collins.1037's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, July 25th, 2015 11:26 PM

DVR hard drive and another

(Probably) stupid question: Why do the hard drives in our DVRs have to run all the time?

(Probably) stupid question: Why do all of those green lights have to be flashing on the modem(?) all the time?

We are wasting beaucoup electricity when you add up all of those lights in all of the houses with these devices.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

1) The disk doesn't actually run all the time.  It runs at anytime the DVR needs it to record, playback or buffer (for Live trick-play functions like Pause/rewind/FF) or when processing schedule updates.  Note that when another STB is watching live TV, the DVR's hard drive is buffering for that other Set Top.  I hear mine spin up in the middle of the night, and then spin down a minute or so later.

2) The "lights", actually LEDs, have to flash all the time because they give you status information about what the RG is doing.  It can be very helpful for troubleshooting.  Since the RG doesn't know when it's having trouble and you need the status lights, and since you need to know what's a normal pattern and what's not a normal pattern, they have to run all the time.  However, these aren't very bright LEDs, and they don't take all that much power.  If you have a conventional nightlight anywhere in your home, it's burning more electricity than all the LEDs in your RG.  Which is why the newest thing in general lighting these days is LED based lights.  BTW, it's good that they're flashing green.  If they're flashing Red, well, that's not good.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

9 years ago

The light indicators that display wether you have service or not probally run you about 5 cents a month (if that). I wouldnt worry too much about it. As far as the hard drive in your DVR, shows are recorded and stored to it but also system infoormation is stored on a partition and everytime the system needs it it will run the hard drive.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks. That explains the whole thing, and I'm happy. Great work!

Regards,

P. Collins

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.