dgeiste's profile

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

Sunday, June 30th, 2013 1:47 PM

HDMI vs. Composite and HDMI selector switch

Searched the forums for this with no results, but I'm sure this has been discussed ad naseum at some point in the past.

My TV is an older plasma and only has one HDMI port. I have to use the HDMI on the TV for my home theater, so I'm forced to use composite for watching TV.

The uverse installer mentioned that composite only does 720 dpi. I'm new to uverse, but is that true? I had him set the uverse box to 1080i and it's fine. Just trying to determine the truth here.

I know there's been much discussion whether a difference is really seen between composite and HDMI, but if I can get even a slightly better picture with HDMI, I can look into an HDMI input selector switch.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

dgeiste - Glad you asked. We do not want to spread misinformation.

First thing is composite is not HD. The correct word is component. Easy to slip I have done it myself.

Composite is a single yellow RCA jack for SD video & the red/white for analog stereo audio.

Component is three RCA jacks for analog HD video & the red/white for analog Stereo audio.

Some TVs may use the same yellow component jack for the composite jack.

Component is analog HD. HDMI is digital HD. Component goes up to 1080i. HDMI is required to move up to 1080p. HDMI or other digital connection (e.g. coax or optical) is required for surround sound.

Only you can tell if you can see a difference between component and HDMI on your TV. My perspective, on my TV is that the HDMI is more sensitive to differences in the original signal. HDMI varies more on different programs. The component signal is more consistent across the same range of quality. You are more likely to see an HDMI picture & say WOW. But, if the quality was not there on the incoming signal, you will not. I am not talking U-verse as originating - I am talking the camera that took the video.

Here is a simple device to multiple your HDMI - http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-1-Out-Auto-Switch-Cable/dp/B0018DQYQ2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1307119901&sr=8-4

Here is a site to learn more - http://sewelldirect.com/learning-center.aspx

Please post again if you have more questions.

Scholar

• 

108 Messages

11 years ago

You said home theater, so I assume you have a receiver. Why not run your uverse hdmi out into your receiver and also your blu-ray player, and then run hdmi out of it into your tv?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

@blujacket wrote:

You said home theater, so I assume you have a receiver. Why not run your uverse hdmi out into your receiver and also your blu-ray player, and then run hdmi out of it into your tv?

Generally not a good thing to run HDMI through the receiver to the TV, the receiver will not properly pass the HDMI signals, especially at start up.  It's best to send optial to the receiver and HDMI directly to the TV. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Scholar

• 

108 Messages

11 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote:

@blujacket wrote:

Generally not a good thing to run HDMI through the receiver to the TV, the receiver will not properly pass the HDMI signals, especially at start up.  It's best to send optial to the receiver and HDMI directly to the TV. 😉

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

That's the point of having a home theater. Wiring simplicity and using the receiver as your hub. I have never had a problem with my Denon receiver using Dish, or Uverse. A universal remote takes care of starting each component in whatever sequence you would like. If you have a receiver that won't pass hdmi properly, it's time for an upgrade.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

@blujacket wrote:

@mibrnsurg wrote:

@blujacket wrote:

Chris

That's the point of having a home theater. Wiring simplicity and using the receiver as your hub. I have never had a problem with my Denon receiver using Dish, or Uverse. A universal remote takes care of starting each component in whatever sequence you would like. If you have a receiver that won't pass hdmi properly, it's time for an upgrade.

Unluckily you never know if the HDMI passthrough problem will crop up, there is no list of units that will/will not pass the HDMI signals through properly on Uverse. 😉

Chris

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.