For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
skeeterintexas's profile
ACE - Expert

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 12:28 PM

One STB frozen...need a new box?

The box in my spare bedroom rarely get used.  Maybe once or twice a month, literally. 

When I tried to watch it yesterday, it came on fine but froze up within 10-15 seconds.  When I changed channels, the same thing happened, regardless if it was on a SD or HD channel.

I (attempted) to reset the box but it stayed on the orange ATT screen for so long I just gave up.  I turned the TV off and left the box on and went to bed.  It had come back on by this a.m. (not sure how long it took to reboot) but it's doing the same thing.

The DVR and other STB are fine as is the internet and VOIP so I don't feel the need to reset the RG unless that would help.  Should I just call and tell them to send me a new STB? 

I've had UV for almost 4 years and it might just be a case of planned obsolescence.

Shoutout to everyone who can remember their childhood phone number but can't remember the password they created yesterday.  You are my people.  😊

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

13 years ago

I reset the RG and that didn't help so this morning (before I called!), I thought I'd check the connections. 

One of the component cables (the white one from the TV) was the teeny tiniest bit loose.  I mean miniscule.  But I made sure it was super tight and guess what?  No more freezing.

If I wasn't so happy to not have to deal with CS, I'd feel silly!

• 

25.7K Messages

13 years ago

Is the STB fed via coax or Cat 5e?  Maybe the cable feeding the STB is damaged?  Try switching the bad STB with the one that works to see if it's the box or the connection?

If it's the box call repair to get a new one.  If it's the connection make sure all connections are tight and see if that fixes it.  If not maybe a bad splitter, or damaged cable feeding the room.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

13 years ago

Skeeter we had something similar happen to the STB in our kitchen/dining area.  The tech came out and first did a power off reset of the RG.  After it was up and running again he did a disaster recovery reboot of the problem STB.  When all was finished it was up and running again and we've had no further problems.  He said he had no idea why this might have happened but it was apparently just a glitch.   If the above does not do the trick for you.....then it most likely is the STB going south. IMHO.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.