mcheck14's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 1:10 AM

HDMI video range - Black Crush

Hopefully somone can help me out here. This black crush issue is driving me crazy. After much research it seems as if the Cisco isb7500 and 7005 boxes send out RGB 0-235 instead of the standard RGB 16-235. Why in the world would they design it like this?

Any how, I have an Epson 5020 projector in the basement with hdmi in the wall so running the component cables is out of the question. I can change the range on the projector to extended but it throws off all the colors and disables certain features. 

Is there any way to get these boxes to broadcast the 16-235 range through HDMI like every other cable provider does? It has been extremely frustrating since switching from TWC to get a decent picture.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

10 years ago

Check out the prices at Monoprice.com.  Their prices are really good, and I bought a 20 foot hdmi cable that has the transformers in the connectors to compensate for the length of the cable.  Also, the cable is really thin and flexible so it can be run any way you need it. This cable only cost me about $9 at the time.  I bought 3 more 6 foot cables for about $2 each.  This was around March this year so the price should not be much higher.  Go check out that site.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

So basically what your saying is that ATT doesn't care about picture quality because they are a "teleco company that offers a video subscription service". So ATT has no interest in meeting the same standards of their direct competitors? Pretty silly response.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

No, he was objecting to your phrase "like every other cable provider," since AT&T is not a cable provider.

However, I thought that they had fixed the issue with the black crush years ago.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

No, he was objecting to your phrase "like every other cable provider," since AT&T is not a cable provider.

However, I thought that they had fixed the issue with the black crush years ago.

They did fix it on the Sigma Designs-based STBs (Motorola VIP1200, VIP1216, VIP1225, Cisco IPN330, IPN430, IPN4320).

The problem has reappeared on all of the Broadcom-based designs (Cisco ISB7005, ISB7500, Motorola VIP2250).

Here is the old HDMI calibration thread for those interested in the history of this problem:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Receivers-Battery-Backup/How-to-Use-the-HDNet-Test-Pattern-to-do-Basic-Calibration/m-p/2159617#M6646

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Well that explains why mine has looked different.  I received a VIP2250 about 3 or 4 months ago and I thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me.......Guess not.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

They did fix it on the Sigma Designs-based STBs (Motorola VIP1200, VIP1216, VIP1225, Cisco IPN330, IPN430, IPN4320).

The problem has reappeared on all of the Broadcom-based designs (Cisco ISB7005, ISB7500, Motorola VIP2250).

SomeJoe, Do you think AT&T is sufficiently aware of this?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

SomeJoe, Do you think AT&T is sufficiently aware of this?

Well, there are threads referencing the issue all the way back to when the ISB7500 was first released.

I'd say AT&T is probably just as aware of this issue as they are of any other issue.  Interpret that how you wish. Smiley Wink

It may be worth it to see if one of the mods can bring the issue to the attention of AT&T's technical team just to make sure.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

@BeeBeeSA wrote:

Well that explains why mine has looked different.  I received a VIP2250 about 3 or 4 months ago and I thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me.......Guess not.

On the previous STBs when the problem was affecting them, the issue was only present on the HDMI connection.  Black levels were correct on the Component outputs.

It may be worth seeing if the same behavior is present with this issue on your STB.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

I sent it to the U-verse care group.  That's about as much as I know how to do with it.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

I sent it to the U-verse care group.  That's about as much as I know how to do with it.

That should work.  They'll forward it to the right people.  As for getting it fixed, who knows.  It took nearly 2 years to get it fixed in the 1st-gen STBs.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.