For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Hopalong_1's profile

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

Monday, September 8th, 2014 12:41 AM

Intermittent Picture Failure

On one of my cable boxes, not a dvr, the picture suddenly disappears but I continue to get sound. Today, when I turned on the tv all I saw was searching for a signal. All of the connections were good so I tried rebooting, which seemed to work. But, after watching tv for about 10-15 minutes the picture disappeared again. I turned the tv off for a little over a minute, but when I turned it back on I had absolutely no service. I tried rebooting again but nothing seemed to happen. Later this evening I tried it again and everything is working now. But over the past month it seems like I can only watch it for a short period of time before the picture disappears. (Today is the first I lost sound also.)

UPDATE: I just went to check on it again since I had it on while searching for a solution. I have sound but NO PICTURE AGAIN! I am wondering if there is any way I can get AT&T to remotely test this box so I can try to determine if the problem is the cable box or my tv? (Considering what I've experienced today, I am inclined to believe it's the cable box, but I'd like to be sure.) For the record, I should also note that my dvr box is working fine, but not the cable box.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Sounds like an HDMI interface incompatibility. The STB is not getting the signal from the TV to say that it is not a recording device & it blacks out the video. The fix is to use component cables similar to the ones in the link. If you have any RCA jack ended cables around the house you can use three for video as a test.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Component-Video-Cable-Audio/dp/B001ID829O/ref=pd_rhf_dp_shvl1

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

@Hopalong_1 wrote:

On one of my cable boxes, not a dvr, the picture suddenly disappears but I continue to get sound. Today, when I turned on the tv all I saw was searching for a signal. All of the connections were good so I tried rebooting, which seemed to work. But, after watching tv for about 10-15 minutes the picture disappeared again. I turned the tv off for a little over a minute, but when I turned it back on I had absolutely no service. I tried rebooting again but nothing seemed to happen. Later this evening I tried it again and everything is working now. But over the past month it seems like I can only watch it for a short period of time before the picture disappears. (Today is the first I lost sound also.)

UPDATE: I just went to check on it again since I had it on while searching for a solution. I have sound but NO PICTURE AGAIN! I am wondering if there is any way I can get AT&T to remotely test this box so I can try to determine if the problem is the cable box or my tv? (Considering what I've experienced today, I am inclined to believe it's the cable box, but I'd like to be sure.) For the record, I should also note that my dvr box is working fine, but not the cable box.

You don't say how you are connected, but if by HDMI, you should be getting error messages too.

If the DVR functions are still not working, try a Non-Destructive Disaster Recovery.

Unplug the power cord of the DVR from the wall or from the back of the box and wait ten seconds. Plug the DVR back in.

When three white dots appear on the screen, unplug the DVR again. Repeat this process two more times.

Plug the DVR back in on the third time and leave in. Three white dots appear followed by a gear with a status bar at the bottom of the screen.

If the Disaster Recovery screen does not appear, repeat the steps above. If the Disaster Recovery screen appears, wait until completion.

If the Non-Destructive Disaster Recovery does not work, follow the steps for a Force Disaster Recovery

Will not erase recordings, take a long time, can be upto 20-30 mins or so.

Friends don't let friends pay more than needed for any cables, component cables from Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10235

Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

10 years ago

The box in question is a standard STB, not a dvr. However, I did contact AT&T and was told to do the same thing you suggested. That didn't work either since I not only could see any screen at all, but after picking up the power cord to disconnect it, I lost sound as well.

To make a long story short, AT&T is sending me a new stb cable box! Hopefully that will solve it. But, thanks for your effort. It is much appreciated!

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T installed the cable when they connected it to the tv years ago. I don't think they would have used the wrong cable. Either way, AT&T is sending me a new stb cable box!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.