Xenoquake's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Saturday, October 3rd, 2015 4:29 AM

DVR and horrible connection speed

1) I'm very dissappointed with my service so far. I've had it for less than a month and have lost all of my DVR recordings overnight. Poof! Gone! Tech support was not helpful. Getting a $20 credit, was ok, but really, this is why I have cable, to record shows and watch them. Tech support said I could call billing to try and work out a better reimbursement, but never fear, that didn't happen.

2) Apparently my connection speed dwindles late at night. 83 ping. 9.35mbps.. when I should be getting over 15. I'll "restart" the router, but this is getting terrible. 

AT&T - sorry to complain, but please create a self diagnosing program that can run behind the scenes to make sure each unit is working to each user's account settings. If my line drops below 15mbps, run a program without restarting that will optimize my settings. Secondly, if DVR recordings dissappear (which I have seen plenty of posts where they have), why don't you log events on the receiver for a period of time so you can go back and review if it was a human error or if the receiver is defective... or maybe even the power goes out. I'm tired of getting tech support guys that don't know jack and tell me to reset the box when that is the first thing I do to make sure that's not the issue.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @Xenoquake,

We are sorry about the issues you are having with your DVR and internet. If you are having issues with your wireless internet connection, here is a great post over some things you can do to help improve the speed. With the DVR, we greatly apologize about that. Like all modern equipment, there are possibilities of issues, but this should not be happening normally. If you do continue to notice these type of issues, let us know, and we can get it replaced.

-ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you for your response, however this is not my wireless connection, this is a hard line connection directly to the router. And yes, it's happening yet again.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

I reset the IP. I reset the connection. Oh, and I reset the router. Still same crappy connection speeds. All I want is a good ping and download speed, is that too much to ask for?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

Would you mind doing the following:

1) Be specific: rather than state "crappy speeds," please continue to provide examples from your speed tests.  I see one specific mention in the original post.

2) Go to your Gateway (at http://192.168.1.254/ ), click on the Broadband tab and find the sync rates and error counts.  Screen shot that table and paste it in a reply in this thread.

3) Provide the actual service tier that you subscribe to and the manufacturer and model of gateway that you have.

4) Please indicate your level of awareness that viewing HD tv programs affects your HSI download bandwith capacity.

5) Visiting the link to the AT&T Troulbleshoot and Resolve tool that the AT&TUverseCare group included in their reply to you, an automated troubleshooting tool like that you asked for, and see what it tells you about your connection.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

JefferMC - You are probably the first person I have talked to who has seemd relatively competent and knowlegeable with how things work, so that is greatly appreciated.

1) right now, my speeds are running great (19ms,  22.92 Mbps d/l, and 1.82 u/l), however earlier when I was running tests I was getting numbers around (150ms, 9Mbps, 1.0u/l). 

2) I cleared the stats earlier just to see what errors would occur. Here's what I've had since then..screenshot.jpg

3) I have the Uverse Max plus (18Mbps) and the gateway is the Motorola NVG589

4) I haven't had any issues with viewing any HD tv programs, however I did loose all of my DVRd shows a few days ago for no reason.

5) I'll check that out now... thanks for the help!

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

Okay, you are a dual-pair VDSL2 subscriber on a 25/2 profile.  Which means the maximum data flow down is 25 Mbps and 2 Mbps.  From this you get HSI 18/1.5 and IPTV.  As you can see, U-verse lets you exceed the 18 and the 1.5, but you cannot ever exceed 25 and 2.

Please be aware that watching or recording HD streams will use up 6 Mbps of the capacity of your profile, leaving insufficient resources for you to get your full HSI.  So:

1 HD stream: 25 - 6 = 19 Mbps, still okay

2 HD streams: 25 - 12 = 13 Mbps, ouch

3 HD streams: 25 - 18 =  7 Mbps, very ouch

3 HD / 1 SD stream: 25 - 20 = 5 Mbps, worst case.

However, this really shouldn't hurt your latency that much.  I suspect that your latency is going down due to something else.  The most likely candidate for that is that something (online backup, etc.) is filling up the upstream pipe.  Don't forget Google Drive photo backups on phones, etc. 

Your SNR looks pretty good, and your attenuation looks reasonable given that you're probably around 3000' from the neighborhood VRAD.  Your FEC is not too high assuming you'd been running at least 3 minutes since you reset the stats.  Yes, absolutely repost this during/after experiencing an issue.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

I only had one show recording at the time of this last incident, it was HD. As far as cloud drives, I don't typically keep the connections live as to not take up the bandwidth, so I'm fairly confident that this wasn't the reason, but I'll double check all of my connections in case there's some rogue computer doing some strange things.

Thanks again for your help.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

So maybe it's a late night thing, but I just did a speed test (no recordings at all on the DVR at the moment), and here are my results:

173ping

6.66mbps down

1.34 up

Line StateUpUpDownstream Sync Rate (kbps)1260712607

Upstream Sync Rate (kbps)10241024

Downstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)3123232016

Upstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)58076755

ModulationVDSL2VDSL2Data PathInterleavedInterleaved 

DownstreamUpstreamDownstreamUpstream

SN Margin (dB)20.719.821.722.2

Line Attenuation (dB)44.732.145.431.8

Output Power(dBm)13.08.012.97.9

Errored Seconds0000

Loss of Signal0000

Loss of Frame0000

FEC Errors485106970

CRC Errors0000

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

9 years ago

Try speed tests to different servers. I have gotten poor results from local servers but great results from others farther away a few minutes later.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

1) I agree with the previous poster, do try more than one server with speedtest, some of the servers are slow/overworked

2) I can't see from the table the split between the 4 columns of FEC counts, I also can't tell how long your stats have been collecting for.  Those would be good pieces of information to have.

3) It doesn't look like you've got much (else) going on upstream, or you wouldn't be getting a good upstream measurement, so I'd have to rule that out as a cause.

4) Your latency is high, however.

a) Can you do a "tracert 8.8.8.8" in a command window and see what you get back.

b) Is this connection you're running this speed test on wired or wireless?  If wireless, can you do a test from a wired machine?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.