For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
NateGrey626's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 3:41 AM

New To UVerse - Questions/Pixelation Problems

Hello, hope someone can provide me with more information.

Recently switched to AT&T UVerse after having Comcast for 8 years.

I am a big sports fan and have found the basketball and football games to be heavily pixelated especially for wide shots where the faces can not even be made out. I have downloaded the Real Time UVerse application to check if anything stood out and was wondering if someone wiser could take a look and see if there is anything that stands out, if I should have a tech come out to take a look, or if this is something to expect. I have a 100in 1080 projection screen so the pixelation is highly distracting. Comcast rarely had pixelation, and definitely not at this level, I have to believe that the picture can be better than what I currently get. As I understand I am pretty close to the VRAD so maybe noise is a problem?

Posted below are screen shots.

Edit: Wanted to add I did schedule to have a tech come out and was told they would arrive from 12-4 Saturday. Waited the entire day, no one showed up, received a call at 6 as I was leaving for dinner that the tech was running late and would be there in a half hour. Had to cancel the appointment, this is my second resort at some more information. Thanks.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

It is -not- the one connected via Cat 5 to the modem/router. ... that one is in the "office", and says 1200 on it. 

The one with the problems is bigger, and says 1216. 

It is connected via Coax cable... they did a nice job labelling them in the basement.  It looks like they pulled new cable, there are a bunch of unused cable's hanging from the ceiling where the junctions are located.  

I'll try these steps.  

1. Switch two ends down in the basement at the splitter... Family room to kitchen (skipping to working) 

2. Switch Family room box to kitchen.  Both are coax. 

3.  Find a long ethernet cable and run cat 5 from office to the living room box. 

Question.  I have a son here who is using a laptop on the wireless to play STEAM games.  Seems to pull a lot of wireless packets when he does so, and it is possible that things are degraded when he is doing so.  Is he going to pull enough to effect the coax throughput... or is that just a red herring? 

Also...  It is -much- worse in prime time.  Can almost not repeat it in the morning, when folks are at work.  Terrible on all channels in the evening. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Wow.  First try.  

Putting the 1216 in the office by the gateway did the trip.  Watched the Notre Dame v FSU game with nary a glitch, and Steam was running full-speed downstairs throughout. 

Thanks for the help.  One would wonder why multiple visits from a tech were unable to resolve that... but that would probably just lead to a cynical rant, so I'll just leave it with:

"Thank you for the help!  Great to see knowledgeable people helping out on the forums." 

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Glad aviewer could fix you up.  +1  Smiley Happy

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

eric.jenney - Now that you can watch the main TV, it is still possible that the 1216 is faulty. Even though the office TV may not be watched frequently it should work flawlessly when you want it to.

If the 1216 TV acts up call for a replacement. I would tell the CSR that it exhibited failure, was moved & the failure followed the box. So, it is not faulty wiring. It is a faulty STB.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

That may be true, or maybe not. I don't believe it is. Either way, I went to U-verse after having DirecTV. The difference is night and day. The picture withDirecTV is sharp with a quicker refresh rate, especially with sports programming. If you don't believe me, just go to any AT&T store on a Sunday afternoon. They just about all have a TV with U-verse and one with DirecTV. DirecTV is sharper, period. Hands down. I will be going back to DirecTV as soon as my contract is up.

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

@uverseuser10050 wrote:

But - I still get 'shadows' on fast moving scenes such as football.  I did some research - turns out the Uverse Motorola boxes only transmit at 60 GHZ, for fast action viewing you need at least 120.

Does anyone know when Uverse will be upgrading to 120 Ghz???

1. The frequencies you're speaking of are Hertz (Hz), not Gigahertz (GHz).

2. ALL broadcast or provider-transmitted TV content in the USA has a 60 Hz field rate maximum.  Period, end of story.  There is no such thing as "120 Hz" content.

3. The frequency that is marketed on modern TVs is a screen refresh rate and/or motion interpolation rate.  It's original intent was to make motion smoother for film-based content, which has a 24 Hz frame rate.  Motion interpolation was never intended to further smooth content that already has a 60 Hz field rate.

4. The human eye loses any sense of motion judder at frequencies beyond 55-60 Hz.  The human eye loses any sense of field flicker at frequencies beyond 72 Hz.  Any motion interpolation at any higher frequency than this is a complete waste of time and effort, because no human can perceive it.

5. The "shadows" you are talking about on fast moving scenes are compression artifacts caused by the aggressive H.264 video compression used by AT&T.  It has nothing to do with the screen refresh rate, motion interpolation rate, or content temporal resolution.

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

@uverseuser10050 wrote:

But - I still get 'shadows' on fast moving scenes such as football.  I did some research - turns out the Uverse Motorola boxes only transmit at 60 GHZ, for fast action viewing you need at least 120.

Does anyone know when Uverse will be upgrading to 120 Ghz???

1. The frequencies you're speaking of are Hertz (Hz), not Gigahertz (GHz).

2. ALL broadcast or provider-transmitted TV content in the USA has a 60 Hz field rate maximum.  Period, end of story.  There is no such thing as "120 Hz" content.

3. The frequency that is marketed on modern TVs is a screen refresh rate and/or motion interpolation rate.  It's original intent was to make motion smoother for film-based content, which has a 24 Hz frame rate.  Motion interpolation was never intended to further smooth content that already has a 60 Hz field rate.

4. The human eye loses any sense of motion judder at frequencies beyond 55-60 Hz.  The human eye loses any sense of field flicker at frequencies beyond 72 Hz.  Any motion interpolation at any higher frequency than this is a complete waste of time and effort, because no human can perceive it.

5. The "shadows" you are talking about on fast moving scenes are compression artifacts caused by the aggressive H.264 video compression used by AT&T.  It has nothing to do with the screen refresh rate, motion interpolation rate, or content temporal resolution.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@Denrod53 You responded to a 3 year old thread, that may be irrelevant.

For me I get great Uverse HD TV under my viewing conditions:

I have a 42" Panasonic plasma w/an anti reflective screen and 480hz sub field drive connected by component. I sit at the far viewing distance (3 x diagonal distance-10.5') as that's the way my apartment lays out. All cat5e/ethernet patch cable install.

Essentially the artifacts I see are 'football grass' slight movement (1080i) and very, very few backgrounds 'moving slightly' (again 1080i).

In sports, on Uverse, 720p Networks(FOX, ABC/ESPNs) tend to be better than 1080i Networks (CBS, TNT, TBS, all NBC channels) due to the fact the 1080i Networks need 10-20% more bandwidth to be equivalent to 720p. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.