For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
livefan431's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, April 25th, 2015 2:50 AM

HDMI Audio Dropout on Pace DVR

So, I've just had U-Verse installed, and as soon as the tech left, I noticed no audio.  Here's my configuration:

Pace IPH8005 DVR - HDMI out to Monoprice HDMI switch (along with several other components)

One optical audio out to Bose sound system.  ( Only have one optical audio available )

This configuration worked just fine for Comcast, but while I have great picture, the sound drops out in less than a second.  Everything works fine if I go directly from the DVR to my TV via HDMI, but not through the switch (which is working properly).  The temporary workaround I found is to run optical audio from my DVR to my Bose system, but this won't work, as that excludes all of my other devices.

I spoke with a pretty decent U-Verse tech guy, who is sending a new box out tomorrow.  He says, however, that there have been firmware updates which include DRM protections, which may be causing this lack of sound through HDMI. 

Also, there is no difference beteween selecting  "Stereo" and "Surround" in the system menu.

I see this was a fairly common problem a few years ago, but it appeared that it had been corrected.

Anyone having this issue?  Aware of a permanent fix?  Thanks!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks a ton!  I'm going to see if that will do the trick.  Appreciate the time!

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @livefan431

Just wanted to check up on your post. Did mibrnsurg's and aviewer's suggestions help you with the audio problem?

- MorganCS
- ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the follow-up!

As it turns out, there is some sort of handshake issue between the U-Verse box and the components.  I did a little more research and found that my Monoprice switch is DRM friendly, and allowed audio to travel through it and into my TV (so I get sound just fine from my TV speakers).

A tech came out and swapped boxes, with no change.  So, my alternative is to run optical audio from my TV directly to my Bose amp (through my walls, no fun).  I can still run all my video through the switch, but I'll just have to run audio differently.  

Just a minor frustration, and nothing to get bent out of shape over.  Hopefully this fix will save others a ton of time scratching their heads.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Did you resolve this issue?  I just was "downgraded" to an iph8005 and suddently my video, but not audio, keeps flashing in and out.  I've been running my uVerse box through a Pioneer SC-85 to a high end Sony tv.  PS4 and AppleTV work fine, but the iph8005 will only work properly when directly wired to the TV.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.