Gizmo99's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Sunday, September 26th, 2010 1:35 PM

Drops every 12 hrs

I am having an issue I hope someone here can help me with. My router does a total reset approx every 12 hrs, at first just the broadband and service lights would go out and I would have to manually unplug and reset the router. Now all lights other than power and ethernet go out and I still have to reset the router. Also I get further resets sometimes 2-3 times within 30 mins of the original reset. Once all this is done I am good for another 12 hrs approx.

First they found a bridgetap in the line and corrected it. Changed the power supply for the inid. Changed outlets for the ps as well, thought the refr was causing issues. Now the tech is stumped and is referring to his suprvisor. What bothers me is the regularity timing of the drops. I can almost set my watch by them. Usually between 7:30-8:30 am and the same at night, it seems to be getting progressively worse with more resets and more lights disappearing when it does happen. I have checked my network and have found no evidence of malware, viruses etc. (I was told by support that would cause the same issue). I have pots phone and not uverse phone which does not seem to be affected.

Any clues I can pass onto my tech will be greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

Issue has finally been resolved, after having my lines moved to different ones 3 separate times, having the sending cards changed 3 times, 2 different Inids installed and 3 different power supplies, the mystery has been solved.

The last tech came out and changed the cord on the power supply from a 3 prong to a 2 prong and said something was sending data or interference on the ground connection. Once he did that I have had no further issues with my unit resetting every 12 hrs.

If anyone has issues like this try using a 3 prong adapter and use only the 2 prongs for a while and see if your problems go away you can get one at any grocery store or dollar store on the cheap. Worth a shot anyway.

Good Luck!!

Guru

• 

497 Messages

14 years ago

I'll take a guess here.

I wonder if it could be an electrical issue of some kind?  I have a switch on one of my fans that will cause a brief issue with my audio receiver.  Routers and modems can be sensitive to power problems.

Could you run an extension cord to an outlet on another circuit for testing?  I'm considering adding a UPS to my RG when I get U-verse installed.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

14 years ago

My RG is on a UPS and before I upgraded from regular DSL 6 meg everything worked awesome. The issues I am currently having, have only been since the upgrade to uverse with 18 meg internet. The tech is convinced it's a signal loss issue and not a router issue as I have brought it up to him before.

Guru

• 

497 Messages

14 years ago

I also recall with traditional ADSL there could be problems resulting from lights and timer/auto switches.  That might be causing some sort of RF interference. 

What type of cable do you have between the RG and NID?

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

14 years ago

I run cat 6 for my home network. I have a regular phone line from Inid to RG they refused to upgrade it to cat5 when they installed. When I inquired about it they said it wasn't necessary. I'm hoping someone can provide proof it is either necessary or has an answer to this issue.

Guru

• 

497 Messages

14 years ago

Is that phone line run spliced at any point or is it a direct run?  If it was I don't think they would have used the line.

I ran a new cat5e line to the NID since I didn't want any fuss about it.  It's waiting for the installer to connect at both ends. 

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

14 years ago

no splices, it's just old wire. I just checked my logs and line 1 has tons of errors compared to line 2. I'll call my tech and let him know so he'll have at least some place to start.

Mentor

• 

98 Messages

14 years ago

I read your first post with great interest as I am having a similar problem. I got my U-verse installed 6 weeks ago and had lots of problems, including a router reset every 12hours or close to that. My NID is outside the house, a battery backup unit close to the router.My issue is a combination of two things though I think. My battery pack was never working correctly. Since the first install the unit would reset and the low battery warning light would blink and beep. A reset works, but only for about 12 hours. I've had the battery replaced twice already with no luck. The last technician said that this is a recent problem and they believe it's a software problem. The software checks the battery, finds it not charged or below a minimum charge and it will report the error. In my case the entire backup unit reboots, which I assume is caused by the NID outside the house. then the router reboots as well. I loose broadband for up to 30min. Sometimes the router does this a couple more times before it's stable again for another day.

The last technician said they found a way to circumvent the battery problem. Unplug it for at least 48hrs so the software stops checking the battery. Then install the battery and according to him it should charge and the software will find a "good" battery. Unfortunately, that didn't work. Sick of the red light, I unplugged the battery entirely. The backup unit does not reboot itself anymore, however the router still loses broadband entirely every day, about 12 hours apart between 730 and 830pm.The lines from the NID to the backup unit are brand -new and were checked three times already.

If you find a solution to your problem, I'd love to hear about it.

I am close to giving another call.

Router: 2Wire i38HG

NID: 2Wire i3812V

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

14 years ago

I have no battery backup since I don't have the uverse phone. I have a regular phone line line instead. I will consider your issue since you have the same problem without using the battery.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

14 years ago

2836iA82EDFACFCAA1E332834iE4D35D0B97BFAE83This is an image of what happens just before I go down. And another one just as it goes down. got lucky getting that one.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.