For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
FrustratedinIN's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Tuesday, August 23rd, 2016 7:21 PM

Help please with 2 wireless STB unable to pause

I have not been able to get resolution with AT&T 800# and 4 different techs out to house (2 inside guys and 2 outside line gentleman).

They installed new RG (pace 5268ac) and put a netgear switch on DVR to smart tv to help YouTube buffering.

Since then, both wireless boxes will not pause live tv! They will jump to live within 10-20 minutes even with no other tv's on or anything recording.
I have reset/unplugged all devices and WAP and first started/plugged in RG, then DVR, then other wireless boxes and WAP to no avail.

I cannot get any resolution. Do not know how to get to tier 2 tech....? And the techs on phone say unable to transfer my call to anyone.. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Could that switch on DVR to smart tv cause wireless STB problems?
Do I need new DVR? The original problem was tv's freezing and needling rebooting (tech said she could see 54 reboots in last year or calendar year).

So now what to do ? Am hoping to not lose recordings but if need be.... Just want pause live tv back (once you have had it - hard to lose and not go to bathroom or answer phone and then lose your show).

Thank you!!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@FrustratedinIN - You should not have both TV & internet access connected to the switch. TV or internet access should be alone on the RG  & the other group can be on the switch. If they do not fit in this config, you need two switches - one for internet & one for TV.

Note that the "smart TV" has both internet access(the smart side) & TV at thew same location, so it may be tempting to put them both on one switch - NG each needs to get back to the RG on a leg that contains only the same type of traffic.

Is the WAP at least two meters from the RG? Try better location - even longer cable - must connect directly to RG or to switch with TV only.

Try a whole house reboot (wil NOT lose recordings)- pul power on all u-verse devices.

Restore RG - wait for all green

Restore DVR - wait for viewing

Restore other devices

Pause is very fragile & easily lost - ipV6 is known to cause loss of signal - try turning ipV6 off in RG - lost signal - lost PAUSE.

Better - record all normally watched programs - Watch recording - To PAUSE recording, press LAST. To resume - Press LAST.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

So he set up the switch thing on the smart tv incorrectly?  Should I unplug it?  

I don't know how to fix.

And what is NG?

I did do whole house reboot - unplugged everything.  But wireless still will not pause. Even if I record to save - it will boot me out to live tv and I will have to go into recordings to pull up and finish watching.  I was addicted to be behind on my favorite channel so I would not have to record, but I could speen thru commercials.

This is a bummer!  The 3rd tech out here said the last outside tech didn't do a thing about outside line.  THen great gentleman came and spent like 4 hours outside on hot hot day fixing lines outside.  

If I look at wires on that switch - can I figure out how to unplug?  

Why didn't he give me 2 switches if i need 2 switches?  He just did this at last second to help that smart tv  not be wireless anymore I guess - so that is what is messing with the wireless STB's you think?  

Hope i am making sense.  Thank you so much! 

I am obviously novice here! My dad was able to do PC's (was in biz for years until he got alzheimers and couldn't put on a seat belt and passed away).  He used to help me with this stuff, before I went imac. 🙂

Thank you again!!!!!

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

From aviewer: ACE expert

Note that the "smart TV" has both internet access(the smart side) & TV at thew same location, so it may be tempting to put them both on one switch - NG each needs to get back to the RG on a leg that contains only the same type of traffic.

Thanks again "aviewer"! 

So, there are 3 cords coming into the front of that gigabit switch next to smart tv and i rememberr him having to get behind other side of tv (tight squeeze) for the phone switch looking wire (hope that makes sense)to plug in. 

So, how do I get another switch to NG - did you mean RG (gateway)?  The gateway is upstairs and this tv is in my legally blind mom's room downstairs.

Is it feasible to get another switch to do this correctly you think?  Or should I try and dismantle that gigabit thing and go back to old way with crummy youtube and netflix?  I was trying to make my seeing impaired mom's big TV nice for her to see stuff and get netflix, etc with ease.  Geez, what a can of worms I opened. Had no idea it would be this difficult. 

And the new RG seems to have to stopped my time machine/passport from backing up.  My imac no longer even recognizes it.  but that's another mess. feels fubar here.

THanks again if you have time to respond. or anyone. thanks!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@FrustratedinIN - You do not necessarily need another switch. You need another cable - unless the STB is wireless.

Lets say the STB is wired off the switch, you can disconnect the cable that goes behind the TV & see if the TV pause  now works. Or disconnect the input to the swaitch- the wire that comes from the RG & plug it in to the STB.

If that works, you need two wires from the RG one to the STB & the other to the TV. Perhaps the tech thought the switch would eliminate the need for the second wire, It may work, or not,

NG means NO Good.

For Your imac - go to settings - wi-fi - & find the new name for the network & enter the new password to sign in to the network.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

Oh my gosh, THanks!  The STB with gigabit switch is the wired DVR downstairs.

The guy who set it up called me back and told me how to disconnect that switch to that smart TV with the wired DVR STB.  So that got disconnected and back to straight DVR to TV (nothing plugged into switch any longer to test).

Anyway, with switch no longer plugged in, and back to 'old' way - wireless boxes still jumping to live TV within a couple minutes up to 20-ish.  Used to be able to pause for whole hour and would just start playing from that previous hour (unless recording or too many things going on of course).

Any other tests I can do?   I have moved the WAP even further away from the RG.  Is the Pace more sensitive than the old NVG589  I think it was?

Thanks again! So very appreciative!!!

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

areviewer:

I haven new news - do not want to jinx, but....  my phone guy "wanted to test your theory" (his words not mine) but he did not tell me to reset everything including RG.  So, I did unplug everything (RG,DVR, WAP, wireless STB's) and plugged back in one at time starting with RG.

This was done after disconnecting that gigabit switch to the wired DVR smart tv downstairs (RG is upstairs in loft).

Anyway - I think this solved the problem as you suggested!!!  That switch was messing with my pause live TV!!   Holy cow. AFter so much time, I am so excited right now! 

But, is there a way to go back like you suggested with keeping one switch with the data separate (TV vs. internet) so that her TV will not freeze on netflix and youtube so much?

I know you said I would need 2 wires from RG to STB, but (and I know I do not understand all this so forgive me) with that switch was even one coming from the RG?  There were 3 input wires on front of the gigabit - but with my RG upstairs - there are not direct wires from the RG unless one of the data cables down there is connected and I do not understand.  I readily admit this!!! 🙂

Thank you again!  If anything, I will leave it at this if this is best it can get.  and to think I was considering getting another/better router to help things out (like I could handle bridging or adding on my own after reading these forums).  

Best,

amy

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@FrustratedinIN - Good to hear it is working again.

It does sound like you need a cable from the RG to the STB & another from the RG to the TV.

The easiest way to pull a new cable is to use the existing one, if it it is loose. Also, pull a string to pulll the existing one back. Source of cat5 cabl is monoprice.com. Buy with ends attached.

The RG has four ports. If that is not enough, use the switch (at the RG) for more ports for whichever you have more devices - STBs  or internet - Just do not put a mixture on the switch.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks!  So is there a cable in that downstairs bedroom to pull a cable from?  I don't know how to get a long enough cat5 to get from loft upstairs (next to computer and RG) all the way to the downstairs TV.  I currently have 3 ports on RG filled ( added imac to be wired to try and lessen wireless load in house - not sure if helps or not). 

Thanks a million!  I will see if your notes can help me with the last tech to setup differently. 

Love this forum - such a lifesaver!! 🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.