jerlands's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, March 13th, 2013 5:59 PM

How Many TV's Can The Wireless Receiver Distribute To?

I'm maxed out on my LAN ports and want to temporarily add a wireless location.  I'm thinking of using a AV receiver/transmitter connected to the composite outputs.  I'm currently connected via HDMI to one TV.  Just like to know if the receiver can hanle the load.

Thanks,

Jon

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

jerlands -
Yes, I believe it is strongly recommended to not mix computers and TV on the same switch. Here is a switch that I saw in posts recommending it - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006RVPW/ref=asc_df_B00006RVPW1644937?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B00006RVPW

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

jerlands - A wireless receiver is fed by a WAP that consumes a LAN port. So, to free up a port you would need two Wireless receivers fed off the same WAP. And, return one wired receiver.

You can add ports with a switch.

A wireless receiver can handle multiple connections, just like a wired receuver. To connect an AV with a TV you have two choices. HDMi through the AV to the TV, using the AV to select source. Or, HDMI to the TV & sound multipled to the AV via optical or the audio jacks.

Component would be used to feed a second TV from one STB. This has been done in the past. The other day I was setting up two TVs HDMI/composite & when the HDMI was not live, the component was blocked - no signal.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Re: Switch to expand ports...

Hmm, I currently have two of the LAN ports devoted to TV's.  I take it then I could put all TV's on the switch?

Thanks,

Jon

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks... I didn't know if 1 Gigabits Per Second was necessary or not.

Jon

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.