For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Girevik's profile

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

Friday, July 22nd, 2011 5:57 PM

Closed

Recording Space

We had a DVR go bad on us and got a new one today.  I went to look at "Recording Space" on it (I never did this on my old box), and it said it had 16 hours of HD and like 44 hours of SD left.  That can't possibly be right, can it?  U-verse advertises they have like 2 or 4 times the space as DirectTV, and my DirectTV DVR got like 50 hours of HD.  Is this number just wildly off because it's empty, is there something wrong with this box, or is that REALLY all the recording time we get?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Perform a "disaster recovery"  to recover all of the space on the DVR as follows:

1. Unplug the DVR

2. Hold down the OK and Down Arrow buttons

3. While still holding down the buttons, plug the DVR back in.

4. Release the buttons

The gears will appear on the screen and the software will be reloaded.  It will take several minutes to complete.

Please not that this process will delete any recordings that you have on the DVR.

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

13 years ago

I'm not clear why I want to do this. Granted I don't have much on there right now, but what is the point of all this?

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

13 years ago

Ok, I figured it would be silly to wait for more stuff to record before doing this so went ahead and performed those steps.  It's still saying 16 hours of HD recording.

If there's a problem with THIS box, I'd like to call at get it swapped out AGAIN before I lose too many more shows.  I've been without a DVR since Sunday.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Did it erase the shows that you added? If not try it again. Maybe you should try a few times til it works.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@Girevik wrote:

Ok, I figured it would be silly to wait for more stuff to record before doing this so went ahead and performed those steps.  It's still saying 16 hours of HD recording.

If there's a problem with THIS box, I'd like to call at get it swapped out AGAIN before I lose too many more shows.  I've been without a DVR since Sunday.

Did you see the gears appear?  If not, the disaster recovery process did not occur.  Try the steps again.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@Girevik wrote:

I'm not clear why I want to do this. Granted I don't have much on there right now, but what is the point of all this?

The point is to recover the full recording capacity of your DVR.  Sometimes what you see occurs.  The disaster recovery process will correct this.

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

13 years ago

I didn't look for the gears, but it did delete the shows that were on there.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Please try the steps again, and look for the gears to appear.

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

13 years ago

I've tried it twice and I'm not seeing what I would consider "gears".  I'm seeing three white dots in varying shades of white to grey.  How long should I hold the buttons in after I pug it back in?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Continue to hold the buttons for 5 or 10 seconds before you release them after you plug the box back in.  You should first see the picture of a gear on the screen instead of the 3 white dots.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.