Japher's profile

Mentor

• 

84 Messages

Wednesday, January 28th, 2015 6:54 PM

DVR is busy .. try again later

This morning my daughter was trying to watch a show and the DVR popped up the message "The DVR is busy.  Please try again later."

Tried all the usually tricks but was not able to watch live TV or recorded shows for almost 90 minutes.

Any thoughts on what is going on?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Can you list "all the usual tricks"? Not sure what you mean.

This usually comes up when attempting a recording activity on the DVR menu or guide. Not seen it out of the blue.

If it is the DVR do a pull the plug reboot,

If non DVR, do whole house reboot -

Pull power on RG, DVR & all others.

restart RG, wait for all green

restart DVR, wait for viewing.

restart others.

Mentor

• 

84 Messages

9 years ago

@aviewer wrote:

Can you list "all the usual tricks"? Not sure what you mean.

This usually comes up when attempting a recording activity on the DVR menu or guide. Not seen it out of the blue.

If it is the DVR do a pull the plug reboot,

If non DVR, do whole house reboot -

Pull power on RG, DVR & all others.

restart RG, wait for all green

restart DVR, wait for viewing.

restart others.

The usual tricks..  power cycling the DVR via the remote,  via the button on the box, going into recorded shows and back to TV,  and pulling the plug on the DVR.

This morning my daughter got up and around 10am tried to turn on the TV.  Nothing scheduled to record and no lights on the DVR to indicate a recording was in progress.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Here's two more reboots you cann try -

Non-Destructive Disaster Recovery on the DVR.

Unplug the power cord of the DVR from the wall or from the back of the box and wait ten seconds. Plug the DVR back in.

When three white dots appear on the screen, unplug the DVR again. Repeat this process two more times.

Plug the DVR back in on the third time and leave in. Three white dots appear followed by a gear with a status bar at the bottom of the screen.

If the Disaster Recovery screen does not appear, repeat the steps above. If the Disaster Recovery screen appears, wait until completion.

If the Non-Destructive Disaster Recovery does not work, follow the steps for a Force Disaster Recovery (DESTRUCTIVE MEANS THE RECORDINGS ARE DESTROYED).

Do this on the front panel of the DVR itself, not on the remote:

1. Press and hold down the power button.
2. Within 1 second, also press and hold down the OK and down arrow buttons.
3. All 3 front panel lights (red, green, blue will come on). At this point, release the power button, but continue holding down OK and down arrow.
4. When you see a gear appear on the screen, release OK and down arrow.

The system will reload the factory software from the network. This will take 20-30 minutes, and then the system will reboot.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @Japher,

I am sorry you are having issues with your U-verse TV service, but I will be glad to help. All the DVR content actually is accessed of the main DVR, and all the receivers interact with it. If it is having problems or is offline, then you will encounter this error. Here is a great post that goes over how to get it working if your DVR is not function. If it is, but you are getting that error, try rebooting the DVR and the U-verse gateway by unplugging the power and  plugging it back.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@Japher wrote:

This morning my daughter was trying to watch a show and the DVR popped up the message "The DVR is busy.  Please try again later."

Tried all the usually tricks but was not able to watch live TV or recorded shows for almost 90 minutes.

Any thoughts on what is going on?

That's a routine ATT added when the DVR is doing something and does not want to respond.  I usually only see it 2-4am after work and it gets me p' off every time.  Reboots won't help. Smiley Mad

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mentor

• 

84 Messages

9 years ago

So far it has not repeated when it interfered with our usage.  I'll keep watching and see what happens

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.