Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 1, 2011
9:22:32 AM
View profile
Our VIP2250 DVR has seizures.

Last week we received a replacement (VIP 2250) for our failed dvr (VIP 1225), which will crash on random mornings always during 10:20 - 10:30 AM. Yes, this is real DVR behavior!  Today automatically it rebooted itself, usually I have to pull the plug.

Do the other 2250 DVR run hot even though there is plenty ventilation of space around the unit?

The VIP2250 models *still* use WIndows CE 5, this OS is so old it has moss growing on its back! And maybe it's too expensive to have use of version 6.

DVR Manufacture date September 2011

TV2 Client: 2.0.26496.22

UI: 5.3.2

Last week we received a replacement (VIP 2250) for our failed dvr (VIP 1225), which will crash on random mornings always during 10:20 - 10:30 AM. Yes, this is real DVR behavior!  Today automatically it rebooted itself, usually I have to pull the plug.

Do the other 2250 DVR run hot even though there is plenty ventilation of space around the unit?

The VIP2250 models *still* use WIndows CE 5, this OS is so old it has moss growing on its back! And maybe it's too expensive to have use of version 6.

DVR Manufacture date September 2011

TV2 Client: 2.0.26496.22

UI: 5.3.2

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 19, 2011 8:01:58 AM
(0)
Scholar

I installed the other new replacement VIP2250 which was sent out, Thursday a tech came to check everything because we had also experienced a strange gateway problem (also not imagined) so He replaced the RG.

The Tech also thought that the VIP2250 might be having problems with HDMI compatibility with our TV* and swapped room locations with an existing VIP1200 - looks good, works well...

The black remotes are better, we don't have to do IR reflection tricks to turn on the TV.  Smiley Happy

*(I have read other posts here and believe it to be an HDCP authentication problem.)

Accepted Solution

Our VIP2250 DVR has seizures.

44 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(44)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2011 9:32:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I say call ts and let them know what happened, again.  You are paying for the service and you should get your money's worth.  This is a drag but it beats not getting satisfaction...

...eventually. 

IMHO

I say call ts and let them know what happened, again.  You are paying for the service and you should get your money's worth.  This is a drag but it beats not getting satisfaction...

...eventually. 

IMHO

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Our VIP2250 DVR has seizures.

2 of 45 (5,909 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2011 9:54:40 AM
(0)
Scholar

I want to know if somebody else has had that happen...

also the harddrive is installed label side down, probably right on top of the cpu.  Robot Very Happy

I want to know if somebody else has had that happen...

also the harddrive is installed label side down, probably right on top of the cpu.  Robot Very Happy

3 of 45 (5,902 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2011 12:11:53 PM
(0)
Professor
Ones, how are you measuring the air temp? As for WinCE 5.x, it works, so no reason to go any further with it. Microsoft is supporting CE 5.x until 2014, so unless you know more than the engineers at ATT & Microsoft that know that this platform works, I am not going any further.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"
Ones, how are you measuring the air temp? As for WinCE 5.x, it works, so no reason to go any further with it. Microsoft is supporting CE 5.x until 2014, so unless you know more than the engineers at ATT & Microsoft that know that this platform works, I am not going any further.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

4 of 45 (5,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 10:04:36 AM
(0)
Scholar

I'm been a bit busy lately, today and will post a reply with more detail later today.

I'm been a bit busy lately, today and will post a reply with more detail later today.

5 of 45 (5,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 12:12:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

When you had the VIP2250 installed, were the recorded programs transferred to the new hard disc?  Or did you lose all of the recordings, never to be able to see them because they took away the old VIP1225?

Also, I called today to get the VIP2250 and after 20 minutes taking the order, giving them the serial # of the VIP1225 and so forth, I was told there are no VIP2250 DVRs on the U-verse system so they cannot provided one to me.

What steps did you take to receive the VIP2250?

When you had the VIP2250 installed, were the recorded programs transferred to the new hard disc?  Or did you lose all of the recordings, never to be able to see them because they took away the old VIP1225?

Also, I called today to get the VIP2250 and after 20 minutes taking the order, giving them the serial # of the VIP1225 and so forth, I was told there are no VIP2250 DVRs on the U-verse system so they cannot provided one to me.

What steps did you take to receive the VIP2250?

6 of 45 (5,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 2:44:46 PM
(0)
Professor
dvrjunkie, recordings do not transfer across devices. Only the schedule, which is kept up in the cloud, would show, once you activate the new device.

7 of 45 (5,808 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 2:45:42 PM
(0)
Scholar

The hardrive had begun to fail and it erased everything; No, old recordings aren't transferred to new DVRs.

I fully expected to get a VIP1225 replacement unit - AT&T sent the new model of their volition.

The hardrive had begun to fail and it erased everything; No, old recordings aren't transferred to new DVRs.

I fully expected to get a VIP1225 replacement unit - AT&T sent the new model of their volition.

8 of 45 (5,808 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 3:18:49 PM
(0)
Scholar

gregzoll_1 wrote:

Second generation (non mercury) thermometer; Ambient morning air temp 74 degrees low humidity, 85 degrees on the top center of the dvr, the top left of the front panel is hot, and the bottom feels like it's over 100 (I don't have a flat probe or laser thermometer).

With the hard drive label side down it's just radiating heat down on the main board.

Can anybody confirm, that label side down installation is the new normal with these DVRs?

Observation:

The rubber "feet" on these units are just to keep the device from sliding all over creation, not much air could flow underneath unless it's forced.

---

It didn't lock up today, I recorded the NBC Today show while watching 'The Doctors".
I watch 'The Doctors' HD channel 1021 (KTXA Texas station)

usually a cause:

The TV2 Client version 2 for the VIP1225 DVR is buggy software, on the 2250 less so - the hardware is better able to cope with real time software demands and some bugs were fixed...

When it does lockup, some 'zombie' threads are still pulling data through the Gateway.

Speculative causalities:
1) Heap, stack, and buffer overflows

2) unchecked buffers, inputs

3) self modifying code that fails

4) a thread or process causing other exceptions

5) is the CE version of .NET involved

6) obtuse side effects of HDCP authentication problems

7) other

facts:
The Gateway is up-to-date with it's firmware and incoming data is good.

I don't have another HDMI cable (plausible cheap cable induced problems) nor a voltmeter to test for outlet undervoltage.

---

comment about Windows CE:

As for Windows CE 5, yes it works and stable; It's continued use is to lower costs of product development, maintenance and stability across VIP12xx, 22xx series (Motorola manufactured) boxes, and AT&T paying for extended maintenance bug fixes may be cheaper.

Converting and standardizing on version 6 is expensive.

gregzoll_1 wrote:

Second generation (non mercury) thermometer; Ambient morning air temp 74 degrees low humidity, 85 degrees on the top center of the dvr, the top left of the front panel is hot, and the bottom feels like it's over 100 (I don't have a flat probe or laser thermometer).

With the hard drive label side down it's just radiating heat down on the main board.

Can anybody confirm, that label side down installation is the new normal with these DVRs?

Observation:

The rubber "feet" on these units are just to keep the device from sliding all over creation, not much air could flow underneath unless it's forced.

---

It didn't lock up today, I recorded the NBC Today show while watching 'The Doctors".
I watch 'The Doctors' HD channel 1021 (KTXA Texas station)

usually a cause:

The TV2 Client version 2 for the VIP1225 DVR is buggy software, on the 2250 less so - the hardware is better able to cope with real time software demands and some bugs were fixed...

When it does lockup, some 'zombie' threads are still pulling data through the Gateway.

Speculative causalities:
1) Heap, stack, and buffer overflows

2) unchecked buffers, inputs

3) self modifying code that fails

4) a thread or process causing other exceptions

5) is the CE version of .NET involved

6) obtuse side effects of HDCP authentication problems

7) other

facts:
The Gateway is up-to-date with it's firmware and incoming data is good.

I don't have another HDMI cable (plausible cheap cable induced problems) nor a voltmeter to test for outlet undervoltage.

---

comment about Windows CE:

As for Windows CE 5, yes it works and stable; It's continued use is to lower costs of product development, maintenance and stability across VIP12xx, 22xx series (Motorola manufactured) boxes, and AT&T paying for extended maintenance bug fixes may be cheaper.

Converting and standardizing on version 6 is expensive.

9 of 45 (5,802 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 9:11:01 AM
(0)
Professor
Ones, using a mercury bulb thermometer is only going to measure ambient air temp. Any electronic device is going to be warm, hard drives more, due to they are mechanical devices, and friction of the discs spinning in air causes heat. Until manufacturers start moving to SSD, they will continue to use mechanical hard drives, due to cheaper costs.

Ones, using a mercury bulb thermometer is only going to measure ambient air temp. Any electronic device is going to be warm, hard drives more, due to they are mechanical devices, and friction of the discs spinning in air causes heat. Until manufacturers start moving to SSD, they will continue to use mechanical hard drives, due to cheaper costs.

10 of 45 (5,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 11:45:19 AM
(0)
Scholar

Greg, I'm unsure if you believe I'm that uneducated, you seem to think that is so.

If any more problems occur, I wouldn't seek help or advice from you. Let's just avoid each other...

Have a good day.

Greg, I'm unsure if you believe I'm that uneducated, you seem to think that is so.

If any more problems occur, I wouldn't seek help or advice from you. Let's just avoid each other...

Have a good day.

11 of 45 (14,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 11:47:01 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

Hello everyone, let's remember to stay on topic and always keep it nice.  We are here to help each other.   Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hello everyone, let's remember to stay on topic and always keep it nice.  We are here to help each other.   Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

12 of 45 (14,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 12:54:22 PM
(0)
Professor

Ones wrote:

Have a good day.

Really need to inform everyone what you are talking about.  Personally I take it that you are just venting about something that can be placed in a personal blog.  Unless there is something worthwhile about the equipment or the service, really I do not see your point.

Ones wrote:

Have a good day.

Really need to inform everyone what you are talking about.  Personally I take it that you are just venting about something that can be placed in a personal blog.  Unless there is something worthwhile about the equipment or the service, really I do not see your point.

13 of 45 (14,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 2:28:52 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Ones on Nov 4, 2011 at 2:51:31 PM

Ok, not only some venting; it's a real problem therefore it doesn't belong on some personal blog.  Other forum visitors vent and explain their real existing problems with the threads they've started and have had them solved.

Other than the weird behavior and heat, I do appreciate new dvr; who would want to go back to using a VIP1225 DVR?

I'm getting some extra feet to put under this device so it can cool down.

(I'm done.)

Ok, not only some venting; it's a real problem therefore it doesn't belong on some personal blog.  Other forum visitors vent and explain their real existing problems with the threads they've started and have had them solved.

Other than the weird behavior and heat, I do appreciate new dvr; who would want to go back to using a VIP1225 DVR?

I'm getting some extra feet to put under this device so it can cool down.

(I'm done.)

[ Edited ]
14 of 45 (14,322 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 19, 2011 8:01:58 AM
(0)
Scholar

I installed the other new replacement VIP2250 which was sent out, Thursday a tech came to check everything because we had also experienced a strange gateway problem (also not imagined) so He replaced the RG.

The Tech also thought that the VIP2250 might be having problems with HDMI compatibility with our TV* and swapped room locations with an existing VIP1200 - looks good, works well...

The black remotes are better, we don't have to do IR reflection tricks to turn on the TV.  Smiley Happy

*(I have read other posts here and believe it to be an HDCP authentication problem.)

15 of 45 (5,129 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2011 11:46:01 AM
(0)
Contributor
Yes mine has been freezing up ever since I received it three weeks ago. At least three times a day. I bought a 8" fan for it but it still locks up. At&t needs to fix this problem before I go back to Direct TV.
Yes mine has been freezing up ever since I received it three weeks ago. At least three times a day. I bought a 8" fan for it but it still locks up. At&t needs to fix this problem before I go back to Direct TV.

16 of 45 (5,064 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2011 8:19:52 PM
(0)
Scholar

Are you getting a blue screen, with rebooting?

If plausible try using component video cables.

Are you getting a blue screen, with rebooting?

If plausible try using component video cables.

17 of 45 (5,048 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 12:01:03 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Petruk on Dec 6, 2011 at 12:03:28 AM

I had a VIP 2250 (replacing VIP 1225) that did basically the same thing. TV would shut down (power light still on), power light on DVR blinking. DVR would reboot itself.  Call CS, tech was sent out and replaced VIP 2250 with VIP 1225.  Tech said they don't carry the 2250.  He also told me that all the replacement boxes are refurbished.  No more new ones.  That's in may area anyway.   I don't care what model I have to use, as long as it works properly. 

I had a VIP 2250 (replacing VIP 1225) that did basically the same thing. TV would shut down (power light still on), power light on DVR blinking. DVR would reboot itself.  Call CS, tech was sent out and replaced VIP 2250 with VIP 1225.  Tech said they don't carry the 2250.  He also told me that all the replacement boxes are refurbished.  No more new ones.  That's in may area anyway.   I don't care what model I have to use, as long as it works properly. 

[ Edited ]
18 of 45 (5,043 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 12:43:44 PM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T also replaced my corrupted 1225 DVR with a (what appears to be a new) 2250 replacement.  This 2250 has froze at least once a day.  Basically the screen would go black and not respond to any remote input.  I have to reset the DVR each time. 

And it also appears the stuttering and pauses in programs are appearing again.  Before the 1225 had crashed, this had all but disappeared.  Not really too happy with the U-verse TV service right now, and thinking about switching to DirecTV if this doesn't clear up.

AT&T also replaced my corrupted 1225 DVR with a (what appears to be a new) 2250 replacement.  This 2250 has froze at least once a day.  Basically the screen would go black and not respond to any remote input.  I have to reset the DVR each time. 

And it also appears the stuttering and pauses in programs are appearing again.  Before the 1225 had crashed, this had all but disappeared.  Not really too happy with the U-verse TV service right now, and thinking about switching to DirecTV if this doesn't clear up.

19 of 45 (5,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 7:58:01 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Ones on Dec 6, 2011 at 8:05:24 PM

Has the VIP1225 DVR you are using now been stable? you can PM me if this thread gets closed.

Has the VIP1225 DVR you are using now been stable? you can PM me if this thread gets closed.

[ Edited ]
20 of 45 (5,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2011 8:47:55 PM
(0)
Scholar

Please forgive me if you've read this before...

Easy fix

1) What kind of TV do you own? What connection are you using? The more information about TV and connection types could help to ascertain if it's an HDCP authentication problem.

Possible truck roll.

2) Also it reads as though you should start an new thread in 'residential gateway'

Using UV Realtime installed on a PC to analyze the statistics coming from your gateway. You can then post images captured from the IP/Profile, Error Table, Bitloading, Coax/HPNA tabs. You can use it with wireless network connection.

http://www.uvrealtime.com/

"And there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth..."

2) Your hard drive maybe failing... and I'm not sure you'd want to do a disaster recovery reset with your DVR.

I'm not employed by AT&T.

Please forgive me if you've read this before...

Easy fix

1) What kind of TV do you own? What connection are you using? The more information about TV and connection types could help to ascertain if it's an HDCP authentication problem.

Possible truck roll.

2) Also it reads as though you should start an new thread in 'residential gateway'

Using UV Realtime installed on a PC to analyze the statistics coming from your gateway. You can then post images captured from the IP/Profile, Error Table, Bitloading, Coax/HPNA tabs. You can use it with wireless network connection.

http://www.uvrealtime.com/

"And there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth..."

2) Your hard drive maybe failing... and I'm not sure you'd want to do a disaster recovery reset with your DVR.

I'm not employed by AT&T.

21 of 45 (5,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2011 8:27:03 PM
(0)
Mentor

I also have the VIP2250 DVR and I am having problems with it freezing, at least once daily sometimes more often than that.  It's frustrating as I have never had problems like this with my previous cable company and if this continues I am switching back to cable or to satellite. 

I also have the VIP2250 DVR and I am having problems with it freezing, at least once daily sometimes more often than that.  It's frustrating as I have never had problems like this with my previous cable company and if this continues I am switching back to cable or to satellite. 

22 of 45 (5,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2011 9:20:26 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm on my third VIP 2250. The last technician thought the problem was that I had not replaced the power supply when I received the 2250. Apparently the power supply for the 2250 is different than the one that comes with the 1225. The 2250 power supply has an round orange sticker on it. About 24 hours after he put a new 2250 and power supply in it reset itself. I called and left several messages but received no call back. The box reset itself again the following day. I just got off the phone with AT&T tech support and was told that the signal strength coming into the box was lower than it should be. They performed some sort of technical procedure and told me that the signal strength was back to where it should be. We'll just have to see.

I'm on my third VIP 2250. The last technician thought the problem was that I had not replaced the power supply when I received the 2250. Apparently the power supply for the 2250 is different than the one that comes with the 1225. The 2250 power supply has an round orange sticker on it. About 24 hours after he put a new 2250 and power supply in it reset itself. I called and left several messages but received no call back. The box reset itself again the following day. I just got off the phone with AT&T tech support and was told that the signal strength coming into the box was lower than it should be. They performed some sort of technical procedure and told me that the signal strength was back to where it should be. We'll just have to see.

23 of 45 (5,017 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2011 1:49:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

Welcome joseph-rowland,

For new readers, always use the newer power supply because these are different; VIP2250's need a bit more power. And maybe if not all the correct parts are included with the replaced unit upon return to AT&T - a person could probably get a penalty charge against their account.

Some of this units are probably genuinely defective, but I have questions that maybe a Tech or Tech Support haven't asked you. Smiley Happy

Signal strength doesn't cause these resets, it been noted that some brands of TV can cause interference* with U-verse STBs; what is the distance from your TV to the VIP2250? (VIP2250 STB have a proper steel case with a plastic bezel.)

Are you using HDMI?, certain models of TVs (now combined with age) and U-verse STB do not play nicely together in this way.

Also trying other HDMI ports on your TV may have a low chance of resolving your problem**/***.

*Certain special features related to back-lighting, proprietary control systems (unified home theater control.), fancy fad gadgets like mood lighting. **In the past some older model TV didn't treat all ports as equals because a some hard or software errata. ***Your TV model and the VIP2250 may have problems performing reliable HDCP handshake & authentication.

And has anybody checked the integrity of your cables? HDMI cables should never be sharply bent, but rather gently curved around objects and corners.

As for getting help with line issues, please go to to http://www.uvrealtime.com/

Install that software because it collects statistics from the Residential Gateway and makes it much easier to get help. If you are still having problems, you can start a new thread and save pictures from the IP/Profile, Error Table, Bitloading, Coax/HPNA (if it says you have anything connected) tabs. Images can be posted by clicking on the tree icon.

Welcome joseph-rowland,

For new readers, always use the newer power supply because these are different; VIP2250's need a bit more power. And maybe if not all the correct parts are included with the replaced unit upon return to AT&T - a person could probably get a penalty charge against their account.

Some of this units are probably genuinely defective, but I have questions that maybe a Tech or Tech Support haven't asked you. Smiley Happy

Signal strength doesn't cause these resets, it been noted that some brands of TV can cause interference* with U-verse STBs; what is the distance from your TV to the VIP2250? (VIP2250 STB have a proper steel case with a plastic bezel.)

Are you using HDMI?, certain models of TVs (now combined with age) and U-verse STB do not play nicely together in this way.

Also trying other HDMI ports on your TV may have a low chance of resolving your problem**/***.

*Certain special features related to back-lighting, proprietary control systems (unified home theater control.), fancy fad gadgets like mood lighting. **In the past some older model TV didn't treat all ports as equals because a some hard or software errata. ***Your TV model and the VIP2250 may have problems performing reliable HDCP handshake & authentication.

And has anybody checked the integrity of your cables? HDMI cables should never be sharply bent, but rather gently curved around objects and corners.

As for getting help with line issues, please go to to http://www.uvrealtime.com/

Install that software because it collects statistics from the Residential Gateway and makes it much easier to get help. If you are still having problems, you can start a new thread and save pictures from the IP/Profile, Error Table, Bitloading, Coax/HPNA (if it says you have anything connected) tabs. Images can be posted by clicking on the tree icon.

24 of 45 (5,002 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2011 10:22:02 AM
(0)
Contributor

Ones,

I have a Sony Bravia that is about 4 feet from the VIP 2250. My 2250 has the steel case. The TV is connected via an HDMI cable. This never happened with the 1225 unit. The 1225 unit would lock up while watching a recorded program, which is why AT&T switched it out and gave me the 2250. The HDMI cable is almost a straight line from the box to the tv.

So far it's been 2 days and the 2250 hasn't reset. We'll see what happens today.

thank you

Joe

Ones,

I have a Sony Bravia that is about 4 feet from the VIP 2250. My 2250 has the steel case. The TV is connected via an HDMI cable. This never happened with the 1225 unit. The 1225 unit would lock up while watching a recorded program, which is why AT&T switched it out and gave me the 2250. The HDMI cable is almost a straight line from the box to the tv.

So far it's been 2 days and the 2250 hasn't reset. We'll see what happens today.

thank you

Joe

25 of 45 (4,979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2011 1:54:35 PM
(0)
Scholar

Good. Robot Very Happy

Curiously, If you have a TV with Bravia Sync, Does the VIP2250 show up in the Sync menu?

This thread has some ideas in it, My Main Receiver is a nightmare.

Good. Robot Very Happy

Curiously, If you have a TV with Bravia Sync, Does the VIP2250 show up in the Sync menu?

This thread has some ideas in it, My Main Receiver is a nightmare.

26 of 45 (4,973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 4:12:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

The Sony doesn't have Sync, it's an older model.

The Sony doesn't have Sync, it's an older model.

27 of 45 (4,947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 3:35:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue - I thought we were just haunted.  Anyway, I've been having issues with my receiver rebooting itself for some time.  So far, the tech has replaced every single piece of equipment, including cables and power supplies.  Still having the issue.  I have it connected to a Vizio LCD TV.  I have two Vizio TVs, so just to say I did everything possible, I swapped TVs... still had the reboot issue.  So I changed to the comp cable... so far it hasn't rebooted today, but the picture quality is not as good as HDMI, and I still have the freezing/skipping problems, and the volume will cut off now and then.

Any suggestions?  I called Vizio, and they were little help - he suggested ensuring the audio settings on the TV and the receiver are set to PCM.  I verified the TV setting, but how do I verify the setting on the receiver?

Thanks - hang in there guys & gals.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue - I thought we were just haunted.  Anyway, I've been having issues with my receiver rebooting itself for some time.  So far, the tech has replaced every single piece of equipment, including cables and power supplies.  Still having the issue.  I have it connected to a Vizio LCD TV.  I have two Vizio TVs, so just to say I did everything possible, I swapped TVs... still had the reboot issue.  So I changed to the comp cable... so far it hasn't rebooted today, but the picture quality is not as good as HDMI, and I still have the freezing/skipping problems, and the volume will cut off now and then.

Any suggestions?  I called Vizio, and they were little help - he suggested ensuring the audio settings on the TV and the receiver are set to PCM.  I verified the TV setting, but how do I verify the setting on the receiver?

Thanks - hang in there guys & gals.

28 of 45 (4,928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 3:44:43 PM
(0)
Scholar

I notice that my VIP-2250 gets quite a bit warmer than the previous VIP-1225 I had.  I suspect that once summer arrives, the 2250 will be having a lot more heat-related issues.

I notice that my VIP-2250 gets quite a bit warmer than the previous VIP-1225 I had.  I suspect that once summer arrives, the 2250 will be having a lot more heat-related issues.

29 of 45 (4,927 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 1:01:40 AM
(0)
Scholar

Nope not haunted, probably somebodies defective workmanship most likely. Robot Frustrated

Just sometimes TV firmware isn't fully compliant, and AT&T has had their other own HDMI issues, since the beginning...

Did the Tech really check your lines kgilsen? Did he check that the power outlet was wired correctly that neutral hasn't been swapped with ground, and correct line voltage?

Yeah sometimes it won't look as good - I think it's 16 bit colors (65k, not millions of colors),

These boxes do not have a setting for PCM audio, only Stereo or Surround sound. You can verify or change your settings by pressing Menu, scroll right to Options, press OK on highlighted Audio/Language Options, press OK on highlighted Digital audio output.

Do your TV have HDMI-CEC capability(manufactures have diffrent names so I refer to the technical nomenclature), if you don't need that level of Home theater system control turn it off.

But yeah, component is a last resort to moving the 2250 box to another room and using an older VIP1200, or VIP2200 (non dvr version).

Nope not haunted, probably somebodies defective workmanship most likely. Robot Frustrated

Just sometimes TV firmware isn't fully compliant, and AT&T has had their other own HDMI issues, since the beginning...

Did the Tech really check your lines kgilsen? Did he check that the power outlet was wired correctly that neutral hasn't been swapped with ground, and correct line voltage?

Yeah sometimes it won't look as good - I think it's 16 bit colors (65k, not millions of colors),

These boxes do not have a setting for PCM audio, only Stereo or Surround sound. You can verify or change your settings by pressing Menu, scroll right to Options, press OK on highlighted Audio/Language Options, press OK on highlighted Digital audio output.

Do your TV have HDMI-CEC capability(manufactures have diffrent names so I refer to the technical nomenclature), if you don't need that level of Home theater system control turn it off.

But yeah, component is a last resort to moving the 2250 box to another room and using an older VIP1200, or VIP2200 (non dvr version).

30 of 45 (4,913 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments