For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
mcheck14's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 1:10 AM

HDMI video range - Black Crush

Hopefully somone can help me out here. This black crush issue is driving me crazy. After much research it seems as if the Cisco isb7500 and 7005 boxes send out RGB 0-235 instead of the standard RGB 16-235. Why in the world would they design it like this?

Any how, I have an Epson 5020 projector in the basement with hdmi in the wall so running the component cables is out of the question. I can change the range on the projector to extended but it throws off all the colors and disables certain features. 

Is there any way to get these boxes to broadcast the 16-235 range through HDMI like every other cable provider does? It has been extremely frustrating since switching from TWC to get a decent picture.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

I sent it to the U-verse care group.  That's about as much as I know how to do with it.

I told them about it on the getsocial site and they were not aware of it, although another user was having the same problem on a rear projector TV too at the same time.  We both have 2250's.  I was able to get it to disappear w/a Non-Destructive Disaster Recovery, but the next reboot would bring it back.

I am unable to get a good picture on HDMI (it's actually worse than the original black crush problem), so I've been on component w/no complaints on PQ. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

I have been informed that this issue is known to development and the fix will be provided in an upcoming release.

I know it's not a lot of news, but it's what I've got.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I had never heard of Black Crush until just now. I have recently switched to Uverse from DirectTV and first noticed the issue watching the final of Boardwalk Empire. I REALLY hope this is something that will be remedied soon as I like Uverse's other features so far... 

I guess an ETA is too much to ask for?

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

10 years ago

This is an old thread, but I ran into this issue today with a new TV I just bought and an ISB 7500.  The picture was great except for the super dark blacks with no definition.  aka, "crushed"

The TV, a Samsung plasma, does have a setting to change the HDMI RGB range and changing that allowed for a much more balanced picture, but now that change impacts everything coming out of my AV receiver since I use it for HDMI switching and just run a single cable to my TV.

So I'd definitely like to see it fixed.  

Thanks.

A

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I am having the same problem.  I was "upgraded" to the VIP 2250 due to issues with my old DVR.  Ever since the upgrade the HDMI picture quality has been abismal.  I have had it replaced once and it is no better.  There are no details in any dark areas on screen.  When I watch House of Lies Don Cheadle has only half of a face (the half in shadow just disappears).  I am getting the run around from customer support.  If there is not a fix for this soon I will be dropping my uVerse service...

Have there been any updates from AT&T regarding a firmware upgrade?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I appreciate the reply, though I am not sure I understand the relevance.  I have the Motorola VIP 2250.  At this point I am considering dropping AT&T and moving to Direct TV.  I consider Comcast to be the worst provider on the market, so I am lefting having to move to satellite.  Either that, or I will buy a Tivo DVR.  No inexpensive choices. =(

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

mmcdermand - Re: Either that, or I will buy a Tivo DVR - You realize you cannot connect the TIVO to the U-verse input signal - only the output of the STB/DVR & you would need to have the TIVO control the STB for timed recordings.

Is there any way to adjust the TV to compensate for the black crush? Does it appear on component connection??

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

10 years ago

That's what I was just typing up.  Two choices right now:

1.  Use component since this is an HDMI issue

2.  Change your TVs HDMI Black Level (or similar setting) to compensate.  Works for me.

Good luck.

A

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion.  Black levels on the plasma are already cranked, along with gamma.  My HDMI cables are all run through the wall before flush mounting the TV.  Really do not want to pull it off the wall at this point to run component cables if I can avoid it...

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

10 years ago

I'm actually talking about a setting totally separate from gamma/contrast/brightness.  On both my Samsung and Panasonic plasmas there's an HDMI Black Level setting (or something close) that's basically either "High" or "Low".   Or maybe "Low" and "Normal".  

Switching that fixed it on both my sets.  

A

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.