technofool's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wednesday, September 17th, 2014 10:40 PM

Motorola VIP2250 (circa 2011) "crushes" black levels. Any fixes?

Recently purchased a Plasma TV with HDMI inputs, only to discover that my VIP2250 "crushes" black levels 😞

My previous TV used the component (RGB) video output without this issue.

Is there updated HW or SW without this problem? ("crushed" black levels)

Motorola VIP2250

TV2 client version: 2.2.28163.20 (RELEASE)

Bootstrap ROM: 2.7537

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

Nope, no resolution.  Only way I could fix it was do a N-D Disaster Recovery, but every time it rebooted after that it had the black crush.  So I went to component and still had a great picture. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATTUverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

How does one perform an ND Disaster Recovery on a VIP2250?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Unplug the power cord of the DVR from the wall or from the back of the box and wait ten seconds. Plug the DVR back in. When three white dots appear on the screen, unplug the DVR again. Repeat this process two more times. Plug the DVR back in on the third time and leave in. Three white dots appear followed by a gear with a status bar at the bottom of the screen. If the Disaster Recovery screen does not appear, repeat the steps above. If the Disaster Recovery screen appears, wait until completion.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

After unplugging my VIP2250 and waiting 10+ sec, I plugged it in and it booted into the "Rethink Possible" screen, then the "ATT Uverse" screen, before finally finishing on the "Press OK to watch TV" screen. There were no "white dots".

That procedure must be for an old version of SW?

Mentor

• 

84 Messages

10 years ago

The non destructive recovery is not a total fix, it's still off.

One person with the updated TV2 client version: 2.4.29140.22 said it fixed the dark picture. That was 4 months ago and the update hasn't been fully rolled out.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@technofool wrote:

After unplugging my VIP2250 and waiting 10+ sec, I plugged it in and it booted into the "Rethink Possible" screen, then the "ATT Uverse" screen, before finally finishing on the "Press OK to watch TV" screen. There were no "white dots".

That procedure must be for an old version of SW?

The three large white dots appear before the "Rethink Possible" screen.  And, as the last reply stated, this is a temporary fix at best.  AT&T claims the rollout of the firmware is imminent.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Nothing appeared before the Rethink Possible screen, just the TVs "No signal. Check your connections" message. 

Just as an experiment, I connected my TV to both the HDMI and RGB outputs of the VIP2250, then watched a dark program (i.e. Pacific Rim) while switching between both "Sources". The HDMI output is definitely "crushed", and increaseing the Brightness setting on the TV doesn't improve shadow detail. (I matched the TV settings for both Inputs prior to comparing)

So for now, I'll use the RGB output and consider my other options (Xfinity, DirecTV...)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.