 11:48:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Girevik wrote:

Did you see the gears appear?  If not, the disaster recovery process did not occur.  Try the steps again.

Girevik wrote:

Did you see the gears appear?  If not, the disaster recovery process did not occur.  Try the steps again.

6 of 18 (2,095 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2011 11:50:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Girevik wrote:

The point is to recover the full recording capacity of your DVR.  Sometimes what you see occurs.  The disaster recovery process will correct this.

Girevik wrote:

The point is to recover the full recording capacity of your DVR.  Sometimes what you see occurs.  The disaster recovery process will correct this.

7 of 18 (2,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2011 11:52:38 AM
(0)
Scholar

I didn't look for the gears, but it did delete the shows that were on there.

I didn't look for the gears, but it did delete the shows that were on there.

8 of 18 (2,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2011 11:53:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Please try the steps again, and look for the gears to appear.

Please try the steps again, and look for the gears to appear.

9 of 18 (2,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2011 12:00:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

I've tried it twice and I'm not seeing what I would consider "gears".  I'm seeing three white dots in varying shades of white to grey.  How long should I hold the buttons in after I pug it back in?

I've tried it twice and I'm not seeing what I would consider "gears".  I'm seeing three white dots in varying shades of white to grey.  How long should I hold the buttons in after I pug it back in?

10 of 18 (2,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2011 12:03:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Continue to hold the buttons for 5 or 10 seconds before you release them after you plug the box back in.  You should first see the picture of a gear on the screen instead of the 3 white dots.

Continue to hold the buttons for 5 or 10 seconds before you release them after you plug the box back in.  You should first see the picture of a gear on the screen instead of the 3 white dots.

11 of 18 (1,858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2011 12:16:48 PM
(0)
Scholar

Ok, I finally got it.  That seemed to do it.  Up to 80 hours of HD time.  Not twice what I had on DirectTv, but more anyway.  Thanks for the help!

Ok, I finally got it.  That seemed to do it.  Up to 80 hours of HD time.  Not twice what I had on DirectTv, but more anyway.  Thanks for the help!

12 of 18 (1,854 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2011 12:18:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

BTW - I spoke to a support guy who said he was in Texas last night.  Any chance it's the same one?

BTW - I spoke to a support guy who said he was in Texas last night.  Any chance it's the same one?

13 of 18 (1,851 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2011 12:18:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Good deal!  

How much recording space did you have with DirecTV?

Good deal!  

How much recording space did you have with DirecTV?

14 of 18 (1,850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2011 12:18:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I believe the OK and down arrow buttons are the ones on the DVR - not the ones on the remote. Or, do those work, too?

I wonder how one person can do all this at once.
I believe the OK and down arrow buttons are the ones on the DVR - not the ones on the remote. Or, do those work, too?

15 of 18 (1,848 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2011 12:24:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

aviewer wrote:

The buttons are on the DVR not the remote.  

It can be done!  I have done it a few times myselft.  It works!

aviewer wrote:

The buttons are on the DVR not the remote.  

It can be done!  I have done it a few times myselft.  It works!

16 of 18 (1,845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2012 9:42:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks!  Stumbled across this with over "90%" of recording space used, and family getting irritated with each other.  After this, only have 10% actually used.   Saved some headaches.

Thanks!  Stumbled across this with over "90%" of recording space used, and family getting irritated with each other.  After this, only have 10% actually used.   Saved some headaches.

17 of 18 (1,565 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2012 5:30:29 AM
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

18 of 18 (1,543 Views)